Quick video of the case

WOW, looking very nice ED. I'm really digging the button layout with the 2 smaller buttons placement to allow for proper 6 button game play. 

I know the case and color are far from final, but please, can we have any other color besides black? The blue looks very nice, or a nice gun metal grey would also be very cool. I just personally hate all black handhelds, as they are dust magnets, and just don't show any personality.

Another quick question? This case looks very close to the Pandora, which isn't a problem in and of it's self, but the Pandora's overall box shape where you held the unit is death to the hands, as was the US NES game pads(you guys know what I mean). Nothing square is ever a good fit in the hands. Is there any plans to round the edges as well as the corners to make the Pyra more hand friendly?

Really great work to all who are involved. I'm really looking forward to Pyra launch day. This really looks like a much better operation and production from the start. Cant wait!

Chris

Wow, I've been away for a few months and I'm blown away at the progress that has been made. Not just with the case but the pcb, screen, and the OS. This is moving right along. I like where the speakers are and the extra mico sd slot (for the OS?). I need to find the thread where the extra buttons were added and is there an extra row of keys on the key mat? I'll have to go grab my Pandora and see.

Keep up the good work ED!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the case and color are far from final, but please, can we have any other color besides black? The blue looks very nice, or a nice gun metal grey would also be very cool. I just personally hate all black handhelds, as they are dust magnets, and just don't show any personality.
Black is not a dust magnet, glossy is a dust (and fingerprint) magnet. Matte black is no problem.

I like black :p

But if I had a choice I might get another color like red :) I don't know why but after seeing that one fan-made prototype render in red I have been want to get a red case for the Pyra. It might just look really cool. I am not much of a fan of gray, but I know many others are.

There could be more than one color, or there could be a varied pattern of a couple colors.  I like rough matt black with a coffee colored pattern lined between here and there.

http://throwbackreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/atari-woody.jpg

WOW, looking very nice ED. I'm really digging the button layout with the 2 smaller buttons placement to allow for proper 6 button game play. 
You won't be able to press them both at the same time without hitting the A button.  It's not any easier than using than using the O and P keys as the other two buttons on the Pandora, which don't look like they'll be lined up well for that anymore on the Pyra either.

There could be more than one color, or there could be a varied pattern of a couple colors.
Having several colors is a headache, I have already mentioned why several times on these boards. Molds are very expensive and changing the color completely usually requires another mold because plastic properties are heavily influenced by the masterbatch (color pigments) included to render the color. 

Of course with a single mold there is some range of color that' possible but it' very limited. That's why it takes YEARS for Nitendo to qualify and release different colors of their DS's, and they certainly are not available all at once.

Nintendo release four different colour GBA's at launch in Europe IIRC - purple, pink, clear blue and white IIRC. They only launch extra colours when console sales start to flag, to either entice new buyers or make the avid fans buy the new colours, some of which become pretty rare in a few years down the line.

Not sure how different it is in Japan. I know Sony generally release more colours in Japan than in Europe. Anyway, I'm not sure Nintendo is the best example of what's possible.

We should simply vote what should be the color of the Pyra.

If Ed makes some propositions with images, we could have a poll.

Color / Plastics decision is still months off, you know... that would be AFTER the molds are finished which will happen AFTER the design is finished and tested with the PCB design...

I like black :p

But if I had a choice I might get another color like red :) I don't know why but after seeing that one fan-made prototype render in red I have been want to get a red case for the Pyra. It might just look really cool. I am not much of a fan of gray, but I know many others are.
The led logo can change different colors, there's no need for a red case or maybe

any other color than black or grey. Maybe brown too, but who wants a single color

of brown?

We should simply vote what should be the color of the Pyra.

If Ed makes some propositions with images, we could have a poll.
Link

Last edited by a moderator:
The led logo can change different colors, there's no need for a red case or maybe any other color than black or grey. Maybe brown too, but who wants a single color of brown?
That's cool. I thought it was just an idea but if it really happens that would be neat. A red case would still be pretty cool in my opinion tho. My Gameboy color was red, and i absolutely loved it's color. For some reason it always reminded me of a red Popsicle or ice cream...sometimes even candy.

There could be more than one color, or there could be a varied pattern of a couple colors.  I like rough matt black with a coffee colored pattern lined between here and there.

http://throwbackreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/atari-woody.jpg

You won't be able to press them both at the same time without hitting the A button.  It's not any easier than using than using the O and P keys as the other two buttons on the Pandora, which don't look like they'll be lined up well for that anymore on the Pyra either.
I never used "O" & "P" on the Pandora as buttons, as they where to far away from the other buttons to be of use to me personally. So the Pyra layout is superior in that regard, and why would I need to press them both at the same time? There's no six button games I know of where that would be needed, and if there was, I could just assign one of the shoulder buttons to act as the two buttons, and the problem is solved. 

I just personally hate all black handhelds, as they are dust magnets, and just don't show any personality.
If they are dust magnets then you probably should do something about the dust problem in your place instead of changing the color to make dust less noticeable :p
I live in Las Vegas, and for those of you who don't know, it's in the middle of the desert :p

Black is not a dust magnet, glossy is a dust (and fingerprint) magnet. Matte black is no problem.
True, but the original matte black finish of the Pandora was just "ugly" and made it look really cheap. Not to mention it looked really bad when the paint would rub in the high traffic areas. The light metallic finish on the platinum is way better, and made the newer Pandora's look steps above the original in regards to finished quality.

I knew there would be a vote of some kind in regards to color before the final product is shipped, but black should really be the last color choice, as the Pyra should have it's own identity, and at first glance, many could mistake it for the Pandora if black is chosen, which wouldn't be good for any new potential consumers(just my 2 cents).

Chris

Back