Beta Psx4Pandora Beta

About the analog issue (jumpman): being fixed right now. We'll change the emulator to report itself as an analog controller always, along with full real support for left and right analogs. For games that didn't support analog natively, emulating digital with the left analog (as it is now) might become an option (maybe setting a keyboard key to change that?)

Hope it doesn't break any other games :p

God Ginrai said:
Great to hear. Btw, didn't you used to have a smiley face avatar or something?
Blame the board software transition :p Fixed now, thanks.

DaveC said:
What resolutions does the PSX do regularly (as in 90% of games, not the one or two oddballs) ?
320x240 and 320x256, I believe. That sometimes is actually 320x480 and 320x512 interlaced, which is the same thing basically.

The oddballs are the ones that use stuff like 512x240. These are kinda crazy though since the PS1 has very limited VRAM and you're wasting space that could be used for textures instead. Although if your game already uses little textures (ie: fighting games, small scene, little models) and you've got VRAM to spare, it might become a nice option.

DaveC said:
I noticed something about the graphics, they are filtered and look fuzzy. Could you add a menu option to get rid of that? It looks too blurry and it looks like it is expensive CPU wise to do all of that blurring together. I imagine you could get a few FPS by just doing the 2X and no filter.
I just started looking at the Pandora-specific code but I'm pretty sure the scaling is done by the video hardware. (like when you set your desktop to 640x480 in a 2180x1024 LCD and the monitor itself stretches the screen)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinnus said:
320x240 and 320x256, I believe. That sometimes is actually 320x480 and 320x512 interlaced, which is the same thing basically.

The oddballs are the ones that use stuff like 512x240. These are kinda crazy though since the PS1 has very limited VRAM and you're wasting space that could be used for textures instead. Although if your game already uses little textures (ie: fighting games, small scene, little models) and you've got VRAM to spare, it might become a nice option.

DaveC said:
I noticed something about the graphics, they are filtered and look fuzzy. Could you add a menu option to get rid of that? It looks too blurry and it looks like it is expensive CPU wise to do all of that blurring together. I imagine you could get a few FPS by just doing the 2X and no filter.
I just started looking at the Pandora-specific code but I'm pretty sure the scaling is done by the video hardware. (like when you set your desktop to 640x480 in a 2180x1024 LCD and the monitor itself stretches the screen)
Well for the 320 x 240 and 320 x 256 why couldn't we just do 2X integer for both as an option? Ok the 256 mode you may lose a few lines but it could be an option so you don't get the odd rippling from uneven pixel sizes. The 320 x 480 and 320 x 512 could be done with an even 2X horizontal and 1:1 vertical. 512 x 240 could be 1:1 horizontal and 2X vertical.

The filtering even if "free" just looks blurry though. When you smear adjacent pixels you lose contrast and detail. It looks out of focus and not sharp. Now if that Phosphor filter could be used that actually looks good.

Those are just some options that could be added (integer scale, no filter). Options never hurt, everyone has a different preference.

I have tested this and other than the dodgy sound it is great! The only game I tried so far that bit the dust was medievil. Most stuff runs pretty smooth.

Great work here.

Just tried these games

- Crash bandicoot 3 - working fine,

- tekken 3 - working fine, roughly 70% speed

- skullmonkeys - crashes to desktop

:)

I find it funny that the latest build runs better with sound turned on! Well not so funny as the sound hurts my ears in its current form so i just turn the sound down atm!
Anyway, i know Zod says he's working on the sound atm, does this include support for music, mp3, wav support? Wipeout and RR don't seem the same without music!

I can confirm sound is crystal clear since a temporary built I got yesterday.
FF9 fullspeed with 650MHz and crystal clear sound so far... some games (like Muppet RaceMania) stutter a bit even at 800MHz, but sound still is WAY better than before.
BoF4 fullspeed with 600MHz, etc.

Nice times ahead of us :D

EvilDragon said:
FF9 fullspeed with 650MHz and crystal clear sound so far... some games (like Muppet RaceMania) stutter a bit even at 800MHz, but sound still is WAY better than before.

So, this build much faster than the previous one? The "beta2" one that I have is noticeably slower (to the level of unplayable) than the first publicly released build for every game I've tried (Final Fantasy 7, Mega Man games, Gran Turismo, etc.).

Hm, I just managed to enter an endless loop of Save-state-saving... Not sure how that happend, might be that I pushed the X Button twice or something like that. :blink:

EvilDragon said:

Now this is why I got a Pandora! News like this brings me back to my GP2X times.

Something new and exciting almost every week.

