Glbasic For The Gp2x!

Good news is my campus dean is looking into this software for the video game development & design. We have software but this one will do just right in order to get the students started with some basic stuff , before jumping into the big C++ ship.

Yeah seriously I don't understand all of the whinin' when a commercial title comes out. We are seriously lucky anyone releases a piece of commercial software for the GP2X with it's micro sized user base.

There is always bitchin' that it costs too much, has less than expensive ipod quality packaging, etc. Then there is bitchin' that there are no commercial games for the GP2X and how they are going to buy a DS etc :blink:

I hope this does well for them. I would buy it if i could code in the slightest. Unfortunatly I am a total retard with anything that has to do with coding, even BASIC. The first PEEk or POKE or data statement and I get a headache and am out :rolleyes: I saw the BASIC for dummies books but I couldn't find the BASIC for total morons books ;) I would attempt a boulderdash or space invaders clone but that is even out of my league :p I have to stick with d-pad mods. I hope to see some cool stuff with this from others though.

Cervante posted on Feb 1 2007 at 07:43 PM said:
Good news is my campus dean is looking into this software for the video game development & design. We have software but this one will do just right in order to get the students started with some basic stuff , before jumping into the big C++ ship.
Speaking of ordering gp2x related things for schools...

What ever happened with that guy who was gonna order like 40 gp2x's for his computer programming course. I figured we'd see some programs from them. Or have we already seen them but they just never told us that they were from that class.

Last edited by a moderator:
W00t! Now we gonna have some great new titles coming for the 2X thanks to this GLBasic. I'm gonna order one soon what about you guys?

Hi KungPhoo,

I am really amazed by your project.

The holy grail of any homebrew community seems to be fast easy-to-program 3D and if you have combined openGL with BASIC (and an IDE from what I can tell), you have given the gp2x community a spectacular resource (However, I may not thank you after the 100th unfinished homebrew 3D game...)

Anyway, congratulations, I am very envious of your ability!

DaveC posted on Feb 2 2007 at 03:16 PM said:
Yeah seriously I don't understand all of the whinin' when a commercial title comes out. We are seriously lucky anyone releases a piece of commercial software for the GP2X with it's micro sized user base.

There is always bitchin' that it costs too much, has less than expensive ipod quality packaging, etc. Then there is bitchin' that there are no commercial games for the GP2X and how they are going to buy a DS etc :blink:

True...

Sure. Has been so for 5 years now.

Strange. I had something similar before tweaking the vblank thing. Thx for feedback!

GLBasic offers free school licenses. See webpage.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 2 2007 at 12:57 AM said:
Now we've got someone releasing a complete commercial BASIC Interpreter... what do people do?

* Complain about that it isn't free (sounds like PSP shit to me).
Well, this is a linux based platform - you're not likely to get many people shelling out. However, from reading this thread from the beginning, the majority of posters have said that they'll buy it.

* Complain about it maybe not being legal
Yes, well. GPL nazis can be extremely unfriendly, even for honest simple mistakes. If you want an application to do well on the '2x, you should be encouraging the developer to get the legal aspects right. If they miss something, then they may well be scared off when some idiot reports them.

* Tell the developer that they will pirate it (yep, those are the guys I should ban... I'm just too friendly, I guess).
"guys"? Plural? Sorry, I only see one offer of piracy there. Nobody else has said they're going to pirate it. Unless you meant me? That would make two... If I'd said I was going to pirate it.

* Complain about a FULLY FUNCTIONAL demo version with the ONLY crippled thing being a timelimit on the compiled file. Come on. You can do ANYTHING, even save. Try out ALL functions. Try everything on your gp2x - but only for two minutes. Should be okay don't ya think?
Well, 2 mins is restrictive for something that's going to be creating games. 5 Mins is much better, and we wouldn't have gotten that if we hadn't complained. That goes for most of the emulators too - how any features have been added because people here requested them?

Okay, come on guys. This would've never happened 2 years ago.
Why are there so many people around that always do moan, whatever happens.
Yes, you do, don't you? :)

To be honest, the only valid point you make in your post is about the (one) possible pirate. It seems that you don't care about the legality of the distribution under it's license which is hardly supporting the developer. Friendly advice was given in that regard.

Please sell your gp2x before you pirate, okay? Thanks.
Obviously you don't use an emulator. That's fine, but the rest of us are quite happy to pirate the ROMs needed to play our games. That doesn't mean everyone will rush onto p2p to pick this one up.

Sorry about the rant (and the contribution to the degradation of the scene in general) but it seems you'd made a few too many assumptions in that post there.

D.

Dunny posted on Feb 2 2007 at 11:55 AM said:
Yes, well. GPL nazis can be extremely unfriendly, even for honest simple mistakes. If you want an application to do well on the '2x, you should be encouraging the developer to get the legal aspects right. If they miss something, then they may well be scared off when some idiot reports them.
That's exactly why I mentionned that very point: make sure noone will come after the authors for a simple mistake.

