Pyra as a Phone

I still think this whole "I want to use it as my primary phone" is simply so you can pull it out and show off.
I actually take offence at this. I think I have said that I want to use it as my phone so I don't need more than one device when I'm out.

@Thinkpad
I would expect that it would be better for a camera attachment to point "down"; that way, when Pyra is held open in a normal fashion, the view into the screen by the user is roughly in the same direction as the view from the camera just behind the screen.

All the USB ports are on the back right?

So it will be nice to have a small male USB camera + flash on a single tiny module attachable to one of the USB ports on the back.

I can easy see this as an official accessory.

something like this, but with Xenon or LED flash on it, and male USB strait on its back instead of sideways.

Camera_5Mpix_micro_extension_board_USB.jpg
Something like that might work. Would people be more interested in using it as you describe, or by having a short cable and some method to attach to the top that allows it to turn 180 so it can face the user for video chat or away for taking pics and videos? It could be a semiofficial product if ED approves of whatever is made. Seems like a good idea to me.

With the image you made it keeps it all smaller, however it might rip apart if shoved in a pocket. The trade off for what I described is it will be carried along with the Pyra, so it might get lost, and you have to attach it when you want to use it. Attaching it isn't a big deal to me, however, as I mentioned, I do things a bit differently than many people, and I don't really take pictures or videos with mobile devices.

Camera people, what do you think?

^
I can use a small wifi camera instead then.

For now I like the Ai Ball
It's not the smallest thing but it can be controlled via wifi. There is a PC, IOS and Android app.
Android might work pretty soon (see this Thread)

You don't always have a cell phone with you? If not you would be the only one in the world, and every phone has a camera.

I don't have a smartphone and my very small clamshell cell phone doesn't have a camera.
I am not the only one in the world by far.

All the USB ports are on the back right?

So it will be nice to have a small male USB camera + flash on a single tiny module attachable to one of the USB ports on the back.

I can easy see this as an official accessory.

something like this, but with Xenon or LED flash on it, and male USB strait on its back instead of sideways.

Camera_5Mpix_micro_extension_board_USB.jpg

This would actually be pretty cool, especcially since I don't even have a proper camera and a 6'' display with a cam attached to its back would be nice for taking pictures.

Last edited:
What phone is that?

A shorter/smaller 2008/2009 version of this.
Battery life was about 3 weeks once and is about 1 week after 7 years of use now.
The new ones are supposed to work for 4 weeks with comparable use without recharging.
I need something small, reliable and sturdy that doesn't need much recharging, so a smartphone doesn't fit the bill, especcially when working/playing on folk festivals with camping somewhere where there is no wall charging and carrying loads of technical accessories is too inconvenient.

Last edited:
Would people be more interested in using it as you describe, or by having a short cable and some method to attach to the top that allows it to turn 180 so it can face the user for video chat or away for taking pics and videos?
I think I prefer to have a camera that directly plugs into the usb port. The short cable can be an arbitrary USB extension cable if flexibility is a requirement. Either backwards or downwards facing would be ok (probably downwards is easier to utilize).

With the image you made it keeps it all smaller, however it might rip apart if shoved in a pocket.
Yes, this is a risk if the camera is not flat enough. Naturally, I prefer not to attach every time, but having the option is more important than no option at all. It depends a bit on the carry-case, I suppose.

Build a hinge into a USB camera and it could face forwards (90* bend), down (flat/180*) (forward if Pyra open all the way) or backward (270*).

Backward may not be as useless as it might sound on first glance. Flip the Pyra upside down, open 1/3 way (or so) and you can see the screen (upside down) and have the camera pointing at you (over the bottom now on top). Use the stylus to brace it open in that position. Video conference mode activated.

Edit: Oh - and bonus - we can have two of them for stereo cameras - though they would be placed about 2cm from each other...

Last edited:
Flip the Pyra upside down, open 1/3 way (or so) and you can see the screen (upside down) and have the camera pointing at you (over the bottom now on top). Use the stylus to brace it open in that position. Video conference mode activated.

Hahaha, that's so wacky. I just love it :)

<edit>It's a good thing that the Pyra has a rotation chip in it :p</edit>

Now we just need someone to produce a silly little hinged USB camera with the USB upside-down (port orientation will matter).

Edit: Hinged AND rotating:

Just needs a camera instead of the female USB end.

