Release PX68k - Sharp X68000 Emulator

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is PX68k, a Sharp X68000 Emulator. The X68000 is a Japanese computer, and it feature some awesome arcade conversion (like R-Type, Rygar, Gradius, Strider, Super Hangon...).

preview1.png

The code has been slightly modified (diff sources in the PND). It use GLES 1.1 for the display (so it use Hardware scaling), but also use Texture Streaming, to still have maximum speed.

The JoyKey button as been redirected to {X} and {B} Pandora buttons.

Of course, you need ROMS file for the Emu to start. You need 2 files, to be put in appdata/px68k. It's cgrom.dat and one of iplrom.dat, iplromco.dat, iplrom30.dat or iplromxv.dat

This emu is all in Japanese (emu mostly translated in English with build 09, but of course, most stuff for this one are still in japanese)...

Use F11 to immediatly quit or F12 for the System Menu.

History log
=========

Build 09
-----------

• Added updated M68k and Cyclone CPU emu from retroarch fork
  • Pandora build use Cyclone CPU
  • Configurable CPU Emulator speed
  • Configurable Ram Size
  • Translated most menu items to English
Build 08
-----------

• Fixed Scanlines
Build 07
-----------

• Added option (in F12 screen) for (faked) Scanlines
  • Added cgrom.dat to the rom package.
Build 06
-----------

• Added option (in F12 screen) for Stretched anamorphic display
  • Added option to copy iplromxv.dat rom if none is found
Build 05
-----------

• Files are sorted with case insentive
  • Max files increased from 1000 to 4000
  • Speed browse: use Right Shoulder {R} and DPad
Build 04
-----------

• The "StartDir" in config file as now an effect in the File selection dialog
  • Files are sorted now
  • Fine tuned default parameters
Build 03
-----------

• Cut too long file name to avoid messing the GUI
  • Added Left/Right in file browser for 10 lines movement
  • Added powervr.ini file to minimise tearing
Build 02
-----------

• Fixed mouse support
Build 01
-----------

• Initial build
  • Adapted GLES code to Linux build
  • Added Texture Streaming support
  • Adapted to Pandora keymap

preview2.png

Sources are on my github account: https://github.com/ptitSeb/px68k

Last edited:
Oh, now THIS is awesome - I didn't even know a proper emulator for this existed for Linux, now there even is one for the Pandora. Need to try this :)

Just noticed that mouse support was not working.

Now it work (and I hidden the X mouse). Activate the Mouse in the F12 Menu (and keep JoyKey to ON).

It will not work with the Touchscreen for now (and it's pretty difficult to implement), but it works fine with Nubs (or a real mouse).

Build 02

-----------

• Fixed mouse support

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, tried it but had some issues.

Joystick mapping doesn't seem to work for me.

Tried R-Type and the firebutton was the Space Key.

And with Bubble Bobble, Jump was mapped to Space as well... couldn't find the key to blow bubbles though.

The Rombrowser has issues as well... it doesn't sort the files and if the file names are too long (I'm using the TOSEC set), they mess up the screen completely.

Also, no repeat on the DPad makes your thumb hurt, too :)

Hopefully, these are easy fixes - graphics and sound are spot-on :)

Okay, tried it but had some issues.
I have already corrected a few in build 02, but there are still a few yes...

Joystick mapping doesn't seem to work for me.

Tried R-Type and the firebutton was the Space Key.

And with Bubble Bobble, Jump was mapped to Space as well... couldn't find the key to blow bubbles though.
In the F12 menu, got down to the last one, and set JoyKey to "ON". Then the mapping will work.

The Rombrowser has issues as well... it doesn't sort the files and if the file names are too long (I'm using the TOSEC set), they mess up the screen completely.
Yes, I have noticed that too.

Also, no repeat on the DPad makes your thumb hurt, too :)
Hmmm

Hopefully, these are easy fixes - graphics and sound are spot-on :)
The rom browser may not be easy. For the long name, I can probably truncate the name to avoid braking the display. That could be easy. Introducing a left/right scrolling to see the complete name, on the oposite, is much harder, so I may try the cutting first.

For the auto-repeat, I don't know if it's an easy or not fix. Not sure it will be easy in fact.

I'll try to make a build 03 with some improvements...

