Puredata Gp2x

chr15m

Still Fresh
PD (aka Pure Data) is a real-time graphical programming environment used mostly for audio synthesis.

Gp2xPd allows you to put your Pure Data patches on your gp2x and jam with them using the joystick. So basically it lets you make your own little music machines and play them on the gp2x.

http://mccormick.cx/projects/gp2xPd/

when i first saw pd on the gp2x via the piggy mailing list i wondered how impossible it would be to create patches using the limited controls of the handheld.

only NOW do i realize that you could build things on your PC and then transfer them to the gp2x to play around with!

Obviously the gp2x interface is quite different from the normal mouse+monitor+keyboard combination normally used to play with Pd patches. To navigate between GUI elements use the joystick. If you want to modify a GUI element hold down the 'B' button. If the widget is a toggle, it will toggle when you press 'B'. If it's a numberbox you must hold down 'B' and then move the joystick to change the number. Left/right will modify it by one, whilst up/down will modify the value by 12.

aha, this is a little different than i imagined. my first impression was that within each patch, you would tie the gp2x buttons & combos directly to toggles and number boxes. the way it actually works allows for more versitility, but perhaps less playability (if you were trying to create an instrument you played by hitting the buttons of the gp2x).

still, what an awesome idea. i can't wait to see the interesting things people share to load up and jam out on. i've never used pd but now must be the time to learn :)

questions: can gp2xPD render to .wav or similar? can PD in general open samples or it is purely a synthesis enviornment?

starpause posted on Oct 17 2006 at 06:36 PM said:
when i first saw pd on the gp2x via the piggy mailing list i wondered how impossible it would be to create patches using the limited controls of the handheld.

only NOW do i realize that you could build things on your PC and then transfer them to the gp2x to play around with!

Obviously the gp2x interface is quite different from the normal mouse+monitor+keyboard combination normally used to play with Pd patches. To navigate between GUI elements use the joystick. If you want to modify a GUI element hold down the 'B' button. If the widget is a toggle, it will toggle when you press 'B'. If it's a numberbox you must hold down 'B' and then move the joystick to change the number. Left/right will modify it by one, whilst up/down will modify the value by 12.

aha, this is a little different than i imagined. my first impression was that within each patch, you would tie the gp2x buttons & combos directly to toggles and number boxes. the way it actually works allows for more versitility, but perhaps less playability (if you were trying to create an instrument you played by hitting the buttons of the gp2x).

still, what an awesome idea. i can't wait to see the interesting things people share to load up and jam out on. i've never used pd but now must be the time to learn :)

questions: can gp2xPD render to .wav or similar? can PD in general open samples or it is purely a synthesis enviornment?

Yes to both of the above, (although in the case of rendering this depends on whether disk handling is supported by the runtime on the 2x.) Basically put PD is the environment which Max/msp is derived from and continues to be supported as a free alternative.

If you want my advice, I would download a free demo of max/msp, do all the tutorials in 30 days, and then go over to PD, this is the easiest route to learning the environment :)

As you suggest it would be amazing if you could map the buttons directly to a PD external :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr_Munk posted on Oct 18 2006 at 04:22 AM said:
Yes to both of the above, (although in the case of rendering this depends on whether disk handling is supported by the runtime on the 2x.) Basically put PD is the environment which Max/msp is derived from and continues to be supported as a free alternative.

As you suggest it would be amazing if you could map the buttons directly to a PD external :D

I have not tested out disk reading or writing, but it should work. This is a pretty alpha release. I'll add that idea of mapping the buttons directly into the TODO list as an optional startup flag or something. There will probably be a config file to specify which buttons do which things.

Mr_Munk, ten pound bounty sounds wicked! If you still want to make that happen you can get my paypal address by taking my first name @ my last name and then adding a .cx on the end of that.

Will post here when the next version is released!

Last edited by a moderator:
300319815_c64e8171a0_m.jpg

http://flickr.com/photos/k9d/300319815/

today i got gp2xPureData running ... i don't know how to use puredata so i just jammed with the default bigtest patch that it comes with ... here's an mp3 for the curious ... i hope someone smart makes some more rad patches and shares them :) ... i'd kill to have something like PBSynth that rendered to .wav for import to piggy :ph34r:

http://mp3death.us/mor/pureDataPortedToGam...eSoberCobra.mp3

Im trying to use it on an f200 and seem to be getting kicked back to the gp2x start screen every time i try to load it. :(
Id love to get this working are there any known issue with the f200? Any chance of touchscreen support?

Back