BTW the "GPL nazis" are making sure you still can get some source code for software based on GPL code.

Anyway all what matters is that GLBasic gets out :)

rooster posted on Feb 2 2007 at 11:43 AM said:
how much is it?? i saw the site and saw the 67.70 EUR version - is that the full gp2x version price?

cheers

You need at least the NET addon, which is 16,70 EUR + 25,- EUR for SDK lite. (that's 2D only then)

EvilDragon posted on Feb 2 2007 at 01:57 AM said:
I'm still wondering what happened to that friendly and nice GP32 community...

Now we've got someone releasing a complete commercial BASIC Interpreter... what do people do?

* Complain about that it isn't free (sounds like PSP shit to me).
* Tell the developer that they will pirate it (yep, those are the guys I should ban... I'm just too friendly, I guess).
* Complain about a FULLY FUNCTIONAL demo version with the ONLY crippled thing being a timelimit on the compiled file. Come on. You can do ANYTHING, even save. Try out ALL functions. Try everything on your gp2x - but only for two minutes. Should be okay don't ya think?

Okay, come on guys. This would've never happened 2 years ago.
Why are there so many people around that always do moan, whatever happens.

Well, I've got some simple help for you:

* Too expensive? Don't use it.
* Pirate it? Thanks. Hopefully, nobody will ever release anything anymore because of you. Please sell your gp2x before you pirate, okay? Thanks.

I hate reading all those posts. Destructive posts.
Holy crap, if you only want FREE STUFF, simply DON'T BUY IT! But don't complain to the dev that it will be COMMERCIAL! Okay? Thanks.
yeah, maybe thats why dont visit gp32x as often as I used too... :(

@DaveC, you're right :)

and dowloading roms for systems that aren't even sold anymore is totally different then cracking gp32/gp2x copy protections.

edit: dunny, stop making a fool of yourself and shut up.

As a coding "snob" I'd never lower myself to coding in BASIC again. Been in this game too many years for that.

As a n00b, BASIC is a great way of picking up coding skills.

I appreciate the work that goes into writing some release quality software, so if you can make a go of it AND make some cash out of it all credit to you.

Good luck on the licensing issues though, sticky situation there.

Finally, I checked out your site and GLBasic looks like if offers a lot of functionality, but you might consider getting someone else to proof read the site for some of the typos to give it a more professional appearance.

Best of luck expanding on the GP2X dev community.

My son is 11 and beginning development on a PC using GameMaker at the moment. I'm sure if he got wind of GLBasic my GP2X would no longer be a safe haven for "old" games ;)

Updated Version. Are the flicker problems gone now?

KungPhoo posted on Feb 2 2007 at 01:15 AM said:
Well, if you don't own the cartridge, it's illegal. Anyway. Here's something completely free:
http://www.glbasic.com/beta/wumbo-gp2x.rar
Should look like:
wumbo_ce.gif

Get an Internet Update with GLBasic and you should be able to compile/test now. 3D is still buggy. 2D needs improvement for more speed.

aapje89 posted on Feb 2 2007 at 01:57 PM said:
and dowloading roms for systems that aren't even sold anymore is totally different then cracking gp32/gp2x copy protections.

Why is downloading ROMs different? I agree that morally you're not doing much harm, but legally you don't have a leg to stand on. Unless you can quote me some copyright law that says otherwise?

Thought not. Carry on, fool.

D.

PokeParadox posted on Feb 2 2007 at 05:30 PM said:
Stop the thread hijack please. >_>

Irony :p

Anyway, here's my take on this:

Yes, I'm interested in this software, but $88+ is too rich for my blood .. especially for new, un-optimized software.

I paid $30+ for Vektar, and feel that was over-priced for a game that STILL has glitches in it (to my knowledge, a patch has never been released to fix these gliches), and I won't even go into the less-then-professional packaging, and sloppy label that has since lost its ink from inserting/removing the card :rolleyes:

... so yeah, I feel a little burnt from this experience, and am being cautious (maybe a bit overly so) about commercial releases for the '2X.

(And where the hell is the commercial B.O.B. already?!? :angry: :lol: :angry: )

Dunny posted on Feb 2 2007 at 11:11 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Feb 2 2007 at 01:57 PM said:

Why is downloading ROMs different? I agree that morally you're not doing much harm, but legally you don't have a leg to stand on. Unless you can quote me some copyright law that says otherwise?
I wasn't talking about the legal aspects of it ;)

Updated Version. Are the flicker problems gone now?

I still only get a black screen no matter what I do!

So ehm could you past a small piece of glbasic code that is supposed to work? And in case that piece of code does not work for me, could you also post the GP2X binary so I can test THAT on my GP2X?

thanks!

I'm seriously considering buying this, but would really like to see a demo of something running on the gp2x that has been coded with it.

Is anything available? Surely it makes sense for the developer to release a simple game as a gp2x executable to show what is possible, or is current performance really too slow for anything to be playable?

Back