[poll] Vote For Nulldc Dreamcast Emulator On Pandora!

Do you want to see the nullDC Dreamcast emulator on the pandora?

• Yes!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No! - I just dont want it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! - I don''t think its possible / reasonable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a video of PoP on Dreamcast running full speed for comparison.
CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrzJea-YCJw

Amazing work guys. With all the skepticism and negativity I've read surrounding a DC emu on the Pandora, I definitely wasn't expecting any progress to this extent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I refuse to believe that there could be a playable Dreamcast emulator available at launch. ZeZu, your work has been amazing.

Actually the graphics on POP are pretty complete.

Thanks guys ;)

With public beta testing, you'll all get to have a run at it as soon as I can ensure it even does run on the pandora (i'm 100% sure it will, just may need a bit of tweaking first)

What resolution do you run the Beagleboard at? POP is looking pretty good already.

Have you tried that Crazy Taxi game again? I remember the graphics messing up, like the road disappearing.

Amazing work - I as always thought it would be given your work on NullDC and NullDCe already

This should really make some of the non-believers raise an eyebrow or two

Ok so we are not expecting ultra fast as at Dreamcast speed for all games but with a bit of patience you would expect alot of games to be playable at some point.

My only question for now is - how do I rip my old Dreamcast CD's into a format usable by the emulator ? - please let me know

Shit only just completed getting my PSX titles sorted, now I have a stack of old GD-ROMs to figure out :rolleyes:

Crazy Taxi problems on psp were because psp's gpu just *ingores* triangles that fall outside the clipping region.

'RajTakhar' said:
My only question for now is - how do I rip my old Dreamcast CD's into a format usable by the emulator ? - please let me know

Shit only just completed getting my PSX titles sorted, now I have a stack of old GD-ROMs to figure out :rolleyes:
With great difficulty, I'd imagine. You'd be better off just downloading copies of the games.

'Esn' said:
Regarding the analog shoulder buttons, it should be possible to control speed in racing games by releasing the button temporarily when you want to slow down. I admittedly do not own THAT many DC games (just a dozen or so, including a few racing titles), but I can not think of one where this would be an issue.
That just wouldn't work. For instance in Sega Rally and, more specifically, Daytona you often only want to hold the brake down half way to correct a slide. Sometimes you want to accelerate lightly round the bend but pushing hard down on the throttle will send you into a spin.

It's already been confirmed that Saga Rally won't work, so that's academic. Not sure about Daytona. Does anybody know if it uses WinCE?

I didn't see anyone else post this yet, but wouldn't it be possible to use the right analog for both triggers? Have one axis set to the right trigger and one axis set the the left.

Examples:
1) slowly press up on the stick to slowly press the right trigger
2) slowly press left on the stick to slowly press the left trigger
3) Use any combination of up left for any combination of trigger depression

The only problem with this is we don't have two thumbs on each hand so you won't be able to use the face buttons, but you will have 2 extra triggers to map to 2 face buttons. Just an idea.

'DasFool' said:
I didn't see anyone else post this yet, but wouldn't it be possible to use the right analog for both triggers? Have one axis set to the right trigger and one axis set the the left.

Examples:
1) slowly press up on the stick to slowly press the right trigger
2) slowly press left on the stick to slowly press the left trigger
3) Use any combination of up left for any combination of trigger depression

The only problem with this is we don't have two thumbs on each hand so you won't be able to use the face buttons, but you will have 2 extra triggers to map to 2 face buttons. Just an idea.
It's been suggested and the Devs have confirmed that they will implement this system.
Does anybody know if something like this would work with the Pandora? It says it needs a driver for Windows, so I'm guessing not?

CODE

http://www.4triangles.com/catalog/trio-linker-plus-gamecube-ps2-dreamcast-to-pc-usb-p-116.html

Most of these devices register as normal HID pads, so they should work with linux (well, i have 2 and both of em work as normal HID pads, but i don't use linux).I don't know specifically for pandora.

'ZeZu' said:
@Monk, your post is both thoughtfull and amusing,
My main aims have been met :)

'ZeZu' said:
however i think you very much overthought that out.
Nah - given the average amount of thought behind a line of text on the Internet, I'm just trying to provide some balance...

'ZeZu' said:
the original post was ... mostly just to see some real numbers and interest.
Another aim achieved, I reckon - "Yes" has tipped 88% at time of writing :)

'Gruso' said:
As mentioned earlier we have had a -lot- of useless polls from non-devs who thought an N64 emulator would magically appear if they started a thread about it. I know I speak for at least 87% of people when I say -this- thread is welcome to stay. :D
This cannot, IMHO, be overstated. Pandora enthusiasts are very enthusiastic and often committed (or at least, some of them should be). There seems to be a surprisingly wide range of age groups interested in this device, and some errr youthfull exuberance has lead to some rather "hopeful" posts. I am pretty sure that most, if not all, are well-intentioned but they are sometime slightly fanciful, assuming that just posting will "make it so" or that the stunning new advances that they've found (about 3 or 5 year old tech) will be interesting news for the Pandora developers. This has lead to some, um, irritability on the part of those who have seen the same (or very similar) questions/proposals asked/made time and time again :(

Both ar eIMHO understandable, especially given how exciting the Pandora project is. But nerves can get rubbed a bit raw on both sides :(

'ZeZu' said:
Actually the graphics on POP are pretty complete.

Thanks guys ;)

With public beta testing, you'll all get to have a run at it as soon as I can ensure it even does run on the pandora (i'm 100% sure it will, just may need a bit of tweaking first)
The PoP Video looks very promising. :) Do other games also run at this speed already or are Dreamcast Games technicaly different so other Games need more "Hardware and Software tricks" to run properly? I would like to see one of the great Marvel/SNK vs. Capcom Titles for the Dreamcast, Sonic Adventure of course and the great Super Puzzle Fighter II (with dreamcast exclussive game modes :D) Puzzle Fighter is only 2D so I think it shouldn't be to hard to get it playable. :)

I sent you guys a couple of bucks. I'd love playable dreamcast emulation.

Very exciting. I didn't expect to see any games running for a few weeks at least. For comparison, could we see this running at 600/110?

Oh, wow. That video is nothing short of incredible - very, very impressive, good job! (This has even prompted me to look into picking up a bunch of Dreamcast stuff that I missed out on the first time around, so thankyou. :D This ought to be fun.)

'Pleng' said:
Does anybody know if something like this would work with the Pandora? It says it needs a driver for Windows, so I'm guessing not?

CODE

http://www.4triangles.com/catalog/trio-linker-plus-gamecube-ps2-dreamcast-to-pc-usb-p-116.html
I have one of these, and use Linux exclusively - as drkIIRaziel notes, it shows up as a standard HID thing, and works fine (I can't think of any reason, therefore, why it wouldn't work with anything on the Pandora that would be compatible with USB control pads). It's a good adapter, and I haven't noticed any lag with it. The Windows drivers for things like this only ever seem to relate to things like force feedback, as I understand it. :p

@MDave, yes i was the poster, and I am one of two nullDC developers..
Why does a poll has to be silly/not usefull? Just because its not usefull to you personally? The first question in the poll is of personal interest for me/us, the second one goes back to a discussion based on another post about the emulator.

My post showed nothing that talks about my interests only, but as developers and people in general. I'm looking out for others interests. When it comes to these things, I believe it's your own opinion that matters the most when it comes to weather you should develop something or not. Why develop something you'll hate to develop for, when you have no obligation to do so? :)

From what I've seen, you must enjoy developing the emulator enough to get it this far. Nice work on the emulator! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back