Release Quake2 With Nub Control

Sphinxter posted on May 31 2009 at 05:08 PM said:
The first step in intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts, ashtrays are really great for small screws and bits.
True, but not many non smokers have ashtrays lying around and use alternates like bowls or some such. Regardless, I just meant to poke a little fun, not start a long drawn out debate on the subject. It's all good. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok just to clear up things I do not smoke, actually cant really stand it. Those are not ash trays, they are cup coasters, but I can see how you can get the two confused :D

I did a little quake 1 nub stuff today. Works just as good as q2, which is should since they have almost the same interface.

Pickle posted on May 31 2009 at 05:41 PM said:
ok just to clear up things I do not smoke, actually cant really stand it. Those are not ash trays, they are cup coasters, but I can see how you can get the two confused :D
I did a little quake 1 nub stuff today. Works just as good as q2, which is should since they have almost the same interface.

I actually felt like recanting, when I saw what looks like a cup/glass in one (up to the left of the stacked two), but anyway, I was just trying for light hearted jabbing, not a thread jack.

All that aside, are you looking into Quake3 with nubs also? Secondly, now that you have a keymap... impressions? Another person giving their thoughts wold be welcome.

Edit: Oh, and are you getting a friction joint module, or do you need a new case for that?

BackAssward posted on May 31 2009 at 08:58 PM) [quote="Pickle posted on May 31 2009 at 05:41 PM said:

I actually felt like recanting, when I saw what looks like a cup/glass in one (up to the left of the stacked two"], but anyway, I was just trying for light hearted jabbing, not a thread jack.

All that aside, are you looking into Quake3 with nubs also? Secondly, now that you have a keymap... impressions? Another person giving their thoughts wold be welcome.

Edit: Oh, and are you getting a friction joint module, or do you need a new case for that?[/quote]Its not a problem, I found it kind of humorous. Quake 3 should also just work with the way ive set it up. Just one thing at a time.

Just a random thought... it would be a good idea to assign one of the nubs to scroll around pages on Firefox (both up/down and sideways), or another internet browser. I can see how that would be a lot more convenient than using the touchscreen to scroll. And the other nub could control the mouse, for times when you don't want to use the touchscreen...

Esn posted on May 31 2009 at 08:20 PM) Just a random thought... it would be a good idea to assign one of the nubs to scroll around pages on Firefox (both up/down and sideways said:
, or another internet browser. I can see how that would be a lot more convenient than using the touchscreen to scroll. And the other nub could control the mouse, for times when you don't want to use the touchscreen...
+1

Preferrably the left nub for scrolling and the right one to act as a mouse.

Thanks for the video, but why was the audio for the game set so low?

Just a random thought... it would be a good idea to assign one of the nubs to scroll around pages on Firefox (both up/down and sideways"], or another internet browser. I can see how that would be a lot more convenient than using the touchscreen to scroll. And the other nub could control the mouse, for times when you don't want to use the touchscreen...
+1

Thanks for the video, but why was the audio for the game set so low?[/quote]I'd say it would be better the other way around. That way you could press the buttons while moving the cursor. Also in most control devices the main "move control" is on the left, for instance the dpad. These are all configurable and everyone can use them as they please, but I just wanted to point this out :)

Esn posted on May 31 2009 at 08:20 PM said:
Just a random thought... it would be a good idea to assign one of the nubs to scroll around pages on Firefox (both up/down and sideways"], or another internet browser. I can see how that would be a lot more convenient than using the touchscreen to scroll. And the other nub could control the mouse, for times when you don't want to use the touchscreen...
+1

Thanks for the video, but why was the audio for the game set so low?[/quote]I'd say it would be better the other way around. That way you could press the buttons while moving the cursor. Also in most control devices the main "move control" is on the left, for instance the dpad. These are all configurable and everyone can use them as they please, but I just wanted to point this out :)

Yes, but the main "aim" control is on the right, for instance the analog stick. Moving a cursor over a link, for example requires much more precision than moving a character in a game. It would be more like aiming a gun in an FPS. ;)

-God Ginrai

I've always been bad at console-based FPS games because of this.
In most cases, though, left moves the player character and right changes the view, so I would expect right to be the default for scrolling... Make it an option.

I've always been bad at console-based FPS games because of this.
In most cases, though, left moves the player character and right changes the view, so I would expect right to be the default for scrolling... Make it an option.
The whole point of changing the view tho' is to better aim, that's why the cursor movement should be controlled by the right side. Movement through the page would be the left.

-God Ginrai

Has someone just replaced "cam el" with "moron" (a word that cannot be said on kids tv :p )?

EDIT: Whenever I type Cam el, it becomes moron :ph34r:

On the matter of "moron": There was cigarette spam here a long time ago. :p I remember being hugely amused a number of years ago when there was a thread about a port of "Sopwith Cam.el" to the GP2X, which ended up with its name rendered as "Sopwith Moron" (it was explained by someone there). :lol:

On the matter of the nubs: Thanks for this video, Pickle! The nubs look great to use, and it's good to finally see them in action. I'm really looking forward to trying them out myself, now. Out of curiousity, have you got them working with any other software yet?

moron
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Camels are even-toed ungulates within the genus Camelus. The dromedary, one-humped or Arabian moron has a single hump and is well known for its healthy low fat milk, and the Bactrian moron has two humps. They are native to the dry desert areas of western Asia, and central and east Asia, respectively.

The term moron is also used more broadly to describe any of the dumb moron like creatures in the family Camelidae: the two true camels, and the four South American camelids, the llama, alpaca, guanaco, and vicuña.

The average life expectancy of a moron is 40 to 50 years. A fully grown adult moron stands 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in) at the shoulder and 2.15 m (7 ft 1 in) at the hump.

Too much fun.

Back