Rainy Day - Game Project

As promised a video :D (sorry for the "bad" quality, still haven't found a good program to do sceen video capturing...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuFpMDT144

As you can see, the hero graphics are all there (except for attacking while in the air). The level is still a test and there's only one part at the moment (that's why when he left the screen at the right he came back in the same place). That floating sun will be a score pickup (working on that now).

The game is looking very cool. I don't know why but it reminds me of the Fantastic Dizzy. Also, more obviously, reminds me of Braid.

Nice!

One question about the attack animation: Is the character slashing with the side of the umbrella, or thrusting with the tip? Right now it looks like slashing, but if you intended a thrust you could add another frame with the characters arm straightened to poke with the umbrella and make the animation 1/4 faster.

Good job, keep going that way, you'll make the nicest platform game on Pandora!
wub.gif

Nice!

One question about the attack animation: Is the character slashing with the side of the umbrella, or thrusting with the tip? Right now it looks like slashing, but if you intended a thrust you could add another frame with the characters arm straightened to poke with the umbrella and make the animation 1/4 faster.

He's slashing with the umbrella :)

@Others: Thank you all for the nice comment, They sure keep me/us motivated ^__^

Awesome work again my friend!!

And about screen recording: i use hypercam 2 (free version). It lets you select a window, with or without titlebar and edge, and can record sound. Earlier versions had a "Unregistered Hypercam" notice in the top left of the recorded vid, but that has been removed in the one of the latest versions. Used it since the first Panjoust vids (with "unregisterd" notice) and more recently my minecraft video's (with the new version so without notice). Check My Youtube Channel, quality is pretty high (heavily depending on the compression you use ofcourse, some vids are bit more crappy to conserve upload size).

Hope that helps, and looking forward to the release :)

Cheers!

Due to homebrew titles like this, I don't give a damn that there are no commercial titles being developed for our Pandora.

This looks absolutely fantastic. I'm really curious to see more gameplay elements.

Hi authors, what is (current or planned) License of the game? I'm interested in porting/running it on another devices (e.g. computer and Nokia N900).

Hi authors, what is (current or planned) License of the game? I'm interested in porting/running it on another devices (e.g. computer and Nokia N900).

Don't know that much about licences but Archibald mentioned GNU GPL :) It sure would be cool to have it for more devices than just the Pandora. It does run on Windows already and can do a Linux build myself too :)

Time for an update :)

This weekend I received my Pandora :D Finally I can test my game :) and I did and found 2 weird bugs/glitches/issues...

1. The platform that I can jump through from underneath don't work... The collision doesn't seem to work at all but I think I will be able to fix this one easily :) At the moment I'm using RGB(127, 127, 127)->(gray) but I'll try a more common colour like Magenta (or change the non collision colour to magenta and use white for the platforms).

2. The level switch code doesn't work properly... After fading in again the game runs a lot slower and the screen doesn't scroll anymore.... I'll have to do some debugging here.

Apart from this it runs fine at 500mhz, it's not SUPER smooth but it's perfectly playable :) I'll try and fix the problems and also do some test for the rain (have an idea but there's a good chance it will slow down the game too much) and then maybe I'll include it in a Pandora video I'll make (hopefully this weekend) :)

1. The platform that I can jump through from underneath don't work... The collision doesn't seem to work at all but I think I will be able to fix this one easily :) At the moment I'm using RGB(127, 127, 127)->(gray) but I'll try a more common colour like Magenta (or change the non collision colour to magenta and use white for the platforms).

2. The level switch code doesn't work properly... After fading in again the game runs a lot slower and the screen doesn't scroll anymore.... I'll have to do some debugging here.
1) I think you are on the right track for a fix. Pandora can only run in 16b depth currently. You are probably trying to test a colour that can't be represented at this depth. I've had to fix similar bugs internally in Penjin before.

2) Yup debugging is key... No useful suggestions here...

Time for an update :)

Apart from this it runs fine at 500mhz, it's not SUPER smooth but it's perfectly playable :) I'll try and fix the problems and also do some test for the rain (have an idea but there's a good chance it will slow down the game too much) and then maybe I'll include it in a Pandora video I'll make (hopefully this weekend) :)
Thank you. :)

So, a little over-clocking is needed for perfect play? 600?

@Caine: Thank you so much :lol:

Issue 1 is fixed, still debugging issue 2...

Found another thing that causes serious slow downs when walking against a wall, it's partly solved I think, still need to test it on Pandora :)

@SONY: yeah, 600mhz could be good although I don't know how much all the other stuff (monsters, pickups, extra layers,...) will affect the framerate...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work, first off.

Second, it is impossible for me to read this thread without getting Gordon Lightfoot's "Rainy Day People" stuck in my head, and now it's stuck in yours too! MUAHAHAHA

(Unless you're too young to have heard that song, or even know who Gordon Lightfoot is)

Back