Glbasic For The Gp2x!

Draken posted on Feb 1 2007 at 04:06 PM said:
Why? He didn't do anything that contradicts the boards' rules?

1 day after the guy releases his software this guy wants to discuss pirating it?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
bigsofty posted on Feb 1 2007 at 04:17 PM said:
Draken posted on Feb 1 2007 at 04:06 PM said:
Why? He didn't do anything that contradicts the boards' rules?

1 day after the guy releases his software this guy wants to discuss pirating it?!?!

Where is that against the forum rules? If he wants to admit that he's gonna pirate it, then he's free to do so, so long as he doesn't point others to where he gets it from.

TBH though, it's not gonna be very hard to remove the 2 (or 5) minute restriction with a hex editor. It may be a little more complex if the executables are compressed, but again it's no big deal and if the language is popular enough you can expect cracks for games created with the demo to be out within a week or so...

Limiting "demos" like this is pointless - those that are going to pirate it will do, and usually within two days of release too (though I understand that the timescales involved are usually much shorter, on the order of 1 *hour* after the official release in some cases).

D.

KungPhoo posted on Feb 1 2007 at 10:07 AM said:
Shadowsithe posted on Feb 1 2007 at 03:35 PM said:
I'll pirate it. Try it, and see if it's worth the investment. I'm not into spending money on something I don't know enough about. Especially when the price tag is pushing three figures... probably is in Canada's monopoly money.

I might increase to 5 minutes time limit. That should be fair enough to see if it's worth the investment.

KungPhoo, please don't be too put off by this talk of licensing concerns and pirating. It sounds like you'll be able to work out the licensing issues, and I'm sure that you'll have a fair amount of legitimate purchasers. This topic has already generated a good amount of activity. BASIC would be awesome for those of us who are interested in creating our own simple games.

Thanks for porting your work to the GP2X. I hope this continues to develop into a full, working language.

Dunny posted on Feb 1 2007 at 05:55 PM said:
Limiting "demos" like this is pointless - those that are going to pirate it will do, and usually within two days of release too (though I understand that the timescales involved are usually much shorter, on the order of 1 *hour* after the official release in some cases).

D.
you dont know the gp2x/gp32x people then... we dont pirate here.

saehn posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:06 PM said:
KungPhoo, please don't be too put off by this talk of licensing concerns and pirating. It sounds like you'll be able to work out the licensing issues, and I'm sure that you'll have a fair amount of legitimate purchasers.
Just to clear things up, I certainly did not try to put him off, I was just pointing out something that may impact his work and there certainly are easy solutions to obey the LGPL :)

Laurent posted on Feb 1 2007 at 01:16 PM said:
Just to clear things up, I certainly did not try to put him off, I was just pointing out something that may impact his work and there certainly are easy solutions to obey the LGPL :)

Oh, of course. I wasn't suggesting that you did. These licensing issues are a very legitimate concern, IMO. And, I agree that it seems like he can resolve them. :D

Hell, i'll splash out £35 for it after I try some basic 3D stuff. If that runs OK it might be a great way for me to create 3D stuff. I know C fairly well, and can do 2D stuff pretty cleanly, but my 3D projects of the past have always got too messy too fast, and not just turned into complex hair loss sessions, but also make me hate C! :p Hell I might splash out the 35 quid just to show my appreaciation for the devs even porting this to the GP2X.

yeah while I will do my own projects in something else then basic, I think it's a very good step towards getting some more 3d homebrew games out :) 2D might be easier to program, but to make it look good you need good 2d graphics too.. usually programmers are not good artists, with a few exceptions).
3D is easier for making look good without much artistic skills :)
But we'll have to await the performance... I think today or tomorrow it will be fixed.
I'll try to make a small 3d arkanoid then :)

Same here. The price seems fair enough for someone who puts a lot of time inot making a good game.

If someone uses this to make a good game, I woudl be more likely to donate to hlep pay got the license.

Anyway, for me, the deciding factor is the performance. Paticually 3D. Recently, we've disocvered what kind of 3D to expect from the GP2X, so it will be hard to get away with a mediocre 3d engine.

aapje89 posted on Feb 1 2007 at 11:52 AM said:

D.

Isn't downloading roms pirating? (if you don't own them, but seriously, how many of you do own them?)

Well, if you don't own the cartridge, it's illegal. Anyway. Here's something completely free:
http://www.glbasic.com/beta/wumbo-gp2x.rar
Should look like:
wumbo_ce.gif

Get an Internet Update with GLBasic and you should be able to compile/test now. 3D is still buggy. 2D needs improvement for more speed.

fluffyhamster posted on Feb 1 2007 at 11:56 PM said:

Isn't downloading roms pirating? (if you don't own them, but seriously, how many of you do own them?)
My thoughts too.. Even owning the original game doesn't quite get you off the hook. I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of illegal ROMs this community collectively has. Still, I think there is a certain etiquette to piracy, a hierarchy of targets with Nintendo and Microsoft somewhere near the top..
KungPhoo should definitely not be put off releasing this product. Sounds cool to me!

does the 70 dollars get you every future update... because if it doesn't i can't imagine anyone paying that kind of money for something buggy.

fluffyhamster posted on Feb 1 2007 at 11:56 PM said:

D.

