Psp Ghosting Woes :(

junker

whew! playing some of the emulators really put this issue back in my face, especially the Master System emulator with sonic 1.
maaaan, is there smearing or what!! you wanna see the worst ghosting/smearing? go play sonic 1(gamegear or sms) in the little special stages. i've never seen anything like it before

Yeah, I can't understand why every always says "The screen is beautiful". While yeah, it's big, it's terrible quality. I literally couldn't play Twisted Metal Black because it was so smeary. It's very apparent on that game because its very dark except the cars.

i have noticed no ghosting problems,even with fast games like wipeout.wich games on emus are ghosted for you?i'd like to try and see

Some games look fantastic, but some do look pretty bad. The ghosting occurs the worst when there's a lot of alternating very dark then light colors.

I noticed it while playing Gradius on the PCE emu.

Bright colorful games look great, though I haven't tried any Sonic games yet... maybe the fact that they move so rapidly makes them blur worse.

Most PSP games look fine but a couple of the darker ones like Twisted Metal, Untold Legends, and Metal Gear do ghost pretty bad.

Some games look fantastic, but some do look pretty bad. The ghosting occurs the worst when there's a lot of alternating very dark then light colors.

I noticed it while playing Gradius on the PCE emu.

Bright colorful games look great, though I haven't tried any Sonic games yet... maybe the fact that they move so rapidly makes them blur worse.

Most PSP games look fine but a couple of the darker ones like Twisted Metal, Untold Legends, and Metal Gear do ghost pretty bad.
Doesnt that mean the screen isnt refreshing quick enough then to compensate for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know why, maybe I'm just not bothered to the extent of others, but ghosting has never been a problem for me.

I do notice it a little in some of the levels in THUG2

EDIT: I read on sony's psp boards that firmware 1.52 changes the screen refresh rate... do you think it'll fix the ghosting

look here
at the reply #6

edit again: never mind.. just read the rest of the thread

"1) Future games will required the system to be up to date

2) You get more security for PSP ( This not only includes homebrew, but also keeping ur psp safe from viruses that can damage psp operating system, such as erasing the system Bios. Many people have had this prob where their psp wont turn on and work at all. So when u download stuff on psp through the pc, with the security update ur psp is update)

3) For those who already installed 1.51, there is no need to wait for homebrew coz ur system is already been secured. Plus we got psp for 128 bits games, not 8 bits games of gameboy.

Thats all i can think of rightnow. If im missing anything why u need 2 update, feel free to add"

typical idiot sony fan. how the f$@! are you going to get infected by a virus??

i get ghosting with everything, and especially with videos. darker scenes is where i see it the most.

Okay I need to say this, and I'm sorry if I offend anyone here...

I just want to say, reading threads like the one linked to here about the PSP, really makes me thankful to be part of THIS community. Why? Well asides from the fact that we rarely get threads that end up being so retarded as that one, there's one simple fact that that thread has pointed out.

People here do sure type good english! Seems the most of us are at least a decently educated bunch.

I can't STAND reading threads just filled with grammatical and spelling errors... all these 'street' guys mispelling words, or talking in retarded internet slang, either on purpose or simply because they don't know how to fricking write english properly.

Now, just to assure this doesn't offend anyone, I'm fully aware that we have some members here who are not native to primarily english speaking countries, so sometimes we do get posts that have bad grammar or misspelled words, but you can TELL that it's someone who didn't learn english as a first language, and I appreciate that they try as hard as they can. But those guys on that PSP thread... you can tell... they just don't care enough to learn to speak and write properly.

Almost offends me just to read it.

Examples of crap that just pisses me off to read:

"keeping ur psp safe"
"homebrew coz ur system"
"why u need 2 update"

This whole damn paragraph "if pepople want to play so much gameboy games then why dont they get a freakin gameboy. The world is getting advance but people on this forum are still decades behind........ wanna play homebrew gameboy games on psp...lol........ sony doesn't know theie customers are 8 bits games fan..i think they should stop makin 128 bits games and release gameboy games on psp "

And it just goes on and on.

Sorry guys but it just pissed me off I had to rant for a bit.... anyways, I'm just VERY glad that our forum and the people here are not like this for the most part. This place really does rock and I'm glad to have found it and to be a part of it.