Oh, right, the menu scrolls down, didn't notice that - now I got proper joystick controls, thanks.

If DPad repeat is too hard, skipping 10 entries with DPad left/right would work as well (probably even better).

Doesn't have VSync support now, but nice games :)

Only read about the X68000 so far, nice to finally be able to try the games :)

Ok, built a third version, where long filenames don't mess the gui, and Left/Right can speed up the browsing of large catalog. Also, I have put the powervr.ini file to have flip instead of blit for SwapBuffers, that should help with tearing...

I have just tried Gemini Wings.. . Seriously, the arcade conversion on the plateform are just awesome!

Build 03

-----------

• Cut too long file name to avoid messing the GUI
  • Added Left/Right in file browser for 10 lines movement
  • Added powervr.ini file to minimise tearing

Sounds great :D

Another idea: Make the font smaller, so you don't need to cut off a lot :)

Or display the selected file somewhere in the bottom with a small font, so you can see which disk you selected.

Basically now only file sorting is missing, though you can also to that using fatsort on your SD Card ;)

Ha so cool! I was just looking for this emu on the repo a couple of days ago because I saw a article on the x68000 on youtube (Game Sack) and now there is one. Thanks for the work Pitseb!

Thanks for that release PtitSeb.

Just try a few roms and it works quite well.

Is it possible to change the default roms path ? ... trying to change Startdir variable in config file put that doesnt seem to work.

It would be nice to support zip files as well

Try to load Ghouls'n Ghosts (2 disks) but it stops under dos after loading the first disk ... not enough good in japanese to understand the error message ;-)

Sounds great :D

Another idea: Make the font smaller, so you don't need to cut off a lot :)

Or display the selected file somewhere in the bottom with a small font, so you can see which disk you selected.

Basically now only file sorting is missing, though you can also to that using fatsort on your SD Card ;)
Small font will be difficult, because it uses X68000 System font to display.

Sorting, I can try. I have to check how latin alphabet and hiragana can be sorted, but that should be doable (the "first letter" jump will probably be a lot harder).

Ha so cool! I was just looking for this emu on the repo a couple of days ago because I saw a article on the x68000 on youtube (Game Sack) and now there is one. Thanks for the work Pitseb!
Yeah, I have just seen it too, nice review.

Thanks for that release PtitSeb.

Just try a few roms and it works quite well.

Is it possible to change the default roms path ? ... trying to change Startdir variable in config file put that doesnt seem to work.

It would be nice to support zip files as well

Try to load Ghouls'n Ghosts (2 disks) but it stops under dos after loading the first disk ... not enough good in japanese to understand the error message ;-)
The default rompath, ah, I didn't noticed, I had put the disk in the default folder. I'll take a look.

For some game, some will not work depending on the model (i.e. ROM) you have choosen. Only 1 rom is loaded, even if you have the 4 at the same place. And iplrom.dat is loaded first. So by default, it's the basic model that's loaded. If you want a beefier model, just put iplromxv.dat (or iplrom30.dat), and try again.

Zipped rom: not sure, I'll check, but it's not high on my list of things to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Games that have multiple disks require that you put first disk in ffd0 second disk in fdd1 tried ghouls n ghosts loads fine.

I fine tuned a bit the default parameters and sorted the files.

Also, the "StartDir" parameter in the config file is now used.

Build 04

-----------

• The "StartDir" in config file as now an effect in the File seleciton dialog
  • Files are sorted now
  • Finetuned default parameters

I fine tuned a bit the default parameters and sorted the files.

Also, the "StartDir" parameter in the config file is now used.

Build 04

-----------

• The "StartDir" in config file as now an effect in the File seleciton dialog
  • Files are sorted now
  • Finetuned default parameters
What a reactive guy you are ... thanks !

Games that have multiple disks require that you put first disk in ffd0 second disk in fdd1 tried ghouls n ghosts loads fine.
Well ... that's what i did system disk in ffd0 and data one in fdd1.

I tried several versions (xdf, dim, [a] [a2]) ... always the same error : stop under # with DM.X message before.

Did you use the iplrom.dat or another one ?

I use the iplrom.dat and [a2] dim rom as well so no idea why your having no luck all games I've tried so far work really good.

Back