Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

Is it posible to rip PSX videos and convert them to avi?
Then, a script or an external call to Mplayer would do the trick ( Just a wild theory...I lack programming skills )

At this point adding compatibility and improving FPS in game should be a higher priority. Though if most games use a standardized codec meant for hardware acceleration on the PSX, say an MPEG variant, knowing whether or not this is true would be a start.

vaiovann said:
Hey I just tested FF7 using the 04047 build. Since this is the first build I have personally used I can't say for sure of any marked increase, however as a newcomer I'm generally impressed even with this level of emulation. I've got a question for you ZodTTD, why do FMV sequences run slowly (at least with FF7)? My logic on this is that it isn't using any 3d acceleration at the moment to bog down the emulator, is it due to the constant data fetching from the .iso/.bin etc. If that isn't correct then why so slow? Thank you...

PS: Settings where 280Mhz, no sound output, PSX timing at 30% and RAM tweaks on.
I've always thought what it was because of the Idle loop not detected into the video decoding routine ?

paxl13

Last edited by a moderator:
I happen to know that video decoding is MASSIVELY CPU intensive on ANY platform. Without the GP2x's custom hardware we wouldnt be able to play files with bitrates above 500kbps at MOST on the GP2x even utilising the second core for sound decoding. I really think that video decoding is really pushing the CPU emulation as far as it can go, hence the slowness, SD card access shouldn't be a slowdown except for the buggered up DMA so that the CPU slows down when the SD is accessed, thus making CPU emulation worsened.

Wow! DISCWORLD runs almost Fullspeed!! (but I couldn´t leave the room due to heavy graphical glitches :( )

CPU: 280 Mhz
Psx Clock: 35%
No sound (a drop of 2 fps with sound)

It ranges between 27-31 fps (in-game, at the very beginning)

This looks very promising!! :)

Next test: Incredible Crisis

Just ripped some games, like RidgeRacer, Kulaworld and Megaman! Now there so small - I think, I made it the wrong way last time :rolleyes: ! Now I can test some and maybe add some vids in youtube. Let's hope, I dont have that buggy version, you were talking about, few pages ago ........

see ya
Cheese

What is fullspeed for a playstation? because FF7 runs 25-30fps (270Mhz, CPU 30%, no sound) and it looks like fullspeed...
Is 30FPS fullspeed? or is it 50/60 like on many other systems?

Some games are becoming more and more playable ;)

Legend of Mana NTSC
with psx4all_std_rec_040207_c.gpe

OC @ 240
RAM TWEAK ON
INTERLACE 0
SOUND OFF
13-15 FPS with PSX CORE @ 30%

with psx4all_std_rec_040407.gpe

OC @ 240
RAM TWEAK ON
INTERLACE 0
SOUND OFF
Legend of Mana NTSC
13-18 FPS with PSX CORE @ 30%

conclusion : max speed improved +3 fps in 2 days ;)

Oh great a new release for testing :))

Final Fantasy 9
- intro video works again (without sound, ugly graphical glitches)
and freezes after some time (@300Mhz and @200Mhz with and without RAM timings)
- I can't get ingame because of the freeze :( (with the last release the buttons didnt work properly, i could not light the torch-thingy in the beginning)

Khan said:
Is it posible to rip PSX videos and convert them to avi?
Then, a script or an external call to Mplayer would do the trick ( Just a wild theory...I lack programming skills )
I think PSX video is just a stream of Motion Jpegs (MJPEG), I don't know if the video processor could be made to de-compress it, there aren't any documents and we now access it through a proprietary module, so it doesn't seem likely.

MJPEG? I'm pretty sure the video processor can decode MJPEG... and wikipedia says MJPEG is indeed the PSX FMV format! Wheeeee...

Now we need to figure out how to use the dang video processor... <_<

OK now I've tested some games:

-Contra: OC@240, Ram Tweaks on
won't start! There is a black screen right after the 'load complete' screen
-GTA2: OC@240, Ram Tweaks on, sound enabled
in the menus ~22fps, in game ~10fps
-Ridge Racer: OC@260, Ram Tweaks on, sound enabled
in the menus ~32fps, in game like the other versions: ~7fps
-Bubble Bobble 2: OC@240, Ram Tweaks on, sound enabled
GREAT!! I got my 40fps in game, so this game has great chances to become fullspeed with perfect sound!

The interlace was set to 0. For me, this wasn't such a great improvement since the older version, but maybe I did sth wrong :unsure: ......

stay
cheesey

Hmm is memory card support broken, or is it just me.. On the latest build. I just started testing this out. Using a 2gb card..

yodaofborg said:
Memory cards don't work at all, afaik, save state slot 1 does, but no other slots seem to work for me.

Yeah cause, there were a few games I was testing and they sort of needed a memory card. Spyro which was only getting around 7fps at the menu anyway, and Worms, which the video sequence played really well but it hung when looking for options on the mem card.

You know? Every game that has hung at startup for me might just require a memory card! I remember back in 96' or 97' that some games required a memory card, and if one was not present, it would not load (it gave you an error about one not being present, and ask you to accept this fact). Typical Sony, really :p

[edit]

I do believe that getting as much juice out of games besides those known to work well should be higher on any list Zod might have, because whats the point of having a fully useable emulator that plays like 5 games okish? But I do have to thank Zod for portable FF VII, its something I never thought I would see emulated at all on the gp2x, ok, its nowhere near perfect, but its one game I used to mute and put my own music on anyway ;) and fights might last a little longer than they did, but the puzzle solving bits work really well. Calling up Shiva looks pretty sweet too, I might just do a real short YouTube of that!

Back