Pyra phone? How about a Headset Stylus?

But with a speaker on  the back of the lid, and the microphone on the side, we could hold and use the closed Pyra like everyone already holds cell phones.
It doesn't matter how you hold the Taco it still looks funny.
 I don't think holding a closed Pandora to your ear looks particularly funny. Why would it be funny? Because it's thicker than a typical smartphone?
Closed Pyra is not that silly I think.

I find ear pacifiers more silly than holding a cell phone.  I don't think that having the microphone on the side of either the top or bottom half rather than in the middle would impact normal case open use at all, but I haven't put much thought into a third speaker on the back of the lid, that could be tacky.

Putting the third speaker in the bottom of the base would also work and is probably easier to do.

Putting the third speaker in the bottom of the base would also work and is probably easier to do.
The bottom-bottom?  I've been considering it unavailable to to the battery and stuff, but if there's room then the bottom would be a great unobtrusive place to stick another speaker vent, yeah.  Then while we're phoning we won't be pressing our non existent E-Ink screens to our ears.  This only requires a low volume speaker and a thoughtful placement of the one microphone, I wonder how EvilDragon would feel about it.

Glad I'm not the only one that having the headset built-in on the bottom or top wouldn't be so bad.

I also like the idea of Pyra phone.

The small speaker dedicated to be used close to ones ear is called earpiece (at least it is called so in the place where I work - and I'm writing firmware for two-way radios).

No matter where the earpiece would be, on the bottom or on the lid, I'm wondering how to answer the phone when someone is calling (maybe shoulder buttons if I understand the term right)?

And how would I know who is calling?

^Open the Lid I suppose, also there is a big hurdle in getting any phone software working in Native Linux.

I use an LG Tone with my Note II and it is the best experience I have had with a headset of any kind. It is great with a bulky device like the Note II (or the Pyra) because you don't have to take the device out of a pocket at all to receive calls or start and stop audio playback. The only drawback is that they buds are in-ear, so they muffle the sound around you, unlike traditional headphones that hang in your ear lobe. It makes it impossible to carry on a conversation with both buds in, so I usually leave the left side in the magnetic holder on the frame so I have one ear for real world sound and one for audio. This isn't great for music, but I mostly listen to podcasts, and rarely music, anyway.

I went ahead and bought one of the non-stylus versions of this Samsung pen-style bluetooth headset.  It works pretty well.  It travels nicely clipped into a shirt pocket.  Works more or less hands free clipped to a shirt collar.  Doesn't have the 'ich factor' of an in-ear device - can hand the device like a phone receiver to someone and let them talk on it.

It works as a stylus on the Pandora just by using the plastic edge on the screen.  It should make a nice companion device for a Pyra.  Too pricey to bundle in though.

I've noticed that phones in the US are all bundled and sold with a (usually junk) 'hands free' wired headphone/mic set.  Is there a law/rule that requires all mobiles to be sold with 'hands free' capabilities?

These pen-bluetooth things are a bit pricey to include in all the consoles, but I could see it becoming a part of my traveling kit with a Pyra and maybe ditching the conventional mobile phone.

I've noticed that phones in the US are all bundled and sold with a (usually junk) 'hands free' wired headphone/mic set.  Is there a law/rule that requires all mobiles to be sold with 'hands free' capabilities?
There is no such law. Where are you seeing all of these bundled products?

-God Ginrai

-God Ginrai
The last 6 phones I've bought have all come bundled with either a junk earbuds stereo/mic or in one case with a bluetooth earwig.

It struck me as odd that Motorola, Blackberry and Samsung (several times) have all included a 'hands free' option in their stuff.

So, I started to wonder, 'Why include them at all?'  These things are cheap - I think most people chuck them with the box and instructions they came with.  It struck me that the only reason for multiple phone manufacturers to include a set with every phone is if they were somehow required to.

-God Ginrai
 The last 6 phones I've bought have all come bundled with either a junk earbuds stereo/mic or in one case with a bluetooth earwig.

It struck me as odd that Motorola, Blackberry and Samsung (several times) have all included a 'hands free' option in their stuff.

So, I started to wonder, 'Why include them at all?'  These things are cheap - I think most people chuck them with the box and instructions they came with.  It struck me that the only reason for multiple phone manufacturers to include a set with every phone is if they were somehow required to.
Not one phone I have bought has ever come bundled with one. However, the reps at the Verizon Store have tried to convince me to bundle one with the phone for a reduced price on the headset. But that's because they want to sell accessories.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Back