Beta Psx4Pandora Beta

Hi everyone. Sorry for the delay, but the good news is I have been working non stop on this project.

New version of psx4pandora out. Let's call this one 1.0b2 (beta 2) for now. :)

I uploaded the package psx4pandora (had to create a new package on the appstore due to some tech issues updating the package binary) here:
http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Emulator/psx4pandora10b2.inf
To download the package simply click Install.

I recommend all users to update to this version.

Here's what's new:
- Extremely improved framerate/performance due to a silly bug concerning framelimiting.
- Improved framelimiting.
- Various fixes to the file menu making it a bit more stable.
- Full screen scaling as an option. Default is aspect ratio scale.
- Working nub controls.
- Fixed an issue with the scaler that caused many games to show a blank/black screen.

Still to do:
- Have sound render a bit better.
- Fix up the file menu and improve the UI in general. The fact the menu flickers from redraw is a sad thing. :)
- Look into memory card saves and whether they're working or not. If not, may be bad MCR files or file permissions.

Let me know what you think of psx4pandora 1.0 Beta 2!

Thanks!

Cool do you think you could add the 2x scale option?

The fractional is kind of ugly.

Also what does a package install where? I always like to know what a program puts where.

Thanks again for the good work.

DaveC: The Playstation 1 can use a multitude of resolution combo's and change them out internally on the fly. The most common resolution is 320x240 which will scale 2x by default. I made the package as a PND and it follows the outlines for the spec laid out here http://pandorawiki.org/Libpnd_hub ...Basically place the pnd in /pandora/apps/ and you'll see it on the desktop when you place your SD in. The BIOS and games go in /pandora/appdata/

Uploading a video I just took of Wipeout XL being played at 600MHz on v1.0b2 of psx4pandora. :)

Thanks!

Hi zodtt just tried this again it doesn't seem as fast as the first release, also the sound now is a scratchy mess. However this could be down to me having one of the units with sound problems. The nubs work lovely :)

coevin:
The sound may be scratchy in some games. But didn't seem worse in any of the games I tested.
Keep in mind the first release was setting an overclock of 600MHz by default instead of no overclock (500MHz) as it is now.
Are you overclocking any now? It should be faster. Wondering which game(s) you're testing with so I can check on my end.

Thanks,
ZodTTD

Hi yeah I'm over clocking to 800 and I've been playing actua soccer and iss2. These games deffinately ran faster in the first release, also in that one I could hear the commentary although stuttering this time it's a complete mess. Cheers

coevin: Try disabling Frame Limiting in the menu's graphic options. It will run faster, but probably too fast. I'll see if I can try out the games mentioned and see if I get the same results.

Yeah they run better without frame limit on, maybe a little too fast but certainly more playable. The sound for me is deffinately worse, do you reckon this could be a problem on some of these units? I mean playing snes a lot of the music runs fine then some games it's a distorted mess.

coevin: Weird. Not sure what would cause the sound issues. Does the sound clear up any when you're not overclocking?

zodttd said:
Gruso: Thanks! Get a chance to try it out yet? If so, which games? :D
No Pandora yet, hence clawing my face off :D But after reading about everyone's experiences with the emu so far, reading about the update was a little fist pump moment. Hey, I have to enjoy this however I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
zodttd said:
Gruso: Thanks! Get a chance to try it out yet? If so, which games? :D
No Pandora yet, hence clawing my face off :D But after reading about everyone's experiences with the emu so far, reading about the update was a little fist pump moment. Hey, I have to enjoy this however I can.

Hah! Thanks. It's coming along for sure. :)

Here's a video I uploaded of Wipeout XL running on psx4pandora 1.0b2 @ 600MHz
http://blip.tv/file/3741490
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=butoFfho1Y8

Thanks!

Hi zodttd sound is worse for me in this build too. It was a lot better in the first one, but performance has improved. I tried overclocking but it didn't have any effect on the sound.

Cheers!

Sarlix said:
Hi zodttd sound is worse for me in this build too. It was a lot better in the first one, but performance has improved. I tried overclocking but it didn't have any effect on the sound.

Cheers!

I will need to look into my OSS sound buffering code some more. Can you let me know which game you noticed the sound quality degrade in?

zodttd said:
I will need to look into my OSS sound buffering code some more. Can you let me know which game you noticed the sound quality degrade in?

Yeah sorry I should of been more specific, I had to dash to the toilet.

I have been testing the same game in all your builds, Worms Armageddon.

In the first build the sound was bad starting from the into movie, it was all garbled. When I got into the game it was less garbled and more crackling/popping. And also out of sync.

In the second build the sound was same as above only worse, and performance was halved.

In the latest build the sound in the intro movie has improved and is almost normal, but the sound in-game is worse. The worms voices are all distorted and everything is out of sync.(note: worms voices in the first build were normal) Also the crackling is still there and about the same.

Hope that helps. :)

Back