Release Quake2 With Nub Control

But the dark side has a smooth, easy smoking flavour, that causes less irritation than the light side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice :) I have a few questions now that it's possible to play and test it:

1: How much 'travel' is there? Meaning, is there plenty of push before the analog reaches it's maximum 'tilt' or in this case push? Reason I ask is to see how hard or easy it is to get the amount of push you want when moving or looking around in a fps.

2: Adding a deadzone via software is great, but it also reduces the amount of travel distance. Is it too sensitive that it needs a pretty big deadzone, or?

And one request: Please make the deadzone's user configurable, because some people prefer higher or lower sensitivity ranges ;) a simple cvar for the quake's would be great.

a simple cvar for the quake's would be great.
1. Well it can vary, q2 has sensitivity built in, so I could make it more or less sensitive from within the game. I did scale down the value to make more sense. I needed relative movement so instead of a value of 100, i would divide by 10 giving me a movement of 10. It wasnt moving enough in game, so I just bumped up the sensivity in quake2 and it was better.
2. I didnt want to have to do this, but if i didnt the motion wouldnt stop. I set the cutoff at 5 (i think this is before the downscaling, so its really not large at all). This could be made setable by cvar/command line var.

I think I will be happy with the Pandora controls for 3D Shooters. :) I always wanted to play such games with a combo of D-Pad (left) and A-Pad (right) so there is some kind of WASD + Mouse feeling, the L+R Triggers are for Shooting and maybe jumping. I think weapon Switch is good for the numbers but also for ABXY or the second A-Pad... ^_^

Ok, NOW I want my Pandora very badly! :D

P.S.: now we need some reports, how good the (DaveC approved) D-Pad really is, maybe some 2D fighting Games here and there or Mario and Sonic or Metroid...everything with critical movements and milisecond-timing for the controls. Something, where my old GP2X F100 failed completely.

Pickle, nelated thanks for this - I love the Quake games and having them use the actual nubs for movement sounds great :D

Would like to see a racegame on the pandora, with these controls... :)

Looks great. I think the noob control will be very helpful for quake nubs like me ;)

Maybe I've missed something, but is there a reason not to play Quake with sound?

Maybe I've missed something, but is there a reason not to play Quake with sound?

im also wondering that. not that the sound matters, but the music of quake 2...it rocks :D

Looks great. I think the noob control will be very helpful for quake nubs like me ;"]

im also wondering that. not that the sound matters, but the music of quake 2...it rocks :D [/quote]if guys really insist on knowing. I turned the the sound down so I didnt wake up my napping kid ;-)
It works fine....

Looks great. I think the noob control will be very helpful for quake nubs like me ;"]
im also wondering that. not that the sound matters, but the music of quake 2...it rocks :D [/quote]if guys really insist on knowing. I turned the the sound down so I didnt wake up my napping kid ;-)
It works fine....

ah that makes sense. because if you put that music on, you want to make it louder every second :)

For some reason, I'm always surprised when people on the boards mention their children - for some reason I always felt that Pickle was some teenage/early 20s computer whiz who ported all these programs in his parents' basement. Maybe I only feel that way because I'm 18 and a CS concentrator in college...

For some reason, I'm always surprised when people on the boards mention their children - for some reason I always felt that Pickle was some teenage/early 20s computer whiz who ported all these programs in his parents' basement. Maybe I only feel that way because I'm 18 and a CS concentrator in college...
i sometimes have that feeling as well.
But thats mainly because i dont see my parents playing games and programming old games and apps to other devices the whole day.

its just that i cant imagine a guy over 30 years old playing games.
(not saying that you are 30 years +)

Pickle got his own hobby's, just like anyone else.
And i like his hobby's^^.

Back