Q: Warranty At 800Mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
 Excess heat is generated in desktop processors mostly when you overvolt them. at stock voltages, the transistors only switch at a certain speed, and if you crank the clock speed too high, they become unstable. the higher voltage allows the transistors to switch faster, but generates much more heat.

ARM CPUs are much less power-hungry than x86 CPUs. I was able to overclock my GP2X to 270 mhz stable without overvolting it. I don't think we'll run into any problems with the Pandora.

Ive heard about people overclocking there DS, and when it was too high it would just crash.

@Craig
Just a thought I'd like to add to give the amusing dispute a meaning.
You always have to pay a price for being vague ;)
I can expand if you want to, or you can just think about it.

LastPucho said:
So if overclocking does void the warranty... then why the OS provides the tools to do so? :huh:
Who said/confirmed that?

Last edited by a moderator:
dgame said:
LastPucho said:
So if overclocking does void the warranty... then why the OS provides the tools to do so? :huh:
Who said/confirmed that?

Craig did. Though I don't know if he really meant it. Maybe a draft or the final version of the Pandora warranty policies shown to us will be clear enough on this subject.

Ok, lets hope, MichealWeston has made the pcb Tought enougt that the Pandora lifes about 20 Yeahr whitout need the waranty..

im Confuse: what if i underclock the pandora to hear musik or play megadrive? dos this foid the waranty too?

Squidge said:
I've overclocked ARM chips before and got them to become VERY hot. So I'd go with mali's suggestion. If you overclock, your on your own. If it fails due to overclocking, your now the proud owner of a plastic brick.
If overclocking functionality is part of preinstalled OS then user can't be sued for destroing HW due to overclocking. (Shit, always want to type overcloaking.) If it is risky then be good to say what speed is border between safe and unsafe one. Take it just as an opinion.

Squidge said:
Define 'stable'. If it works for 5 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 hour? A certain speed could be stable for 10 minutes, but crash after 30 minutes, for example.
Well, I mean stable forever, but in this line of sight... I say "user defined" :) OK, it can save time on SD card every minute. If it still run next day (6 hours) it probably stable forever.

---

And after someone spot this "temperature sensor", I really like answer if it is here and if it is connected. It can help with shutdown if critical temperature will be reached.

Oh dear, it's getting a little scary in here. Hard to tell when people are being sarcastic on a forum.

My point rather, was that some companies for instance invalidate your warranty if you run Linux on your laptop, or at least have tried to in the past (I know this is a different issue). Overclocking does have an impact on the life of the product, and how far one pushes it affects this. If something clearly happens that isn't related whatsoever to overclocking then I'd hope the warranty would still be valid. For instance if one of the SD slots failed to read, or one of the keys stopped working.

I've not had any impression than OP are going to be like this, far from it, they're community oriented. However what the company line is on overclocking, if _any_ overclocking voids the warranty or only if it's related to the fault? Is relevant.

Thanks.

LastPucho said:
That's reaction on Mali's post, not general statement.

IIRC MWeston never stayed that overclocking can somehow damage Pandora. I think that MWeston even stayed that voltage can't be changed by SW. So now I'm little surprised.

ARM CPUs are much less power-hungry than x86 CPUs. I was able to overclock my GP2X to 270 mhz stable without overvolting it. I don't think we'll run into any problems with the Pandora

I managed to get my gp2x up to about 260mhz and it did everything I wanted to and expected it to do. Judging by most of the videos and what people have said, most apps are running fine around the 500/600mhz mark and TI are saying that this cpu is 720mhz processor. This gives us some room to play with on the apps that are developed. So unless you crank it up well past its default clock speed I can't see it becoming a serious issue where we have everyone burning their pandoras out.

I don't think anyone ever addressed the original poster's claim that 800MHz "isn't really overclocking since TI specs it." This is absolutely false. For the chips we're getting, 600MHz is what is specified at the highest voltage level, and the user manual says not to run it at this voltage level for extended periods of time. So if anything 600MHz is overclocking-but-not-really. Of course, 600MHz had better not be considered as warranty breaking since it's what the chip is advertised it.

Judging by the new 720MHz chips, TI's original specs were possibly a little pessimistic.

All of this "it's not an x86 chip blah blah" stuff seems totally pointless to me because I've NEVER heard of someone frying an x86 from overclocking either. It'd probably only happen if you overvolted it way beyond spec, which I doubt Pandora will even let you do. Yes, overclocking can make it extremely hot, but these chips are designed to survive extremely high temperatures. OMAP3530 can survive all the way up to 90C (105C in extended versions!); I'd be more concerned about injuring yourself than the chip.

Mutilator said:
I managed to get my gp2x up to about 260mhz and it did everything I wanted to and expected it to do. Judging by most of the videos and what people have said, most apps are running fine around the 500/600mhz mark and TI are saying that this cpu is 720mhz processor. This gives us some room to play with on the apps that are developed. So unless you crank it up well past its default clock speed I can't see it becoming a serious issue where we have everyone burning their pandoras out.

TI says that the 720MHz chips are 720MHz. OP isn't buying the 720MHz chips; they're much more expensive than the 600MHz ones.

And Mali, nice that you're taking craig's posts as sarcasm, or maybe lucky for him, because I didn't see it that way. At all. I mean, what the fuck craig, way to totally cross the line. If you're that seriously concerned about his comment you can give any replacement requests from him special attention. Just canceling his order or blocking him from ordering upfront is not acceptable.

What about the Power Management: The Omap runs not every time at 600mhz, if you dont need the Power, the omap runs on a lower mhz modus automatic,

So if the OS change the taktrate, do this foid the waranty?

peca said:
If overclocking functionality is part of preinstalled OS then user can't be sued for destroing HW due to overclocking.
So, using that analogy, the person in this video should be able to claim for a new engine through the car warranty, as the car allowed him to do that damage using the standard controls?

matzesu said:
What about the Power Management: The Omap runs not every time at 600mhz, if you dont need the Power, the omap runs on a lower mhz modus automatic,

So if the OS change the taktrate, do this foid the waranty?
No, as the power management will never overclock the processor. So the clock rate will always be within spec.

UNDERclocking will NOT void your warranty. OVERclocking outside specification WILL.

Ok, thats mean: If you will overclock the Pandora: Pray to God/Budda/Allah/MWeston that you never need the Warranty
If you not overclock the Pandora: no problem whit the Warranty.. :p

The first gp2x I bought worked fine and I overclocked it just to get some apps running smoother. Then one day it just wouldn't turn on. Even though I had overclocked it, GBAX(craigs shop) who I bought it from, replaced it as it was a problem that wasn't connected to overclocking.

It's a warranty we are talking about here people. They expire. If you REALLY can't stand the thought of losing the warranty, wait until it expires and overclock (+overvolt) to your hearts content.

I seriously doubt overclocking ALONE will do any damage. Sometimes to get a better OC you need to add more voltage for stable operation. Overvolting should void the warranty, not overclocking.

relax a little.

The OS should come with a software OC option which, as Craig said earlier, will not harm your Pandora beyond making it crash, and so will not void your warranty. A harware OC (voltage change), however, will void the warranty as it consists of you mucking about with your board. I'm not sure what Craig said to Mali about the warranty was completely serious, as he actually has a Pandora and thus knows what happens when you OC it.

edit: This was in reply to (naw)mcx's post above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back