Hey Zod, I know you are working on a new menu(at least I hope you are)! Can you add a processor speed adjustment to it? I hate having to due it thru the Panodra's menu. I'm looking forward to the sound fix.

Chris

I've tried also a couple of games and they work fairly well.
Perhaps the metallic sound and the half a second delay gets a bit on ones nerves, but its passable (and you have already said its being worked on, so no biggie).
However I encounter some crashes on the menu, specially when navigating through the filesystem to load a game, though it turned out I had an unclean filesystem (I hoped using ext3 with journaling would avoid this type of errors).

How can I run a pnd on the console so that the applications can spout nasty things to the console, like at the very least a segmentation fault or maybe IO error or something like that for the cases like above? pnd_run doesn't print these messages.
This is a problem I have with a couple of games (like hexen or heretic) that I don't know if they actually crashes or they just can't find the data files.

Also, how is it going the z and znx images with mp3 cd tracks from pocketiso? I have Lode Runner and considering the game is just 38 mb and the rest 500 mb are just audio, being able to compress it really frees up space, specially when stacked with the many other games that used cd audio.

This game works perfectly, though with no music.

Not that it matters much for now since I can't make PocketIso to merge the mp3 sounds back to the z file. Which is odd because the audio gets ripped, gets encoded (at a shitty 48kbps) and leaves the files in the audio folder. Only Spyro the dragon worked generating a ZNX file.

Cheers.

PS: Heh, I'll edit before I even submit, turns out a clean filesystem also crashes the emu when trying to access the /media folder, and sorry for the lengthy post.

Blue Ion said:
I've tried also a couple of games and they work fairly well.
Perhaps the metallic sound and the half a second delay gets a bit on ones nerves, but its passable (and you have already said its being worked on, so no biggie).
However I encounter some crashes on the menu, specially when navigating through the filesystem to load a game, though it turned out I had an unclean filesystem (I hoped using ext3 with journaling would avoid this type of errors).

How can I run a pnd on the console so that the applications can spout nasty things to the console, like at the very least a segmentation fault or maybe IO error or something like that for the cases like above? pnd_run doesn't print these messages.
This is a problem I have with a couple of games (like hexen or heretic) that I don't know if they actually crashes or they just can't find the data files.

Also, how is it going the z and znx images with mp3 cd tracks from pocketiso? I have Lode Runner and considering the game is just 38 mb and the rest 500 mb are just audio, being able to compress it really frees up space, specially when stacked with the many other games that used cd audio.

This game works perfectly, though with no music.

Not that it matters much for now since I can't make PocketIso to merge the mp3 sounds back to the z file. Which is odd because the audio gets ripped, gets encoded (at a shitty 48kbps) and leaves the files in the audio folder. Only Spyro the dragon worked generating a ZNX file.

Cheers.

PS: Heh, I'll edit before I even submit, turns out a clean filesystem also crashes the emu when trying to access the /media folder, and sorry for the lengthy post.

/media/ works fine for me. As for printing to the console, the text that would be printed to the console is stored somewhere else by pnd_run. Look in the help forum, and you should find mention of it somewhere.

-God Ginrai

Azure said:
EvilDragon said:
So, this build much faster than the previous one? The "beta2" one that I have is noticeably slower (to the level of unplayable) than the first publicly released build for every game I've tried (Final Fantasy 7, Mega Man games, Gran Turismo, etc.).

I believe ED is saying he has another beta build he is testing (not yet released) which sorts a lot of the sound probs. He is not talking about the problematic public beta2...

Exactly. No more metallic sound or delays :)
Just wait until zoddy makes it ready for you. You'll love it :D

EvilDragon said:

Zod is working like a machine on this. FF9 -- YES!

Well, it turned out it is a Segmentation Fault when trying to access the /media folder.
However, I can't reproduce the bug faithfully. It always happens when accesing that folder, when it happens...

It was much worse when my sd card was unclean, (now it isn't). Since it probably is a problem on my side, is there a way to check the internal nand for errors, or triggering a boot time check? Like using fsck, or the file /forcefsck

There are just so many great playstation 1 classics. Being able to have full speed PS1 in the palm of my hand is the ultimate advertisement for this device.

N64 would be ultra nice also, but I won't hold my breath on that one(fullspeed). Although, all the guys working on that one are working double time to it would seem.

Many, many great things happening, and the Pandora hasn't even fully been released yet.

Chris

i got a sneek peek at the latest version and as ED mentioned this version has perfect sound, even in the FMV's. Memcards work again.
Very nice version :)

Back