Reality Check - Would you really pre-order on a KS?

Would you give $500 to a Pandora 2 Kickstarter with an 18 month timeline?

• Total voters

Ok, well in that case yes. A bad 1080p screen is worse than a good 720p screen. And can you not simply change your proportions in Linux to make things appear larger? I personally would not use the Linux desktop of a P2 that much, anyway. I would love to get my hands of an iCP2 to use with my phone. And again, as I said, if the P2 is 720p, I won't complain (I love everything ED does) I just won't pay $500 for it.

Anyone fancy putting together a huge survey to handle all the arguing points? (price, craig, screen res, SD cards etc) ;)

Anway, I voted for option #1- "I own a Pandora and would do it."

I'm confident that things will eventually go smoother with the right people behind a P2 project.  No doubt a LOT of things have been learnt from the P1 experience(s)...

Like others I too would do it if ED were running it but not if Craig were.

However, considering that KS now requires prototypes, I'd have to ask why they need such a long time to go from funding to delivery.

Wouldn't matter whether Craig or ED or both are in, I'm most likely skipping the next Pandora. Not because of trust issues, though. But because I would next probably go with a £100-150 device (something like a GCW Zero). But we'll have to see for "Pandora 3".

And furthermore, I don't see it likely that there would be hardware powerful enough to emulate PS2 yet. Until then, PSX, Snes, Nes and Mega Drive (Genesis) emulation are enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, well in that case yes. A bad 1080p screen is worse than a good 720p screen. And can you not simply change your proportions in Linux to make things appear larger? I personally would not use the Linux desktop of a P2 that much, anyway. I would love to get my hands of an iCP2 to use with my phone. And again, as I said, if the P2 is 720p, I won't complain (I love everything ED does) I just won't pay $500 for it.

If it were that simple then we wouldn't see nearly as many complaints about software with dialogue boxes that are bigger than the existing 800x480 screen,

- Neelix

Well, there are a few things I can reply to.

If I do a Pandora successor preorder using Kickstarter, you can be sure I won't start it before I got a fully working prototype incl. case, etc.

Software might not be polished, but I need to be sure that the hardware doesn't have serious bugs left.

I want to have it ready so I can just say "GO!" when Kickstarter is successfull.

I wouldn't expect many delays from then on, as production would happen at GC (and we know they are reliable) and I'd also do a case production in Europe.

Additionally, GC could order the parts and start production right away when Kickstarter is successful, no need to wait until the money is on my account (they do trust me, you know)

Right now, it's still Pandora 1 time though :)

Let's concentrate selling more and delivering the remaining units, we need something to finance the production as a successor first, right? :)

Let's concentrate selling more and delivering the remaining units, we need something to finance the production as a successor first, right? :)
I would think that a P2 kickstarter would be the perfect way to fund the remaining P1s. Just charge a little extra for the KS backers and use that money to fund the remaining P1s. From there you could make sure that all P1s are delivered BEFORE anyone gets a P2

I would happily donate to the prototyping but I wouldn't actually preorder one until they were shipping.

I would think that a P2 kickstarter would be the perfect way to fund the remaining P1s. Just charge a little extra for the KS backers and use that money to fund the remaining P1s. From there you could make sure that all P1s are delivered BEFORE anyone gets a P2
That's not the proper way (IMO) to operate a production launch of a new product.  I agree with ED on this point - it's still time for a the P1 - he needs to fulfill all of the pre-orders and pay back his investors FIRST, before launching any P2.  Carrying over any debt to a future product just doesn't seem right to me...

The Pandora 2 would have to be one helluva device to justify that price.
The laws of development costs and small production runs combined with the specs everyone's talking about pretty much dictate a price in the $500 +/- range.

I think that 1080p is more likely than 720p.  Why?  Because it's becoming a defacto standard on 5"+/- cell phone screens.  I suspect by the time a P2 ever gets built, 1080p will be cheaper for bettter screens than 720p simply due to production volumes.

That said, I have a Galaxy Note II and the 720 screen on it is darn near ideal for a P2.

If I do a Pandora successor preorder using Kickstarter, you can be sure I won't start it before I got a fully working prototype incl. case, etc.

Software might not be polished, but I need to be sure that the hardware doesn't have serious bugs left.

I want to have it ready so I can just say "GO!" when Kickstarter is successfull.

I wouldn't expect many delays from then on, as production would happen at GC (and we know they are reliable) and I'd also do a case production in Europe.

Additionally, GC could order the parts and start production right away when Kickstarter is successful, no need to wait until the money is on my account (they do trust me, you know)

That sounds like a great plan - but where will the $$$,$$$ come from to finance the prototype & hardware?

The existing Pandora is -still- better than any competing product on the market.  (There is no competing product on the market.)

Additionally, it won't work. You can't finance prototyping with Kickstarter. 
You're not supposed to then...?  Seems like that rule gets bent a bit sometimes.

That sounds like a great plan - but where will the $$$,$$$ come from to finance the prototype & hardware?
Don't forget that we got 350K EUR from investors.

That money was used to finance the Pandora 1, but with the business I made, that money will be back once 3800 Pandora 1 has been delivered (to both old and new orders).

We're at about 2700 right now, so there is money coming back into the pot.

Back