Sonic games rant

Yeah it was really good, I thought. Some of it was really crazy and hooky but overall it made for a great experience. I never did much with the VMU because it just destroyed batteries and now I don't play the Dreamcast as much as I did when it was new. However I saw this the other day and should i get a wild hair and get back into the thick of things I am totally going to make one of these.

http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Powered-VMU-hack/ B)

That's pretty cool, if you do it let us know, the VMU was woefully underused, I have some emulator discs for the DC and the Gens logo shows up in the screen, I thought that was nice, but hardly anything used it as a standalone hand henld.

If any of my VMUs die it's becoming an ipod, I have seen a couple of hacks and they look pretty smart :)

I was just talking to a good friend a few days ago about Sonic, and for me, he just hasn't held up well against the test of time.

The series really just hasn't moved much beyond what it was originally IMO. I enjoyed Sonic 1,2, and 3 back on the Genesis, but I never owned them personally. I played them at a freinds house, and although I found them enjoyable, I never saw the need to spend money on them. Outside of a few hidden corners, and nooks, it just didn't give me the feelings of discovery that Mario games do.

Every year or two, a new games comes out in the series that is supposed to jump start the franchise, and every new game is just more of the same. Mario is mainly about running and jumping the same way Sonic is, but Nintendo just makes it fresh with each new game.

I just got Super Mario 3D land yesterday, and although you can say it has some of the best parts from many Mario games thrown in, it is just very new, and very FUN! I just downloaded the new Sonic Generations demo on the 360 a few weeks ago, and I'm like, WTF? This is the same as the last Sonic I played a few years ago. Maybe the game gets deeper at some point, but every Sonic game is just OK to me at this point. The new games look GREAT, and play fine, but they just seem to be fancy versions of 20+ year old games, and sadly for Sonic, his games just weren't that deep to begin with.

Sonic really just appeals to a very dedicated fan base at this point, as I don't know anyone who has bought a game in years. The standard reviews of the last 20+ years shows that. Sega will never have a super high rating(across the board worldwide) for any sonic game until they do more than this running, zipping and loop de loop SHIT! It is just very boring, and not really fun at this point!

Chris

Sonic really just appeals to a very dedicated fan base at this point, as I don't know anyone who has bought a game in years. The standard reviews of the last 20+ years shows that. Sega will never have a super high rating(across the board worldwide) for any sonic game until they do more than this running, zipping and loop de loop SHIT! It is just very boring, and not really fun at this point!

Have you ever played Shadow the Hedgehog (for 6th gen consoles like the Gamecube)? I think it feels very fresh, thanks to the addition of guns and alternative courses to completing the game, but it was oddly panned by critical reviewers on the basis of it being different (having guns) and being mature (guns again, and swearing). Anyway, definitely worth checking out whether you like Sonic games or not.

Unlike mario, sonics 3D games never improved on the run and jump formula, Mario 64 I loved, and Mario Galaxy, Sonic adventure is often cited as the last decent sonic game, and after that the community pretty much split between modern and classic sonic, SEGA tried to please both parties with Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Rush, Sonic 4, but nothing really worked, that's why they did Sonic generations, to split modern and classic sonic, that is a problem Mario has never had to deal with and is why I much prefer the modern Mario games over modern Sonic.

I just prefer Sonic over Mario in the early days, I prefer the levels and the way it plays, and with Shadow, it got slated because they gave a sonic character a gun, if it was say, a brand new character or just completely disconnected from sonic it would have faired much better I feel, it's like giving Luigi an assault rifle, it could be pretty good but just doesn't fit in with the style of the games.

I also don't like the 3D Sonic Games. I played Sonic Adventure 1+2 on the DC but it never was a real Sonic Feeling. But I find all MegaDrive 2DSonicGames great and I also like the retro look of "Sonic 4" but I have not played it yet. It seems to be a better one of the new Sonic Games. And I'm quite exited about Sonic Generations from what I've seen so far. :)

and with Shadow, it got slated because they gave a sonic character a gun, if it was say, a brand new character or just completely disconnected from sonic it would have faired much better I feel, it's like giving Luigi an assault rifle, it could be pretty good but just doesn't fit in with the style of the games.

Well, the problem with that analogy is Luigi is a definite hero and Mario's partner. Shadow is an antihero. Not to mention, the game makes it pretty clear that the heroes would never use a gun (Sonic says he would "never be caught dead using one of those things", Knuckles says he'd rather stick to using his fists).

Also, Shadow the Hedgehog has a much darker atmosphere than most Sonic games, so the guns do fit in the context of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonic 4 didn't grab me as much as I hoped, and Sonic Generations actually does a pretty good job of taking the best of modern and classic sonic and putting them together, I felt like the levels became less fun as I went on though (well, the last 4 levels being from Sonic heroes, Sonic 2006, Sonic unleashed and Sonic colours), but overall I really enjoyed it.

As for the Luigi analogy I couldn't really think of the an equivalent to Shadow, but even so, I felt that it felt odd adding guns and motorcycles to any character in series, an evidently so did the reviewers. That doesn't make it a bad game it was just out of place.

Have you ever played Shadow the Hedgehog (for 6th gen consoles like the Gamecube)? I think it feels very fresh, thanks to the addition of guns and alternative courses to completing the game, but it was oddly panned by critical reviewers on the basis of it being different (having guns) and being mature (guns again, and swearing). Anyway, definitely worth checking out whether you like Sonic games or not.
No, I have never tried this one, but maybe I'll give it a shot at some point.

I did actually enjoy Sonic Chronicles on the DS from a few years back. It was trying to be a Mario RPG/Mario&Luigi style game, but at least is was something new. Bioware didn't nail it, but it was a good first effort, and showed a lot of promise as a new franchise. I never finished it, but I played it more than any other Sonic title since Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast.

Chris

I don't mean to sound like a contrarian but I sold my copy of Shadow the Hedgehog back in about 2 weeks of owning it. I dont remember much about it but it seemed really dry to me. It was a departure from other 3d sonic games for sure but was in my mind a fresh example that you cant teach an old hedgehog new tricks.

It certainly was darker then the other sonic games and yep you got a gun and could drive a truck in some parts but it was terrible compared to other games with the same options. I would rather play my 500th hour of Halo 1 then play my 3rd hour of shadow the hedgehog.

I guess im really stoked some people enjoyed this game in a way, but it seems we have pretty different filters in which to evaluate the quality of a game.

I dont think i would ever recommend that game to anyone but now maybe I will, there might be more people who actually dig it. I think the negative scores are well deserved but to each his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back