Just to make myself crystal clear here, I know that we don't pirate stuff around here - there's no point for a start, and the '2x is enough of a "niche" product that the OMGR0Mz kiddies tend not to gravitate towards it - they're too busy pirating their PS1 images for the PSP. Having said that, my '2x is chock full of pirated ROM images and Speccy tape images :)

As for your question, it depends on where you are. In the UK (and, I believe, in the US too) it is not illegal to download ROM images. What is illegal is distributing them to others - that can land you in very hot water indeed. You can all relax, your NES rom collection is ok. The place you got it from isn't though :)

There's also the fallacy that you can download a ROM image if you own the original cartridge - that's not true in the slightest. If you supply a ROM image to a guy who can prove that he has the original cartridge, then you're breaking the law in most countries. He's not - but you are.

There are, AFAIK (and IANAL here) moves afoot to make emulators illegal too. That is not a nice thought.

D.

I'm still wondering what happened to that friendly and nice GP32 community...

Now we've got someone releasing a complete commercial BASIC Interpreter... what do people do?

* Complain about that it isn't free (sounds like PSP shit to me).
* Complain about it maybe not being legal
* Tell the developer that they will pirate it (yep, those are the guys I should ban... I'm just too friendly, I guess).
* Complain about a FULLY FUNCTIONAL demo version with the ONLY crippled thing being a timelimit on the compiled file. Come on. You can do ANYTHING, even save. Try out ALL functions. Try everything on your gp2x - but only for two minutes. Should be okay don't ya think?

Okay, come on guys. This would've never happened 2 years ago.
Why are there so many people around that always do moan, whatever happens.

Well, I've got some simple help for you:

* Too expensive? Don't use it.
* Pirate it? Thanks. Hopefully, nobody will ever release anything anymore because of you. Please sell your gp2x before you pirate, okay? Thanks.

I hate reading all those posts. Destructive posts.
Holy crap, if you only want FREE STUFF, simply DON'T BUY IT! But don't complain to the dev that it will be COMMERCIAL! Okay? Thanks.

yodaofborg posted on Feb 1 2007 at 07:22 PM said:
Hell, i'll splash out £35 for it after I try some basic 3D stuff. If that runs OK it might be a great way for me to create 3D stuff. I know C fairly well, and can do 2D stuff pretty cleanly, but my 3D projects of the past have always got too messy too fast, and not just turned into complex hair loss sessions, but also make me hate C! :p Hell I might splash out the 35 quid just to show my appreaciation for the devs even porting this to the GP2X.
May be good for you, especially as you can use inline C ;)

I hope that my post wasn't considered destructive ED... I was just suggesting a way to keep the inevitable whining about SDL_mixer's license from happening.

Honestly, I probably won't buy this because I'm quite happy with C/C++ myself (not to mention I'm incredibly poor :D ) but it's good to see something like this for the GP2X that will hopefully get more people developing games for it.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:57 PM said:
I'm still wondering what happened to that friendly and nice GP32 community...

Now we've got someone releasing a complete commercial BASIC Interpreter... what do people do?

* Complain about that it isn't free (sounds like PSP shit to me).
* Complain about it maybe not being legal
* Tell the developer that they will pirate it (yep, those are the guys I should ban... I'm just too friendly, I guess).
* Complain about a FULLY FUNCTIONAL demo version with the ONLY crippled thing being a timelimit on the compiled file. Come on. You can do ANYTHING, even save. Try out ALL functions. Try everything on your gp2x - but only for two minutes. Should be okay don't ya think?

Okay, come on guys. This would've never happened 2 years ago.
Why are there so many people around that always do moan, whatever happens.

Well, I've got some simple help for you:

* Too expensive? Don't use it.
* Pirate it? Thanks. Hopefully, nobody will ever release anything anymore because of you. Please sell your gp2x before you pirate, okay? Thanks.

I hate reading all those posts. Destructive posts.
Holy crap, if you only want FREE STUFF, simply DON'T BUY IT! But don't complain to the dev that it will be COMMERCIAL! Okay? Thanks.

I completely agree with everything you said ED.

I'm very new to this forum myself, but a lot(not all) of the bad things that are being said in this forum are coming from some of the newer members, so maybe that's why this would've never happened two years ago.

I'm not trying to say that all the new members are this way either, as I hate generalizations as much as the next guy.

I myself appreciate every new release that comes out for the GP2X whether it benefits me in any way or not and many other members are like this also, which makes this one of the better communities I've ever been a part of :)

Kungphoo, that Wumbo game looks brilliant. However, I can't get it working. When I boot it up (fw 2.1.0), it shows the letters A, B, C in a circle against a black background. Whatever I choose, it says 'loading' and gives an FPS count in the top-left corner, but doesn't seem to do anything else. Any tips?

Back