Pyra debian with systemd?

until some update broke my system.
Had the same for 2 Debian boxes when a new X was introduced (it was the upgrade from Debian 7 to 8). You see, they told me that because I use different repositories I was "unsupported". So I did try the suggestions to upgrade to unstable (which I had experience being in because at the time I bought my system, I required that to get network working, but every apt-get update is a surprise, unless you read the logs carefully before saying "Y"...). So after not getting gdm/kdm working, and bypassing that with other window managers, I finally reinstalled because I could not get gnome nor kde to work (plus I had zapped so many software, I could not do work anymore; but briefly my desktop looked like the Padora :) ). Reinstalled with the Debian 8 CD... and guess what? They still did not adjust the sizes of the FS, so they are all wrong. So I ended up (tried it twice, so it IS a Debian bug) with a / of 315MB (196M available). So each time I get a kernel upgrade... I have to move the /lib/modules/ to my home, symlink them, upgrade, then put it back, because they put the temporal next to it, and having more than 2 does not fit...
So how do I have 196MB free on / ? that is right.. I permanently moved the system to the /home FS and keep it together with ducktape (because if I have a FS corruption on home, I can not boot).
107M /home/system/lib/modules/3.2.0-4-amd64
163M /home/system/lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64

But wait.. /root is also on / so what happens when I start graphically as root? that's right... .kde .firefox and so on... before you know it /root is bloated.
Why am I not reinstalling my system ANOTHER time? Because LUKS takes almost 4 days to format my 2TB hdd.
[doublepost=1464526169,1464525081][/doublepost]
Why do you carry a Linux disc around?
Wait... YOU don't carry a Linux disk around at all times? (Rescatux, a life Knoppix or OpenELEC or BERT?) Then what do you carry? Swiss knife? Screwdriver set? Portable Fire (lighter)? Medikit (band-aid)? Chewing gum (for when you forgot to brush your teeth)? safety needle? laserpointer? An elastic? a napkin? not even a Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit?

Wait... YOU don't carry a Linux disk around at all times? (Rescatux, a life Knoppix or OpenELEC or BERT?) Then what do you carry? Swiss knife? Screwdriver set? Portable Fire (lighter)? Medikit (band-aid)? Chewing gum (for when you forgot to brush your teeth)? safety needle? laserpointer? An elastic? a napkin? not even a Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit?
Only an Opinel... *shame*

Only an Opinel... *shame*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinel_knife wow... nice! no need for shame though: from cutting cheese to making a spear. (or a sculpture, if you are Picasso... see the wiki article). A handy tool.
I lost all my knifes during airflight (forgot to leave them home... really hurts. never forked over the money for a new one, and the ones I got are well... lower quality... ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinel_knife wow... nice! no need for shame though: from cutting cheese to making a spear. (or a sculpture, if you are Picasso... see the wiki article). A handy tool.
I lost all my knifes during airflight (forgot to leave them home... really hurts. never forked over the money for a new one, and the ones I got are well... lower quality... ).
Opinels are dirt cheap especcially for the quality you get, I plan on getting an even smaller one (I got #8) that is allowed to carry around in even more strict countries.
My boss loves survival tours, hiking and tramping and even he uses those since we got to know them while working on a festival in France every year.
Look at those prices: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Opinel-Messe...hash=item3f293fa884:m:m2RRWfuSfeIHtOo1x5K4zfA

Dit someone said opinel??
579527f47b2ff5d28d3059f56d39388e.jpg

I have considered picking up an Opinel with a carbon steel blade (not sure if they all are), but I still haven't done it.

I have 4 that I switch between for occupying my pocket on a daily basis, depending on where I am going our what I expect to do. For normal days I usually go with a Buck 110 since they are pretty good for many things, and they seem not to scare people as much.

I have a Himderer CLS (I eventually sanded off the blade coating when it started to get all scraped up) that is a little less multipurpose in the way the Buck is, but it has a window punch and strap cutter (and oxygen tank wrench, but I wouldn't have much use for that even in an emergency situation). I removed the pocket clip and added a lanyard with a clip on it to hold it onto my belt when it is in my pocket or case, and around my wrist when using it in some places.

I have a medium sized Victorinox (forgot which model) with a decent selection of tools that I carry if I might need them , and a tiny one on my keys that goes with me whenever I leave the house. Those also don't seem to be scary, and I have a history with this brand since childhood.

Last is a CRKT M16-13ZM that is a replacement for an earlier one that I had and let someone use that they lost. The old version (without an auto lock) and the new one are both good, imo, and I like the size. I avoid carrying it when people might think it is scary, although it is tame for a tactical knife.

I have other non-pocket knives for specific purposes, or to beat up for rough tasks.

Marttiini or nothing (not literally). Though finns are forbidden to carry sharp knives around with no specific need... for historical reasons. :p

PS: This thread is now about knives.

