Quick nub update (2010-09-17)

I live in the USA, was born and raised here, and I hate to say it, but our production standards and quality control have gone down the drain. Sadly, this seems to be a worldwide problem, as everyone seems to want to do less, for more.

It seems as though the nub company is trying to step there game up, and correct the problem, but it should have never gotten to this point if they took pride in their business, and the products they produce. :( Oh well, life goes on!

Chris

Agreed. Born and raised in the US as well and I'd never, with perhaps a couple exceptions, buy an American product at this point in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some quick information, as we wanted to know how exactly they test:

1 Cycle is a movement from the center to the full extend of one axis, then to the opposite direction to the full extend and then back to the center.

This is what ALL nubs have to survive at least 500K times, so it's not 500K movements as we all thought at first, basically it's 2,5 movements per cycle.

Sounds way better, eh?

On a sidenote, the units currently produced will be the last ones with the tested nubs. From now on, the board company should produce, stock and test as many without nubs as possible and put the new nubs on there once they are finished.

It doesn't make sense shipping and producing units with tested nubs, as quite a few will still fail after a while (some even don't work properly when we get it because of the tolerance problem), so this would only add to our costs, take a lot of time and wouldn't make the guys happy who have to RMA the unit.

It's the only right thing to do.

1 Cycle is a movement from the center to the full extend of one axis, then to the opposite direction to the full extend and then back to the center.

This is what ALL nubs have to survive at least 500K times, so it's not 500K movements as we all thought at first, basically it's 2,5 movements per cycle.

Sounds way better, eh?

Centre, far left, far right, centre? Sounds like 2 or 4 full movements to me, depending on how you class movement. Still, using your calculations that's about nine years continual casual usage.

My experience is that things actually last much longer than their expected shelf life. For example, apparently tapes (cassette, VHS, BetacamSP &c.) have a twenty five year life span, but I've sorted through archives from the early eighties that are all in perfect condition.

Just some quick information, as we wanted to know how exactly they test:

Sounds way better, eh?

On a sidenote, the units currently produced will be the last ones with the tested nubs. From now on, the board company should produce, stock and test as many without nubs as possible and put the new nubs on there once they are finished.

It doesn't make sense shipping and producing units with tested nubs, as quite a few will still fail after a while (some even don't work properly when we get it because of the tolerance problem), so this would only add to our costs, take a lot of time and wouldn't make the guys happy who have to RMA the unit.

It's the only right thing to do.

So instead of 500k movements it's 1.25m movements? That's doesn't sound better at all; it sounds like the nubs are going to be that much closer to being completely worn out by the time they even get to me!

So instead of 500k movements it's 1.25m movements? That's doesn't sound better at all; it sounds like the nubs are going to be that much closer to being completely worn out by the time they even get to me!

Having some experience in a manufacturing environment, they most likely have a shorter / less wearing test normally. They most likely test only several out of a batch run fully like they mentioned above to check if that batch is fine. If those few parts that are fully tested and don't meet requirements then they need to hold that batch figure what is causing the lifespan to be not so good and find out how to fix it. Trust me it would be dumb to stress every nub that goes to the customer like mentioned. Not only will it cause early wear... but cuts into there bottom line by spending so much time overly testing.

But I'm no expert on nubs..

Yep, that's exactly what you do. You pick certain amount of a batch and test them. None should fail before that value.

Of course, all prototypes need to pass the test as well before they start the mass production.

We're getting there :)

Are we talking about ISO 9001? Because as far as I know, that doesn't certify quality. It just certifies that their process is standardized.
Correct. And even worse: i knew of a company (my own), which was ISO 9001 certified for one field of their activities, but used the certificate for all of their activities, since the actual certificate didn't state which branch of the company was tested. So much for ISO 9001.

View PostUserFormerlyKnownAsGerix, on 21 September 2010 - 02:51 PM, said:
Are we talking about ISO 9001? Because as far as I know, that doesn't certify quality. It just certifies that their process is standardized.
Correct. And even worse: i knew of a company (my own), which was ISO 9001 certified for one field of their activities, but used the certificate for all of their activities, since the actual certificate didn't state which branch of the company was tested. So much for ISO 9001.

hi, i'm a french quality manager,

ISO 9001 doesn't certificate a quality level or standardisation of processes, it just certificate that the management system of the entity is standardised and aimed to the customer... The only item it warranty to us is that they don't do the same error 2 times...

in france, we say it's a "formalité" or just "pipo" because everybody can obtain one easely....

sorry for my poor english

kind regards

It time for some more Nub News please. Even if it's no news.

New materials must have been delivered by now and I'd hope that new prototypes have been made and being tested.

So... were are we?

It time for some more Nub News please. Even if it's no news.

New materials must have been delivered by now and I'd hope that new prototypes have been made and being tested.

So... were are we?

Not delivered yet, but should arrive any day.

You can be sure I'll let you know as soon as I know more :)

yeah, i noticed that its a bit quiet here when it comes to updates... hmmm?

Well, I wrote they will be there earliest until the end of last week. That doesn't mean they WILL.

There was some holidays in China (where they get the parts for the nubs from) from Oct. 1 - 7.

(you can check it out here).

Now they're back at work since end of last week and should send the new parts out (or already sent them out).

Well, I wrote they will be there earliest until the end of last week. That doesn't mean they WILL.

There was some holidays in China (where they get the parts for the nubs from) from Oct. 1 - 7.

(you can check it out here).

Now they're back at work since end of last week and should send the new parts out (or already sent them out).
Chinese people legally enjoy over 115 days off including 104 days of weekends and 11 days of festivals
No wonder we have no nubs, thats insane.

edit: oops didnt read it properly ill allow them 104 days of weekend.

No wonder we have no nubs, thats insane.

edit: oops didnt read it properly ill allow them 104 days of weekend.

They get weekends off? Next they'll make it illegal to employ children under 10 years old. It's the start of the slippery slope.

I have actually lived and worked in rural North China. People most certainly do not enjoy 115 days off. I'd still have lived there were that true. 

Although I'm guessing the child slavery post was made in jest, that's simply not true either. Most children who are slaving away are doing so in the countryside out of necessity. 

Back