Q: Warranty At 800Mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mali said:
@MDave
Actually, this is very wrong. I don't know how much knowledge people have about overclocking ARM chips. I killed an Asus Mypal A600 by overclocking and my Dell x50v failed because of heat. I proved this by experimentation and added a heatspreader to get 702MHz stable.

edit:
In layman's terms: ARM CPUs behave exactly like x86 CPUs when overclocked. Overclocking above the limit on a too low voltage will cause errors and overclocking at higher voltage above the limit will cause a freeze due to overheating.

All right then, your knowledge in this area has convinced me, overclocking the Pandora will make the ARM CPU overheat thus it will void your warranty.

Happy now?

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
All right then, your knowledge in this area has convinced me, overclocking the Pandora will make the ARM CPU overheat thus it will void your warranty.

Happy now?
Yes, Im happy now, thanks :)

Craig, is there any testing utility that can prove that Pandora goes well on given frequency? I mean it for overclocking tests: repeat set CPU speed, test if stable, until CPU fail. So everybody can easily test top speed of his/her Pandora.

The OS allows you to both adjust the speed of the processor, and adjust the voltage of the processor. As we all know, the second can drastically reduce the lifespan of the processor, and since there's a RAM+Flash chip sitting on top of the OMAP, there's less room for heat to dissipate.

I've overclocked ARM chips before and got them to become VERY hot. So I'd go with mali's suggestion. If you overclock, your on your own. If it fails due to overclocking, your now the proud owner of a plastic brick.

peca said:
Craig, is there any testing utility that can prove that Pandora goes well on given frequency? I mean it for overclocking tests: repeat set CPU speed, test if stable, until CPU fail. So everybody can easily test top speed of his/her Pandora.
Define 'stable'. If it works for 5 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 hour? A certain speed could be stable for 10 minutes, but crash after 30 minutes, for example.

Okay so if we do any overclocking in software, without changing the voltages this will no matter what, even if it isn't the cause of any problems, void our warranty?

Squidge said:
The OS allows you to both adjust the speed of the processor, and adjust the voltage of the processor. As we all know, the second can drastically reduce the lifespan of the processor, and since there's a RAM+Flash chip sitting on top of the OMAP, there's less room for heat to dissipate.

I've overclocked ARM chips before and got them to become VERY hot. So I'd go with mali's suggestion. If you overclock, your on your own. If it fails due to overclocking, your now the proud owner of a plastic brick.

peca said:
Define 'stable'. If it works for 5 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 hour? A certain speed could be stable for 10 minutes, but crash after 30 minutes, for example.

Ahh, does adjusting the speed without adjusting the voltage make it hot? This is what I presume Craig and Mutilator was talking about.

I'm still not even sure if by default they're 600 or 720MHz. OP site says 600+, TI says 720MHz for the OAMP3530. ARM says 600MHz to 1GHz for the A8.

Confusion.

But could 800 be reached without a voltage increase?

Dead1nside said:
Okay so if we do any overclocking in software, without changing the voltages this will no matter what, even if it isn't the cause of any problems, void our warranty?
Nobody will be able to tell if you overclocked it or not, thus it's a non-issue ;)

_If_ it fails, you can either tell them you overclocked or you don't. It depends on you altruism coefficient. I got a replacement motherboard from Asus for my A600, because I didn't tell them.
Tokiopop said:
I'm still not even sure if by default they're 600 or 720MHz. OP site says 600+, TI says 720MHz for the OAMP3530. ARM says 600MHz to 1GHz for the A8.

Confusion.
It's 600MHz with the unofficial potential to be overclocked.
But could 800 be reached without a voltage increase?
It depends.

mali said:
Dead1nside said:
Nobody will be able to tell if you overclocked it or not, thus it's a non-issue ;)

_If_ it fails, you can either tell them you overclocked or you don't. It depends on you altruism coefficient. I got a replacement motherboard from Asus for my A600, because I didn't tell them.

So you're a dishonest little shit too?

I want your order number. You are banned from having a Pandora from us.

That's right, your order is canceled.

craigix said:
mali said:
Dead1nside said:

I uhh... don't think he's a first batcher

Just a thought.

If the Memory sits on the CPU and the Memory has a temperature sensor then would this not guard against over heating?

Me! I'm blissfully happy. Ignorance has that affect.

Tokiopop said:
craigix said:
mali said:
Dead1nside said:

I uhh... don't think he's a first batcher

That's great news, and even better - he never will be!

craigix said:
mali said:
Dead1nside said:

sarcastic...?

sorry i fail in seeing this.

craigix said:

:lol: Nice one, I love you for your humour :)

may88 said:
Just a thought.

If the Memory sits on the CPU and the Memory has a temperature sensor then would this not guard against over heating?

Real facts won't get in the way of this thread!

Mithrildor said:
This question is almost the same as:

If I buy a pie piss on it, will I get a new one because it is dirty?
No it isn't, not even close. In your pie analogy, you are intentionally dirtying your pie and then asking for a refund for what you've done to it. You're saying that overclocking is equivalent to pissing on your pie when it certainly isn't. Unless you like piss in your pie, doing so instantly ruins it. Overclocking adds to the experience, with only the potential to ruin it.
A better analogy would be if you bought a pie, brought it home, added whipped cream to the top, and then found out the fruit in the pie was rotten. Should you be able to get a new one, or is whipped cream an unsupported mod and you shouldn't be allowed to get a new pie to replace the bad one? Obviously if the pie is bad because of the whipped cream then you shouldn't get one, and if it can possibly be linked to the whipped cream it becomes a judgment call, but what if the two were unrelated?
Myself, I wouldn't expect OP to honor a warranty if you've done anything outside spec with your Pandora, even if it can be proven unrelated to each other, simply because I have yet to find any other company that would: do something out of spec, warranty void, end of story. There was a time I thought otherwise, but I thought about it long and hard and eventually changed my mind.

may88 said:
Just a thought.

This could work. I don't know if that pin for the sensor is used, though. Only MWeston could answer this question.

borgqueenx said:
I dunno if craig was being sarcastic or not...
You never know for sure, but I tend to see things positively :)

craigix said:

craigix said:
That's great news, and even better - he never will be!
craigix said:
Real facts won't get in the way of this thread!
Uh-oh! :unsure: Craig's pissed*

*pissed(n):
1:Drunk - Either it's Sunday afternoon and he's been enjoying some wine -- Yay!!!
2:Angry - Or he's heard from the Chinese and it's not good news. -- Boo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back