Back to the topic... that sucks the guy got my hopes up about the refresh rate fix with 1.52. If it fixed the blurring, I think I'd consider chucking homebrew running out the window just to get rid of that problem. Well thankfully it was BS and I don't have to make that decision :)

i second that :) i also hate all that cheap/crappy internet lingo and intentional mispellings.
oh yeah, i've actually read through that thread and came across this cool post about all the previous false comments on the 1.52 firmware:

You guys are all very very very Ignornant... The PSP had the ability to play games at 333 MHZ from the start, theres just a set of guidelines the developers have to follow, if they want the game to run at 333 Mhz then it has to have X amount of battery life. Why is it that I can run a SNES Emulator at 333 MHZ without an update from Sony? Maybe because the option has been there the WHOLE time, and its the developers that decide and not Sony. There was never a lock on CPU speed directly on the PSP, it was in the games. Oh and all that Nonsense about better refresh rates, are you kidding me? Quit spreading this propaganda about upgrading, why upgrade when nothing is offered except "Security Fixes." I laugh in you face, HA HA HA, for you all that have upgraded and don't get a chance to add over 7500 titles that you could have played on your PSP.

What is all this nonsense about a PSP virus? Seriously how the hell would it spread? Through WiFi? How would the virus travel through wifi, jump to the Memory stick, then somehow force the user to run it. Impossible. No Virus exhists, and if someone does make a virus they are a moron and doesn't make any sense to attack the PSP since it is secured enough. The method to run a homebrew on 1.50 is already long enough, so getting the PSP to run a virus is long enough already, and if the person even does run the virus then they deserve it, they also have another thing coming, another laugh to their face HA HA HA. Oh and who was that guy that said 333 GHZ? Are you kidding me? We don't even have 4 GHZ processors for PCs yet (not counting overclocked ones) and you say we can get 333 GHZ from an upgrade? Wow thats fantastic, I wonder if I can download a firmware upgrade for my computer to make it 50 THZ, Oh wait, thats not logical... *Gives a slap to the head to the person that said 333 GHZ*

GuilmoX wrote:

4. UMD Music can be selected from the X Menu "Music" the UMD Icon will show up if there are any Music files on your PSP game....

5. The update reconfigures the PSP's Motherboard... (maximum strength is 333 GHRZ or something near that number...)

6. Stop hackers from wirelessly connecting to your PSP.. (I don't know why but it is however part of the equation)

7. Be able to securely "Game share" with others if the option is given.

8. More WiFi Functionality.

9. PSP Patches (For movies and such...)

10. Screen refresh rate changes.

4.The only thing it adds is UMD Music option.
5.(sarcasm) Haha yes it does make it 333 GHZ, so strong that it has it's own gravitational field(sarcasm)
6. Yes stop those hackers, they will be able to steal my game saves. They will also connect to me PSP, and be able to play against me in a game of Ridge Racer. (sarcasm) Im SOOO scared they might beat me(sarcasm)
7. Wow SECURE game sharing? Whats the difference between secured and unsecured? NOTHING
8. More Wi-Fi functionality? Whats added? NOTHING
9. PSP patches for movies? What for? Nothing is wrong with them. Are you saying Region-Coding is gone? Nope NOTHING
10. Nope, if it was that significant they wouldnt have gone up from 1.51 to 1.52. a .01 increase is unsignificant. You kidding me? If this was true it'd be about 1.60. But its not.

My advice to all of you is to not update, there is not need. Once Sony actually releases a qualified update that is worth updating to Ie: Theme support, Web browser, VoIP, Instant Messenger. Then go for it, but otherwise don't. "If it aint broken, then don't fix it"

u r 2 rite.

Well, that was blindingly obviously coming.

On a serious note, I like PSPHacker for up to date PSP news but the place is full of Spazzes. It's unbelievable some of the comments made.

on topic. i have twisted Metal head on. The game is not dark. only like 3 levels are dark but even then everything is very easy to see and as for ghosting, I've never encountered anything like that on my PSP, so maybe my screen is better quality, don't know, haven't tried any emulators yet.

@Mr Twit, I love it that you love your DS, but the screen on the PSP is wonderful! Some games are a little dark, but the blurring has never bothered me, and I've played through a lot of the line up games.

I am ready to love my DS, once the games come. But the PSP screen was breathtaking the first time I saw it, and still impresses. The DS screen is just that, a screen. or two!

the DS screens are nice, i'm not one to be picky about the size of the screen but until i got my psp, it was the nicest backlit screen i've seen. I'm tired of everybody complaining about screen sizes. How old are all of you that complain the DS is too small and Gizmondo has a small screen? Are any of you old enough to have played on a regular Gameboy Screen? Or remember that the Lynx and GameGear screens were huge? Now you have a massive 4" + psp screen and everything is too small. Get over it. There's nothing wrong with the size of the DS screen, GBA screen, GP32 screen, Gizmondo screen and while i'm at it, the N-gage screen, even the Neo Geo pocket has a nice screen as well and if any of you need to be reminded of what the screens used to be, go pick up a Turbo Express or original Gameboy.

Portable gaming is made to be, well, portable. Pretty soon portable game systems are going to have 15" screens and all that crap, oh wait, we already have those, they're called Lap top computers.

Back