Should I Upgrade The Firmware To V.2

lubidog

Okay, sorry to post. But I am SO tempted to upgrade my psp...

I have a 1.5 at the moment.

It's just a mad impulse thing. But GP2x will emulate snes sooner or later, and I am so tempted with the web browser on the psp....

I never play pirate games, and the homebrew scene is passing me by, so........

Would just appreciate some one to pull me back from the edge.

Buy a second PSP. That´s what i´m doing, since the downgrader turned out to be a fake. You can buy my old one in the marketplace section and upgrade it. And the Browser is not as good as a PDA one, but still cool when sitting in the starbucks.. :lol:

I wouldn't do it.

The only real selling point is the browser....and in a toss up between homebrew and a browser, it's homebrew everytime...things like changing the clockspeed is vital on alot of games, it just needs to be done.

Although you never play pirated games, playing your backup up games from the MS has considerable advantages (loading, battery ec etc)...not to mention being able to carry more games safely. It is a major advantage for me.

If the whole homebrew thing is passing you by...why do you want a GP32x? Ask yourself. You're proabably gadget mad like me and always want something new...but I'm holding off on the GP32x (see below).

But on the other hand, if you're getting a GP32x, then why would you want homebrew on your PSP? For me, it's about having EVERYTHING on one device. Movies, music, hombrew, games - all in my pocket on a single device. My PSP does that for me.

However, of you still want to upgrade...why not make a little dough in the process? Sell your 1.5 on ebay and buy a new PSP for cheaper....if you can be bothered, it's money you could make.

Food for Thought.

other than java script and a back button, what does the official browser offer?

thinking about it, a back button would be pretty fricking neat.

have you tried the tenchi browser lubidog?

as i did, you could find out that the novelty of psp browsing disappears very soon.

what about the one that comes with wipeout pure?

I say look into the homebrew solution for web browsing before you upgrade, if it seems cool then stick with it, if you think you're going to enjoy the coming homebrew aps then stick with it, if there's some program you;re hoping to se improvement on the stick with it.

On the other hand if you're starting to feel like there might be a game you want to play that might not play on 1.5 and you really want to play it then either the upgrade will be neccesary or you'll have to hope the FW trick app that fools the PSP into thinking it's ugraded works with those games.

Personally I'm gettting sick and tired of being caught up in Sony's war on homebrew and if the next game I buy for it requires me to upgrade I'm just going to go ahead with it. Nothing in the collection of Homebrew really does anything for me and I'm not really digging the SNES emulation right now and by the time it is to a level I feel saticefied with it the GP2X will probably be at the same level and I could have missed out on a new PSP game I really want to play.

As soon as my gp2x comes along, my psp is going from 1.0->2.0 (or I could sell it as someone above posted :D)

I use the PSP browser all of the time, I have wireless at home and at work as well as Uni so I can always check emails and what not. I'm even getting quite good at using the online msn client compatible with the PSP which is useful.

As for homebrew and emulation, I have a PC in front of me chocked full of homebrew and roms yet little immediately appeals to me so I dont feel like I'm missing out.

i have v2 also, and i think its good. I also do not play pirated games, and if i want homebrew i play my GP32, and my GP32 emulates every system i want already so I have no need to also have my PSP for homebrew and emulation.

I guess it really just depends on what you want to do with your PSP. The browser is great, like yesterday, i was on the couch watching football with psp in hand refreshing my fantasy football league stats, instead of getting up all the time to go to my computer room to do it.

Does anyone know if you can stream radio on it, via realplayer?

Cheers, think I might upgrade...

lubidog posted on Sep 19 2005 at 03:30 PM said:
Does anyone know if you can stream radio on it, via realplayer?

Cheers, think I might upgrade...

No, there's no audio streaming, but there's nothing to stop you downloading legit mp3's such as podcasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say there's anything that looks good for me with homebrew at the moment, though I never had a neogeo, snes etc.

The SNES is okay, I suppose, compatability wise now it's fair but I dislike having to crank the PSP all the way up too 333mhz and drop the sound to like 11hz mono.

I never got NeoGeo to work because you have to use CD images with music ripped to MP3 which is too much hassle in my book.

Back