Edit2: The camera to go into the end of the flexible bit:

Solved?

Last edited:
Not sure why they won't show up for you - they are links to the Amazon website that these boards automagically turned into pictures. Maybe click on the links?

Clearly I'm not the only interested one in seeing an open source multi-purpose mini-computer with keyboard that can be used as a cellphone.

So here is an idea: instead of fantasizing on wacky camera addons, bluetooth headsets and rationalizing an awkward cellphone device with "I almost never use my cellphone", how about we make a petition or something to the people behind Pyra to ask for such a device?

Of course it would take 1-2 years, but the end result would be much better than paying 600-700 euros for a device that doesn't fit the purpose.

PS. All this reminds me of a spanish saying: "... and if my grandma had wheels she would be a bicycle".

@lameventanas I don't think that is a bad idea, I might buy such a device if ED made one, but I think the number of people within this niche in a niche you describe are pretty small. As it is proposed, the Pyra will fit my needs. The phone functionality is an add on, an afterthought of sorts, just as it should be for me (I went through a long period where I was essentially on call at all time, and I already worked 70+ hours a week, and I frequently got calls for really stupid stuff at all times, so I despise such a leash now). If I had a greater need to be reachable at all times again, yeah, I would rather have something designed for that purpose first, instead of for games.

Let's just see how the Pyra does, then look at getting a new SoC, and see if ED feels like making a smartphone...maybe it could be called the geniusfone.:p&|a:

@lameventanas I don't think that is a bad idea, I might buy such a device if ED made one, but I think the number of people within this niche in a niche you describe are pretty small. As it is proposed, the Pyra will fit my needs. The phone functionality is an add on, an afterthought of sorts, just as it should be for me (I went through a long period where I was essentially on call at all time, and I already worked 70+ hours a week, and I frequently got calls for really stupid stuff at all times, so I despise such a leash now). If I had a greater need to be reachable at all times again, yeah, I would rather have something designed for that purpose first, instead of for games.

Let's just see how the Pyra does, then look at getting a new SoC, and see if ED feels like making a smartphone...maybe it could be called the geniusfone.:p&|a:

Let's face it. The Pyra's 4G system is primarily for data. It is, essentially, a connected tablet/computer. The fact that it can make voice calls at all is a novelty.

Let's face it. The Pyra's 4G system is primarily for data. It is, essentially, a connected tablet/computer. The fact that it can make voice calls at all is a novelty.
Oh, I completely agree, but if it works why not use it? Hell, I still don't know if anyone will let me use it for anything other than data. At least we have the possibilty to (try to) do what we want with it, and that is the wonderful thing about projects like this.

Clearly I'm not the only interested one in seeing an open source multi-purpose mini-computer with keyboard that can be used as a cellphone.

So here is an idea: instead of fantasizing on wacky camera addons, bluetooth headsets and rationalizing an awkward cellphone device with "I almost never use my cellphone", how about we make a petition or something to the people behind Pyra to ask for such a device?

The Pandora is "an open source multi-purpose mini-computer with keyboard that can be used as a cellphone".
So what do you want?
A Smartphone running Linux with a surface like keyboard? Everything else will have the same form factor as the Pyra, a Nintendo DS like design.
The only thing it does not provide is a camera.

The only other way I might think of is a Device like the Pyra with the Speaker and microphone inside the Lid and a Hinge you could flip for 180°. This would sacrifice screen size but you could hold it like a smartphone while phone calls.
But that would be pretty hard to make especially if you want a camera inside the lid as well. I wish you luck designing an LCD cable which can fit through a 180° hinge with lanes for Mipi, Speakers, Microphone and Camera (Data and power).

Better be happy with the Pyra. I already tested the "phone call pose" with the prototype. I is really not that bad as you all might say.
For normal phone usage it's really ok and those who do a lot of phone work a headset is mandatory anyways (at least in my opinion).

Please think about it. All that's missing for a full smartphone experience is a camera. And to get 1 or 2 inside the case at a good spot would make the design a lot more complicated.

...The only other way I might think of is a Device like the Pyra with the Speaker and microphone inside the Lid and a Hinge you could flip for 180°.
It would probably make more sense to put this into a thick battery cover on the bottom instead. You would have to fit the camera along with an additional microphone and speaker inside and the somehow hook it up to the main device (perhaps wireless or via an external USB plug). Major downside would be that the total becomes really thick that way.

Back