Psp Slim Released

Any thoughts? I picked one up, so now I have an old DS Phat, GP2X, and the new PSP. No homebrew on the new psp yet, but who cares? The homebrew scene just doesn't compare to that of the gp2x, at least in my opinion. And by the "scene" I put a great emphasis on the community. :p

But what do you guys think of it? Any one else pick one up?

LegendaryMachine said:
No homebrew on the new psp yet, but who cares? The homebrew scene just doesn't compare to that of the gp2x, at least in my opinion. And by the "scene" I put a great emphasis on the community. :p
:blink:
The PSP community can be rough around the edges, but I've been taken to task here for calling an unfinished and long-abandoned EMU "half-assed" (a perfectly valid evaluation, imo), so the knife cuts both ways... Anyway, if you don't think that running PSX games "compares" to the EMUs on the GP2X, you're nuts! :p Custom firmwares are awesome - the ability to play any PSX Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, the Resident Evils, etc. etc. makes Custom Firmwares a must have to get the most out of your PSP, ime...

All the same, I want one of the new systems (I'm waiting on the white "Star Wars" special edition), but I'm keeping my older modded systems too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yeah, PSX is Epic, as soon as getting that on the new slim without much effort, I'm all for it. The PSX has some great homebrew, I was just talking about the whole little "community." I can't wait for some fullspeed PSX and seeing where they go with n64.

jimid2 said:
LegendaryMachine said:
No homebrew on the new psp yet, but who cares? The homebrew scene just doesn't compare to that of the gp2x, at least in my opinion. And by the "scene" I put a great emphasis on the community. :p
:blink:
The PSP community can be rough around the edges, but I've been taken to task here for calling an unfinished and long-abandoned EMU "half-assed" (a perfectly valid evaluation, imo), so the knife cuts both ways... Anyway, if you don't think that running PSX games "compares" to the EMUs on the GP2X, you're nuts! :p

You assume that everyone wants PSX and wants to fill up an entire memory stick with 2 PSX games ;)

I really don't give a shit about PSX, or N64 either.

jimid2 said:
The PSP community can be rough around the edges, but I've been taken to task here for calling an unfinished and long-abandoned EMU "half-assed"
You should be - it's "half arsed"! *ignores all Americanisations*

Or should that be Americanizations... Or is Americanize the Americanisation of Americanise... hmmm.

Either way, I'm getting one via trade-in. I've been a supporter of the PSP since day-one and will continue to support it. I'm one of those weird people who actually find the library of games quite awesome and enjoy nothing better than sitting around with mates and getting stuck into Killzone Liberation multiplayer. Stellar!

The slim...looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to doing the custom firmware thing with it, too...nothing like a bit of Front Mission 3 Portable.

*gnashes teeth at DS owners for getting a remake of the first Front Mission*

DaveC said:
You assume that everyone wants PSX and wants to fill up an entire memory stick with 2 PSX games ;)

I really don't give a shit about PSX, or N64 either.

No, I assume everyone but YOU wants to fill up an entire memory stick with 2 PSX games... What the f#¢k else are you going to put on it? Your latest Ashley Simpson video? :lol:

And for the record, I've got three PSX games, two entire PSP games, three episodes of Firefly and a half-gig of music on mine... Which means maybe you shouldn't be such a cheap bastard and buy a bigger memory card, or more than one... :p

quartercast said:
jimid2 said:
The PSP community can be rough around the edges, but I've been taken to task here for calling an unfinished and long-abandoned EMU "half-assed"
You should be - it's "half arsed"! *ignores all Americanisations*

Or should that be Americanizations... Or is Americanize the Americanisation of Americanise... hmmm.

In my case, it should be a Colonialization... or a Canadianization... or a Canuckism... :huh:

Pylon_Trooper said:
Either way, I'm getting one via trade-in. I've been a supporter of the PSP since day-one and will continue to support it. I'm one of those weird people who actually find the library of games quite awesome and enjoy nothing better than sitting around with mates and getting stuck into Killzone Liberation multiplayer. Stellar!

I'm right with you there... We've got two PSP Phats in the house now, and more than 100 store-bought UMD games (and a handful of movies) to go with them... The PSP is basically our main home console, even though it doesn't display on the TV (yet)... B)

Custom firmware for PSP Slim released :) -

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=78493

5 days it took to hack the new PSP!! LOL

Oh yea and to the person that said you can only fit 2 PSX games on the card, Get a 4gb card... The average PSX game is 400 - 600mb (so say 500mb) thats about 8 games you can fit on a 4gb card and thats before they are ripped... Rip some music tracks etc and you can greatly reduce the file size... I have a 2mb or so version of Ridge Racer 4 and 20mb version of GTA2..

Anyone know how much Game and Gamestation are giving people for their old PSP against a slim psp?? I want one but if they are only going to give me £50 for my old PSP I would rather keep it..

LOL at the Ashley Simpson comment. That's the secon one i've heard in the last few months. First one was the lead singer of the band paramore saying sorry for sounding like Ashley Simpson because she had a soar throat.

