Rainy Day - Game Project

@SONY: yeah, 600mhz could be good although I don't know how much all the other stuff (monsters, pickups, extra layers,...) will affect the framerate...
Cheers, mate. :)

Great work, first off.

Second, it is impossible for me to read this thread without getting Gordon Lightfoot's "Rainy Day People" stuck in my head, and now it's stuck in yours too! MUAHAHAHA

(Unless you're too young to have heard that song, or even know who Gordon Lightfoot is)
https://www.youtube.com/embed/d-FtQQV7lIw?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to do the update yesterday so here it is now :)

The gameplay (like I see it now) will be very basic actually, just run/jump and attack enemies. You also have score and there will be tokens to collect (like the one you saw in the video):

- Raindrop = +100 score

- Cloud = +200 score

- Lightning = +500 score

- Sun = +1000 score

So these are comparable to all of those collectables you had in games like Commander Keen and Duke Nukem 1&2,...

The monsters you fight are all sorts of weird bacteria creatures, like these but more evil :p

When I started this project (during the previous compo) I wanted it to be platformer with only 3 levels or so but now I think it's a better idea to focus on just one level for this compo, continue working on it afterwards and make the game a lot longer, maybe even make it more than just a platform game :D I just got a few ideas that I'll discuss with Archibald, stay tuned for more information :)

...continue working on it afterwards and make the game a lot longer, maybe even make it more than just a platform game :D
I think an action platformer RPG/adventure similar to e.g. Zeliard or Faxanadu where you travel through stages from town to town would suit the style of this game quite well.

I discussed it with Archibald. I'll will remain a "short & simple" platform game. ofcourse we're still going for quality art and are going to do our best to make the game world really feel alive (rain and other effects + audio are very important here).

I will try to make a video (on Pandora this time) this weekend :)

Yeah! Yesterday I fixed all the bugs (part changing, text drawing (as that wasn't working either) and most of the slow down. There's still a slow down when jumping and moving toward/against a wall but I'll be looking into that :)

Working on the rain effect now, it's working already but needs some more randomness and the graphics are also placeholders. I made a video of what I have now, it's very short so I didn't upload it on youtube but you can find it here :)

The example from Sony's post is great for a static image.

But in a game, if there are too many raindrops, I think it would distract the player and may create some slow-downs.

Oh a thing that would be pure awesomeness : when rain drops touch the umbrella, they should disappear and make a little "splash" visual effect. (maybe when they touch the ground too…)

Just tried giving the raindrops alpha values and to my surprise it doesn't slow down! I'm also going to use simple lines (drawn by the engine, no sprites) as rain drops so I can give them random lengths and some variation in direction :)

And yes, going to try and see if I can let them collide with the hero and level. I'll do it randomly, some raindrops will just fall through everything like it is now (they are in front of the hero/level), some others will hit and create a splash :)

You're making this game reaching levels of awesomeness rarely seen in an independent game.

Like I said previously, your game will probably be one of the best showcase for the pandora.

@pmprog: Thanks :D

@Kodeln: You really know how to keep me motivated :D Thanks for the nice comment!

Did some more work on the rain. Looks so much better (still no collision though):

OLD vs NEW

(The music in the video is just a cd playing in the background, the rain and thunder is from the game itself)

Yeah, just noticed my website itself is offline too... When I try to login to my setting it says: Access denied. Your account was suspended :( ....... So going to contact them, see what's wrong...

I get a 404 on all the videos too :(

404kitten.jpg

Seems I was over my limit (and still am) don't know that much about webspace but does it keep backup files or something? I threw away a few files but it still says I'm 6,7mb over my capacity...

Just uploaded the video to youtube (if this video doesn't work then it means it has been deleted and better footage is available)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX0sMZqBgkI

Liking it very much. How far through do you think you are?

Back