Quick video of the case

Color / Plastics decision is still months off, you know... that would be AFTER the molds are finished which will happen AFTER the design is finished and tested with the PCB design...
Please don't paint the Device this time, instead use different plastic colours. I like to remember that the paint itself caused some tolerances/fitting trouble on the Pandora but I guess you already know that.

That's cool. I thought it was just an idea but if it really happens that would be neat. A red case would still be pretty cool in my opinion tho. My Gameboy color was red, and i absolutely loved it's color. For some reason it always reminded me of a red Popsicle or ice cream...sometimes even candy.
Maybe you are right about red still looking good. I was just thinking about the redundancy of it.

Not to mention it looked really bad when the paint would rub in the high traffic areas.

Chris
Wouldn't that look bad regardless of what finish? :lol:

I knew there would be a vote of some kind in regards to color before the final product is shipped, but black should really be the last color choice, as the Pyra should have it's own identity, and at first glance, many could mistake it for the Pandora if black is chosen, which wouldn't be good for any new potential consumers(just my 2 cents).

Chris
You mean besides the light up logo on the back?

:eek:

*patpats his Pandora classic*

Don't listen to the mean ol' Jumpman, he doesn't know what he's talking about. You're beautiful!
:lol:

Yeah, I don't even have the Pandora in hand and still disagree with him.

but black should really be the last color choice, as the Pyra should have it's own identity, and at first glance, many could mistake it for the Pandora if black is chosen, which wouldn't be good for any new potential consumers(just my 2 cents).
So we have to listen to you only for the color because you're the only person that matters or something ? :p

It's not only the color that defines the identity, it's the whole design of the thing.

As for "many would mistake it for the Pandora" is ridiculous since "many" don't even know about the Pandora in the first place! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Fascinating to see how things are getting shape more and more, and fast :) Looking so much forward to the finished Pyra :)

Personally, I really like the black of the Pandora, but that's because I like my computing devices being black. Think Lenovo Thinkpad or IBM system x servers... The other colors make it too "toy" like for me. 

One question - why was the audio jack moved from the front to the back? The front seems like a really good idea to me - there seems like there's space in the case there, and then your headphones aren't draping around the back. I don't really care that much, but there you  go.

Gunmetal grey always sounds cool, but really it's just dark grey with a cool name ;)
BMW uses hellgrau as a colourcode for their cars, or at least they used to.  Means whole-gray. Hel is the god of death, which translates to how that word means circle. Death is not a bad thing in european religion, moreso than it is something that provides new life.

Professional lens gear and military gear is oft gray.

One question - why was the audio jack moved from the front to the back? The front seems like a really good idea to me - there seems like there's space in the case there, and then your headphones aren't draping around the back. I don't really care that much, but there you  go.
There's place in the case but not on the PCB.

There's place in the case but not on the PCB.
PCB_3.png

Is the space on the side of the SD card slot too small or being used by something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
You've made the right decision, ED. Headphones at the front have caused me a number of problems.

It can't stand in things. Specifically, using it on a treadmill to watch stuff is impossible with the headphones in; those sorts of things.

Lying in bed is also problematic, the plug a slight but perceptible sticking in my stomach.

To a lesser extent, I started using it to play audiobooks on my drive to work: I'll plug it into the aux jack and then drop it into the cup holder. My instincts because of the way I hold it is to drop it in SD card side down which the plug gets in the way of. I need to actively correct myself every time to flip it around.

Cord coming out the back has no effect on these problems.

As for "many would mistake it for the Pandora" is ridiculous since "many" don't even know about the Pandora in the first place! :D
Yeah dude! Everytime I pull out the device I get people saying "What game are you playing?" I'm playing....uuuh Internet? or uuuuh Libre Office... or "That looks like a DS" I always get that. I pulled it out in my computer class since I can't stand my classes' computers or their broken down keyboards and the lady next to me said "Oh that looks like my son's old DS"

haha :) oh well

Looking very good. And I have to say I'm glad you're taking care of the case as early as you can, I always felt that the case was a big contribution to the long delay of the Pandora.

Now the µSD card slot, on the other hand, shouldn't be blocked by the battery --in practice, on 'normal devices' (but the Pyra has two external SD slots anyway - you could use the internal µSD card for more essential things, such as OS-level partitions or what have you).
Except that the uSD slot replaces the internal storage. If it's in use, then it's the default boot device. In normal operation removing this card while the Pyra is in use would crash the system, so it makes sense to block it with the battery.

- Neelix

Looking very good. And I have to say I'm glad you're taking care of the case as early as you can, I always felt that the case was a big contribution to the long delay of the Pandora.
Since production will be close by instead of halfway around the globe, I can't imagine the case ever being that bad again(knock on wood) ;)

Chris

Back