What ever happened to ashley simpson anyway? I know it's off topic (vastly off topic) but I'm just curious. Is she still hiding under some rock after her lip-sync faux pas or what?

jimid2 said:
The PSP community can be rough around the edges, but I've been taken to task here for calling an unfinished and long-abandoned EMU "half-assed" (a perfectly valid evaluation, imo)
Because calling something somebody has worked for a long time on for no pay and then given to you "half-assed" makes you a tit?

Also, hooray for the new PSP being basically the same! Sony seem to be following Nintendo's lead here, except that the DS Lite actually looks different to the regular DS.

I like the TV-Out thing though, that's nice, but frankly, I've never really wanted a PSP. The fact that it's now 30% lighter (gasp) doesn't change that.

Ganepark32 said:
LOL at the Ashley Simpson comment. That's the secon one i've heard in the last few months. First one was the lead singer of the band paramore saying sorry for sounding like Ashley Simpson because she had a soar throat.

What ever happened to ashley simpson anyway? I know it's off topic (vastly off topic) but I'm just curious. Is she still hiding under some rock after her lip-sync faux pas or what?
Ahem, it's Ashlee Simpson.

I'll go back to my corner...

nickspoon said:
I like the TV-Out thing though, that's nice, but frankly, I've never really wanted a PSP. The fact that it's now 30% lighter (gasp) doesn't change that.
I'm always confused at why people are so fervent towards being at either end of the spectrum with the PSP. It's either "yay" or "pfft, I'd never want to be seen dead with one of those things." It's confusing. Especially when the PSP itself, despite whatever people may want to say, is a very hot piece of technology sitting right there in your palm. Sure, it has its faults, but when Nintendo peddle technology such as the DS and the Wii (DS = glorified N64, Wii = couple of Cubes strapped together with a wavey wand) and win everyone over, I'm left confused.

It sure isn't the software, either.

And there's no need to call "fanboy, FANBOY!" towards me, as I know I've a predilection towards the MACHINE, not Sony, and its range of games. They satisfy and the machine has great multiplayer capabilities.

Pylon_Trooper said:
nickspoon said:
I'm always confused at why people are so fervent towards being at either end of the spectrum with the PSP. It's either "yay" or "pfft, I'd never want to be seen dead with one of those things." It's confusing. Especially when the PSP itself, despite whatever people may want to say, is a very hot piece of technology sitting right there in your palm. Sure, it has its faults, but when Nintendo peddle technology such as the DS and the Wii (DS = glorified N64, Wii = couple of Cubes strapped together with a wavey wand) and win everyone over, I'm left confused.

It sure isn't the software, either.

And there's no need to call "fanboy, FANBOY!" towards me, as I know I've a predilection towards the MACHINE, not Sony, and its range of games. They satisfy and the machine has great multiplayer capabilities.

fanboy, FANBOY!

Your post was seemingly intelligent, and I agreed with you, until this line:

Nintendo peddle technology such as the DS and the Wii (DS = glorified N64, Wii = couple of Cubes strapped together with a wavey wand) and win everyone over, I'm left confused.

You lost all credibility and respect from me there.

nickspoon said:
jimid2 said:
The PSP community can be rough around the edges, but I've been taken to task here for calling an unfinished and long-abandoned EMU "half-assed" (a perfectly valid evaluation, imo)
Because calling something somebody has worked for a long time on for no pay and then given to you "half-assed" makes you a tit?
You know, if I work on something for a while, applying my time and talent to it, and then walk away from it when it's incomplete, and someone calls it "half-assed", I'm intelligent enough, mature enough, and man enough to say, "Yep. You're right. I was lazy. I didn't bother finishing it." And then I might ask "Why don't you?" I would not, however, be so audacious as to tell him he has no right to make that observation. So, I don't feel I need some over-sensitive prima donna programmer to tell me I have no right to call a spade a spade, especially when he's not even the guy who wrote the code I'm criticizing in the first place. I'm sick to death of the whole "you didn't pay for it so you have no right to notice its numerous and glaring faults" school of programming. This is especially true if a large community of fans point at an unfinished program as a reason to buy a $200 piece of hardware, making some pretty darned "optimistic" claims about it in the process - honestly, I almost feel obligated to point out it's flaws then, if for no other reason than it might help the next guy make a better buying decision. Does that make me a tit? I don't care; things do cost more than just "money" in this world. Ultimately, I'm interested in the usability, stability and functionality of the software I spend the precious and irrecoverable time of my life acquiring, installing and using.

Okay, so that probably reads a little strong, but I'm tired of tip-toeing around this subject. If I don't bother to finish a job properly, I don't see that should mean I get a free ride just 'cause I'm not charging $$ for it. In my opinion, the bottom line should be that if I can't be bothered finishing the program, I should at least put the source out there, easily and publicly available, so someone else can finish it in my stead...

my 2¢ (dons flame-retardant suit) :ph34r:

Ganepark32 said:
LOL @ Nova. Well, it seems I've been put in my place. Seems someone is a closet Ashlee Simpson fan, eh Nova?

LIES!!! I, uh have never heard of this woman, what are you talking about?

Well ive been a bit fecked up recently and been off work for about 3 months !! so im skint ! but back to work this week so i will probably end up getting one soon and will install the hacked firmware straight away :p The tv out will be good for making videos of psp stuff for youtube.

Back