Psp Ghosting Woes :(

What is all this nonsense about a PSP virus? Seriously how the hell would it spread? Through WiFi? How would the virus travel through wifi, jump to the Memory stick, then somehow force the user to run it. Impossible. No Virus exhists, and if someone does make a virus they are a moron and doesn't make any sense to attack the PSP since it is secured enough. The method to run a homebrew on 1.50 is already long enough, so getting the PSP to run a virus is long enough already, and if the person even does run the virus then they deserve it
Hm, i think a virus is a serious threat.

Assume someone writes a homebrew game for the PSP. It´s very nice so everybody keeps it on his MemStick and plays it occasionally. But every time the software is run, it checks the date and someday, when the time has come, it erases the PSP´s firmware. 10.000 PSP´s get unusable this way.

A tremendous blast for Sony... they would choke in RMA´ed PSPs.

Actually a similar thing could happen to the GP32, but since it hasn´t a clock (actually it has, but gets reset all the time) the hack would be discovered almost instantly by the poor devils that run that prog first.

Also noone would want to do this, but sure a lot of hackers would like to deliver a serious blow to Sony, plus a big scene such as the PSP one usually attracts a lot of morons.

So i think yes, the threat of a PSP virus exists if the hacker gets users to run his code on their PSPs (by implementing it into other apps etc.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is all this nonsense about a PSP virus? Seriously how the hell would it spread? Through WiFi? How would the virus travel through wifi, jump to the Memory stick, then somehow force the user to run it. Impossible. No Virus exhists, and if someone does make a virus they are a moron and doesn't make any sense to attack the PSP since it is secured enough. The method to run a homebrew on 1.50 is already long enough, so getting the PSP to run a virus is long enough already, and if the person even does run the virus then they deserve it
Hm, i think a virus is a serious threat.

Assume someone writes a homebrew game for the PSP. It´s very nice so everybody keeps it on his MemStick and plays it occasionally. But every time the software is run, it checks the date and someday, when the time has come, it erases the PSP´s firmware. 10.000 PSP´s get unusable this way.
But surely you would then have to run it again for it to erase the firmware, so the first hundred or so people who ran it at that time would be screwed, but word would get out and you'd just delete it before running it again.

Nobody's gonna bother making a PSP virus, hell, no one bothered making a Mac virus, and they've got far more users.

The trick is to not erase the firmware when the app is run the first time, but implement a timer that triggers the ersion of the firmware after a certain date has passed. Of course it has to be run AFTER that date, but at this point the app might be very widespread, many people would run it occasionally, and at once it becomes dangerous. Maybe they would need a day or two to pinpoint the reason for all the PSP failures. Much damage could be done in this time...

I´m not saying it´s likely, but still could happen.

i always wondered if a firmware flasher could be disguised and ran on the GP32, like OMG FULL SPEED SNES EMU, DOWNLOAD NOW and it runs and reflashes the fw to nothingness.

That's a very scary thought. Thing is, I don't think that Sony would do anything about it if such a thing were to happen. They would just say, "We told you to update..." and be done with it. And I don't think it would be a blow to Sony at all. In fact, those people who had their PSP fried would probably go out an buy another... at least, I certainly would (provided it could not be fixed, of course).

Heh, and Gamepark.. I'm sure they'd be a big help if something like that were to happen to the GP.

Some games look fantastic, but some do look pretty bad. The ghosting occurs the worst when there's a lot of alternating very dark then light colors.

I noticed it while playing Gradius on the PCE emu.

Bright colorful games look great, though I haven't tried any Sonic games yet... maybe the fact that they move so rapidly makes them blur worse.

Most PSP games look fine but a couple of the darker ones like Twisted Metal, Untold Legends, and Metal Gear do ghost pretty bad.
Doesnt that mean the screen isnt refreshing quick enough then to compensate for this?

It is related to how fast the liquid crystals can react. On the PSP they are slow. These crystals actually align themselves in a certain way when current is applied and block the backlight. Black is fully energized (blocks all light) , white is not energized (blocks no light). The reason that darker and more saturated colors smear more is because they are twisted to the maximum positions. It takes the most time for them to go back to the normal positions again. The longer it takes to go back, the slower the response time and the more tendency to smear.

I'm tired of everybody complaining about screen sizes. How old are all of you that complain the DS is too small and Gizmondo has a small screen? Are any of you old enough to have played on a regular Gameboy Screen? Or remember that the Lynx and GameGear screens were huge? Now you have a massive 4" + psp screen and everything is too small. Get over it. There's nothing wrong with the size of the DS screen, GBA screen, GP32 screen, Gizmondo screen and while i'm at it, the N-gage screen, even the Neo Geo pocket has a nice screen as well and if any of you need to be reminded of what the screens used to be, go pick up a Turbo Express or original Gameboy.

Portable gaming is made to be, well, portable. Pretty soon portable game systems are going to have 15" screens and all that crap, oh wait, we already have those, they're called Lap top computers.

THANK YOU!!!!

God I've been saying this for MONTHS!!! ESPECIALLY on every damn Gizmondo thread that pops up. Finally someone else who feels the same as me.

Converseley, to say Twisted Metal wasn't a dark game... you are nuts. Well okay no really though you are right there are certain levels... some of the levels are bright and easy to see. I had the worst time on the Monaco level, trying to play in my moderately lit office... I had trouble seeing where the track ended and the water began, and died several times from running off into the water. It was this level alone that made me finally decide to sell that game.

I will say, that what blurring there is on the PSP games that have it, usually is not a problem. The only games where it really bothered me were Metal Gear Acid (doesn't interfere with gameplay but is VERY obvious when you're rotating the camera around) and Untold Legends (DEFINATELY interefered with gameplay, as dark colored monsters attack you in dark colored dungeons and you're running around like crazy and the whole thing just becomes a blurry murky mess), and of course, Twisted Metal. Other games like Ridge Racer, actually seem to benefit a little from it... everyone thought it was an intentional effect when I showed it to them.

But on the emu's on some predominantly dark games, like outer space sh'mups with a black background, and that they do move pretty rapidly, the blurring is much more noticeable, and can interfere with gameplay a little, for instance, if an enemies shot is moving rapidly.

i'd have to say then my backlight is probably too bright, but the game looks great. Monoco is not dark at all, for me, the only dark levels are the Tokyo levels and even those are not that hard to see.

in case anyone still doesn't think the psp has ghosting problems then play the minigame Racer X in RTidge Racer and look at the edges of the pink walls.. very apperent there :lol:

also THUG2 Remix has problems in a few of the levels, if you look into the distance you fell a little sick with all thew blurring... :huh: not much of a prblem though and really only happens on a few of the levels at night

I'm tired of everybody complaining about screen sizes. How old are all of you that complain the DS is too small and Gizmondo has a small screen? [...]

Portable gaming is made to be, well, portable. Pretty soon portable game systems are going to have 15" screens and all that crap, oh wait, we already have those, they're called Lap top computers.
I think you´re out of luck, then. Just look at this:

proto_1_large.jpg

proto_3_large.jpg

Size is the horror...
But Oh, it runs Halo!!!
The Rogue "Handheld"

Attachments

• proto_1_large.jpg
    proto_1_large.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 119
  • proto_3_large.jpg
    proto_3_large.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 116
Rogues are so cool. Why get a laptop when you can get a laptop that has been stuck in a hideous plastic case with the screen unprotected and no keyboard? I mean come on, IT HAS A ROLLERBALL!

Back