Amuletti_730px.jpg

Last edited:
PS: This thread is now about knives.
Yep.

Knife laws are weird here. This is one of several places I have lived where fixed blade knives are only allowed to be carried for certain tasks, and only while doing those things. Hunting and fishing are common exceptions. Even interpreting the laws is difficult, and there is a good chance that things will be fine even if you are found with an illegal knife.

Enter tiny fixed blade knives. My family has a couple RSK (Ritter Survival Knife) Mk5s. The Mk5 is a knife designed as a last resort, or to build an Altoids tin kit around (comes with the tin), and has an overall length shorter than many pocket knife blades. One was pocket carried and one was carried in a purse. Neither are currently carried to avoid ending up on the wrong side of the law. One might be in a car, I don't remember. I really love these little knives, and wouldn't mind using it as a pocket knife due to how little it is and how much more useful I find it compared to tiny folding knives (maybe I just need to spend more on small folders).

...because the choice between operating systems has so much to do with avoiding to create animal sorrow.
Oh I forgot, it's all about being "different", that's why vegans hate it when other people have done it before them already.

Ha! Found the vegan!

D.

Ha! Found the vegan!
But not the hipster, I'd have no problem with it if this were mainstream. ;)
I've seen one vegan that was pissed off about the fact, that too many people went this way now (officially because of the "wrong" reasons in her opinion), but it was a single case by now.

What I regularly see are people throwing in words like "vegans" as an artificial enemy concept much like any other (jews, niggers, mussulmen, faggots, autists etc...) out of nowhere and without any connection to the topic,
I've just found one of those yet again (although that's hardly seldom).
How about less trolling and hate?

Why did this topic go from systemd to hipsters to vegans?

Last edited:
ZXdunny isn't hating, just goofing off in an offensive way. but most of the stuff coming out of his/her mouth is garbage or toilet talk, as shown by the avatar... (never thought i'd be defending ZXdunny...) usually best to ignore, though.

@Klumpen: not trying to be a hater, but i've never understood this about vegans. what do you see as the difference between some predator (say a wolf) eating some other animal (in the wild) versus humans eating animals? do you have stricter standards for humans than other animals?

I know it wasn't directed at me, but I will share the difference from my perspective. With wild animals, they live free, aren't forced to suffer through constant abuse, and much of the animal is consumed quickly. Farms, especially factory farms, eliminate the value of fight or flight. Also, all that industrial scale death results in less value placed on the animal's life, so much is thrown out, and there are still many starving humans. This is just the focus on the animals (including humans) directly involved in this. There are other issues, such as pollution (but I don't think vegan stuff is that much better when it comes to things like this, and animals still suffer and die with the production and transport of vegan products...I guess the value is in attempted harm reduction).

I eat animals and animal products, and as much as I can afford I try to ensure they were treated humanely. I also limit the quantity of animals I eat.

Edit: I also think humans should be returned to their natural place in the food chain.

Last edited:
Noooooo.... our knife topic thread!

versus humans eating animals?
Choice... humans have a choice...
[doublepost=1464635448,1464635398][/doublepost]
Edit: I also think humans should be returned to their natural place in the food chain.
But where are we going to get dinosaurs from?

And when there were giants in the land... as they ate that much, they were always hungry... and humans were edible...

They are still around. They are called "birds". Humans and true dinosaurs obviously never coexisted, however Jurassic Park offers some good ideas.
[doublepost=1464640251,1464635693][/doublepost]
And when there were giants in the land... as they ate that much, they were always hungry... and humans were edible...
AttackOnTitan-Part1-Titan.jpg

What I regularly see are people throwing in words like "vegans" as an artificial enemy concept much like any other (jews, niggers, mussulmen, faggots, autists etc...) out of nowhere and without any connection to the topic,

Yeah, you're not really getting it, are you?

Jewish? That's you by birth. Nigger? That's also you by accident of birth. Faggot? Assuming you mean gay folks and not the small meatballs that are soooo delicious, then again - an accident of birth. Autistic? Ditto... you can see where I'm going here. All those terms, disgusting and pejorative as they are, are what despicable people use to label the subjects of their hatred - and each and every one has literally zero chance of changing what they are, which is why it's so hateful.

Vegans are making a choice, and then being dicks about it. You're not born a vegan, and they're fair game.

I've just found one of those yet again (although that's hardly seldom).
How about less trolling and hate?

Awww, Klumpy!

I'm not hating or trolling (though your response to my original reply could be taken as that, but well... you did bite!) at all. It was a pretty logical response to extend the personality and morality of someone who likes to make sure that people know they use an obscure distro, in the same manner that Vegans all like to make sure that people know they're slowly killing themselves via their diet at every opportunity, and for pretty much the same reason.

Well... it's systemd, innit?[1]. How else is it supposed to go? This is Linux, if there isn't some sort of holy war going on, nobody would be motivated to make anything new.

D.

[1] DYSWIDT?

Back