Release [Rebirth Competition] Dino Defense

Licence is all your choice, whatever you decide to put in there is all good :) The licence section in the PXML is intended to be a word or two, click "Package Contents" on this page for an example of how it displays:

http://repo.openpand...detail&app=aaaa

So you could put "Custom - see readme" in that section, then add your custom licence text in the readme. Or you could put a separate licence.txt in the PND if you like - but in the readme is better, as it is directly accessible from the Pandora menu.

Personally I'm glad to see you developing for the platform. I always enjoyed your stuff on GP2X, and was disappointed that circumstances didn't allow the continuation of some of your early work. You're not the only person developing Pandora software without a Pandora, and there is always someone willing to partner up to PND things for you. So I hope this doesn't put you off! The PND system is very well devised IMO, but yes, a bit different and difficult to care about if you don't have the hardware.

So let's get this mcobit PND up, and get back to giving you some feedback on this (very good) game. :) I'll be having a proper play in the next couple of hours.

So I'll add this sentences to readme and put in license tag: Custom freewarelicense: See readme

"The game is not OpenSource. Users may not alter the game or its contents or make the game available commercially; the game must remain freeware and can be distributed freely, however I reserve the sole right to explore commercial avenues at a later date. Ports or conversions of the game for any system require my direct approval. All media and data, were created by and are copyright 2012 Ian Price, unless stated elsewhere, either within the game or in any accompanying .TXT files. These .TXT files must be included with the game in a readable form."

So I will add that, then you can sign up to the repo and upload it there.

If you like, you can send me new binaries and datafiles, if updates occur and add me as a maintainer to the package on the repo. Then I can repackage and reupload, if you like.

This is really a funny game !! Started it just to try a bit... closed after 3 hours... -_-

Yes, it is very amusing :D Love the soundtrack and SFX. Sadly I'm playing through a PTOD so I can't take in the graphics in all their glory on the Pandora screen (but I'm taking plenty of screenshots to check them out on PC). Despite this, and even with the placeholder sprites and some missing music etc, you know as soon as you fire it up that this game is one of those all-round excellent packages. It reminds me of Ruckage's releases on the GP2X.

I'm only about five levels in, but the game design & level progression all feels very refined and the learning curve is good. And of course it's fun. Now I have some items to unlock, BRB...

@iprice: got the PM?

Don't you want to upload it to the repo? ED gave permission to upload entrys to the repo.

Really sorry mcobit - I never noticed the PM. I don't know if the forum highlights PMs other than the little envelope at the top of the screen, but I never got a message. Will have a looksee now. Sorry about that. :(

PMs need to be configured to be useful - otherwise you only get that tiny number next to the envelope...

on-topic: played your game: very original, very nice. i'm sure you get one of my votes hoping to get you a pandora. i've always liked your creations!

Great game iprice, really enjoyed my couple of hours, that was supposed to be 20 mins maximum, with it this afternoon. Extra kudos for producing something this good without even owning a Pandora, have you got one on order?

Really hope you get round to polishing it up, it's a real gem. It would make a great bit of commercial software for IOS / Android IMHO.

Do you have a link for any other games you've made. Something about the carefully considered difficulty curve, lovely sprites & general professional feel of it makes me think this is not your first attempt at making a game. ;)

Cheers chaps.

I did have a Pandora on order - for the first two years+. Then gave up waiting. I've kept my eye on it though throughout the whole period.

As for other games, I've produced loads of freeware stuff. Have a look in the Wiz and GP2X archive for -

B'lox!

Drench

SantaMania

Balloonacy

Guru Logic Champs

Dicey

B'lox! is available on iOS for free on the AppStore.

Guru Logic Champs is also available on the Caanoo.

And don't worry, Dino Defense isn't done just yet :)

I found this a very entertaining game on a quick run through .PNDs today for the ReBirth. Looking forward to a 2nd and future sessions. I hope you keep working on this.

That shouldn't crash, I tested it :( I will test again.

I am really sorry, if it still does.

Do you have at least 10MB free on sdcard?

It needs to copy the Media folder to appdata before launching as a workaround for it being writable.

Edit: It still works for me. Can anyone else confirm, that the pnd crashes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can re-code the save-game profile info if that will help (so it doesn't save to the Media folder). Will saving to the app directory itself help?

I can re-code the save-game profile info if that will help (so it doesn't save to the Media folder). Will saving to the app directory itself help?

application folder will be fine. then it gets redirected to a different SD card directory called "appdata/<pndname>/"

Ok, that will most likely solve the issues and you won't need twice the space for the Media folder :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very enjoyable.

There was one small bug I found.

I died on a level and it popped up and told me what item I got instead of the loss screen. The item I was told I received was a new slot. I, however, did not get it and the level started over when I clicked on it.

Also, might I recommend that if the items for the round are selected and then the shop is entered, that the item selection be restored on return?

For example, I choose my items for the round and then I realize I want some upgrades. I click on the shop and buy some. Upon return all my selected items are cleared and I have to choose them again. It's only a minor inconvenience, but I would prefer them to be restored.

Back