Pyra debian with systemd?

AFAIK you may carray pepper spray for the purpose of defending yourself against animal attack. And if you happen to carry it around it should be ok to use it against humans if those humans happen to be attacking you. Am I mistaken? After all we are animals, too. Or are you a mushroom? :)

I don't know about where you guys live, but in the UK we have a self-defence law.

It states that you may use anything to defend yourself that you have nearby yourself, as long as it was not procured for the purposes of self-defence (or can be proven not to be). For example, if a burglar breaks in and you beat the shit out of him with a baseball bat, you're covered so long as it was stored with other baseball paraphernalia - it was obviously bought for the purpose of playing the game, and therefore was not premeditated.

Ditto for braining some dude with a poker from your real wood/coal fireplace when he's robbing the christmas presents from under the tree.

A farmer who goes to his properly locked gun storage and retrieves his properly licensed shotgun is at liberty to shoot at a tresspasser in his home if he believes his life is threatened (or that of his family), but one who waits at the top of the stairs with loaded shotgun for a burglar to enter will be prosecuted for at least attempted murder. Farmers are allowed to own weapons for the purposes of pest control, after all.

Purposely lying in wait with a weapon with the intent to batter someone into submission (or render them dead because they use a different init system to yours) in order to tell them you run an obscure distro, or simply to make sure they know you're vegan, is not legal.

@ZXDunny I think, here in Germany it's more about restraining yourself from overachieving, when defending yourself. Removing someones hands to prevent him/her from cutting your hair, might be effective, but considered inappropriate by the judge. So don't use a power saw in such a situation.

I don't think the cutting of hair is an offence is many circumstances, so the cutting off of the hands of the hairdresser would be straightforward GBH. ZXDunny may well be right about UK law, but as far as I can tell all that's written in the statute books is that you may use reasonable force to prevent what you believe to be a crime from being committed. The definition of 'reasonable force' and 'believe' are down to the jury, but ZX Dunny may well be stating a reasonable summary of what's been ruled on thus far, but at the end of the day it depends on the judge and your jury whether you'll get off.

Some of those self defense laws seem a bit silly, and make me wonder more about the martial arts example. I suppose I can understand not wanting people to kill someone for robbing them, however if you tie the hands of the defenders it could lead to an increase in crime of this sort. If there is the risk of death when trying to rob/assault/rape/murder someone then it might make those that would consider such things reconsider. Yes, I know many people use this as an argument for allowing defensive use of firearms. I don't personally feel I have any need for such things at present, however I don't think it is a bad idea (as long as everyone is tried fairly in court). Regardless of the laws, I will defend myself and those around me against threats of death or physical injury, and if that results in someone's death, oh well. If I end up in prison, oh well. There is a problem with the law if the defender is permitted to be harmed, but not the attacker (unless by the police). I don't mean just by the word of the law, but how it plays out in court.

Anyway, I don't look at my knives primarily as weapons. I usually use them for cutting things other than human flesh, and when I do cut a human it is always my own, usually my hands, and due to being careless or not paying attention. My fingers are all scarred up (many are from burns and such, too). If I was determined to kill someone I wouldn't need a knife or firearm to do it, unless they were trying to kill me first, then it might be nice to be armed.

I don't think systemd is something worth having a weapon for. Working in an area where computers have systemd seems like a good place to have a tool. Usually this is more than just a knife, and since I don't like the ones with pliers, I go with a Swiss army knife. I think I have used all of the knives I currently rotate between for making network cables. As weird as it may sound, I do sometimes use my pocket knives for cutting up food, and the SAK kinda sucks for that.

Bah, I am getting away from systemd again. (Thanks for ruining our interesting conversation, Wally.) I can almost understand the death threats related to systemd, however it seems quite a bit like overkill to me. It isn't exactly like they are coming into your house and taking all your food. Btw, if you force your way into my house, and it isn't to help me, don't expect to make it out without at least some injuries (also, dogs).

everything i know about UK law i learned in Broadchurch. (the show.)

what's with the wigs?

@levi Cutting someones hair without permission is an offense and falls in the category bodily harm. And I wasn't talking about the hairdresser.

@rygD You're not forbidden to harm your attacker, if necessary.

Having been a medical professional for many years, I often came into contact with cases of domestic abuse and violence - one that particularly stands out was a chap came in with a gunshot wound to his head (glancing shot, very lucky). Turns out he had attempted to rob a few houses in a reasonably well-off area and had come prepared with a gun. Home owner had caught him unawares, smacked him in the back of the knees with plank of wood from kitchen renovations, whereupon he dropped the gun which the chap picked up and shot him with. In the face, never having fired a gun before...

He was, of course, screaming bloody murder that he was going to get the guy prosecuted, and the copper's response was brilliant:

"Calm down sir, there's no reason go getting upset, you'll just make things worse"
"Worse? He nearly fucking killed me!"
"Sir, you entered his home with a deadly weapon in hand, which he used to defend himself from what was obviously a threat to his life and that of his family. You got off lightly. Now we have to go and make sure the poor guy understands that he did nothing wrong and need not worry about going to prison"
"Oh? And what's going to happen to me then? I got shot!"
"I don't know sir, that's for the courts and a judge to decide."

They threw the book at him.

Likewise, I've seen battered wives come in covered in blood - their husband's, because he attacked her in the kitchen and she defended herself effectively with a carving knife. They tend to be taken into a refuge while an investigation is done, but almost all of them come out again without a stain on their character. Of course, we've also had some that attack first and then claim they were defending themselves - those require forensics and are an absolute nightmare to sort out.

Fortunately all I had to do was clean them up.

I tend to view the ownership of weapons like drugs or abortion. I think it's tragic that situations have made that option a necessity for some, but if we live in a truly free society who am I to tell someone they can't do it? Modern 3D printing is also slowly making the concept of gun control laughably untenable.

Sadly, the reasons you want a gun or knife are not completely negated simply by owning one; you are treating the symptom but not the root cause. As yet there exists no society where the means to correct the root cause is possible, so by all means load up on those weapons if you choose. The problem I see with them personally is that even in the best of circumstances they are no guarantee that you will be able to defend yourself, so you could have a well stocked armoury and still not really be safe in all situations. So to me the investment of time and money to maintain them, keep them safely away from my children, and keep my skills with them current is too much of an investment. Still, it's hard to argue with stories like the above, or some of the ones I've read, where a firearm was the difference between the loss of property or the safety of your family. Its certainly a nuanced issue, and it bothers me when people try to reduce it to a simple binary yes/no response.

Back