Ghosting issues..

I know this has been asked before (but not fully answered, in my opinion) but how prevalent is the ghosting across the various emulators? i am reading quite a few disturbing reviews/comments regarding this. What causes it, poor emulator optimisation or is it a more fundamental problem with the screen i appreciate that for some this isn't too major an issue, but for me it is & i will be cancelling my order if the problem is endemic.

This is not an attempt to troll, i simply would like a bit more info on this issue before i decide to wait or cancel (Day 1 pre-order)

I heard it's noticeable (sometimes), but not a deal-breaker. Not as bad as that of the PSP.

Coming from the point of view of a !long time! Pandora owner. The ghosting is 'noticeable' but not troublesome and can be alleviated somewhat with a gamma correction tweak. It is only noticeable when a pixel is shifting from very bright to very dark. It does not "smear", and it's not even close to as bad as a PSP's screen. Not even close! This is an issue with any LCD screen. In my opinion the LCD on the Pandora is actually better than most. If you're spoiled by Amoled LCD screens or are particularly sensitive to ghosting then it may be an issue. If you're like me, after a few moments of playing you'll barely notice it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this has been asked before (but not fully answered, in my opinion) but how prevalent is the ghosting across the various emulators? i am reading quite a few disturbing reviews/comments regarding this. What causes it, poor emulator optimisation or is it a more fundamental problem with the screen i appreciate that for some this isn't too major an issue, but for me it is & i will be cancelling my order if the problem is endemic.

This is not an attempt to troll, i simply would like a bit more info on this issue before i decide to wait or cancel (Day 1 pre-order)
Due to some anecdotes I've heard, I'm beginning to think that perhaps there are also variations between some individual screens, as well as in individual perceptions.

That said, my personal experience (I've unfortunately had three Pandoras, since my first two had lethal nub-death, back when nub-death was still a problem) is that it's not really any different to the screens used on the Nintendo DS Lite and DSi, or the current Lenovo ThinkPads (and other devices that use LCDs of similar quality to these, which in my experience is quite a number) - there is a *teeny* bit, but it's no different to most devices. It's not horrendous, and it's not really any different to some CRT displays. I personally use the "TV"-style gamma setting that mindlord mentioned, and I think it looks great.

Or, to put it more succinctly, it's no different to most other LCDs, and I just don't notice it. :p And that is coming from someone who plays a lot of Mega Man games - the NES games in particular have black outlines on the characters, and there is no noticeable issue with this against lighter colours.

From what I've seen in video's of the Pandora all I can say is this. I had a PSP-1000 and the ghosting on that screen may have been the worst I ever saw on an LCD screen. I still had tons of enjoyment with that device. The Pandora in videos doesn't appear to exhibit nearly any real ghosting except for the recent video where Metroid had white level outlines on a dark background and you could see the white lag a little. Normal color movements do not appear to have any issues, while on the PSP, ANYTHING that moved quickly smeared and caused the effect. I feel confident this screen will be fine except in those fringe cases.

I haven't noticed any ghosting, but I haven't been looking for it either. In general I'm very impressed with the screen.

Just like I'm very impressed with your name :p

I have only noticed lcd ghosting one time on the Pandora, and it was so minor it didn't bother me a bit.

And this coming from a guy who won't play a PSP because of the ghosting.

And a guy who got rid of all his LCD T.V's in the house and replaced them with Plasma's because of the ghosting.

So yea I'm a bit of a "ghosting" aficionado exorcist. LOL

Coming from the point of view of a !long time! Pandora owner. The ghosting is 'noticeable' but not troublesome and can be alleviated somewhat with a gamma correction tweak. It is only noticeable when a pixel is shifting from very bright to very dark. It does not "smear", and it's not even close to as bad as a PSP's screen. Not even close! This is an issue with any LCD screen. In my opinion the LCD on the Pandora is actually better than most. If you're spoiled by Amoled LCD screens or are particularly sensitive to ghosting then it may be an issue. If you're like me, after a few moments of playing you'll barely notice it at all.
I'm very glad to hear that since I can't stand to play a lot of older games on my PSP thanks to it's ghosting curse. The only thing that tops hearing that though is that my Pandora just shipped. :D

:lol: -> Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've not had my Pandora long so I haven't tried that much yet but I haven't had a problem with MAME and Mupen64, but I find it really bad on the SNES emu. And I don't consider myself overly picky when it comes to ghosting. Adding the TV Gamma setting helps I think. But it's definately still there for me.

It's also funny that when someone did a Youtube vid highlighting the ghosting they used Metroid on the SNES to illustrate it. I wouldn't count this as a definative conclusion, but I would say the SNES emulation is particualarly susceptable.

^ Snes9x4D4P is probably my most-used emulator, and I have to admit that I haven't noticed that at all... :p

I used to have an Archos media player which used the same screen they use on the Pandora. While it is noticeable if you're watching for it, it never bothered me at all. It's a great looking screen. But yeah, sadly, it's the screen hardware itself and not software. :\

It's the nature of these high res LCD screens. Even the iPhone4 does it on big contrasts between colours and if Apple can't fully eliminate it...

It just reminds me of proper CRT televisions anyway - it's certainly a great deal better than some large LCD TVs I've seen.

now my question is, if ghosting is present in pandora screen, and youre using the tvout cable to a plasma/crt tv, will ghosting show in tv?

OK, so firstly thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

It seems the consensus is that it definately exists, how much of an "issue" it is depends on the user, my first instinct is to cancel, but having said that after waiting this long i would feel pretty dumb (i am very fussy.. but am i really THAT fussy!) i currently run all my emu on an O/C Asus Eee 1215N and don't notice any issues with ghosting, however if it does exist on that too (and my friend insists that it does) then perhaps my gaming goggles have seen better days & on the Pandora's smaller screen it will be even less noticable.

One other quick question if i may, could shaders in the various emulators be used to minimise the effect or user defined custom screen settings (gamma etc) for each emulator.

Thanks for listening.

now my question is, if ghosting is present in pandora screen, and youre using the tvout cable to a plasma/crt tv, will ghosting show in tv?

Shouldn't. The ghosting is due to the Pandora's screen, not the internal video hardware.

What? N-no... the ghosting on the Pandora is caused by the screen itself. If the Plasma or CRT has ghosting problems, that's not the fault of the Pandora.

i currently run all my emu on an O/C Asus Eee 1215N and don't notice any issues with ghosting, however if it does exist on that too (and my friend insists that it does) than perhaps my gaming goggles have seen better days & on the Pandora's smaller screen it will be even less noticable.
Now that's useful to know. My personal experience of the screens used by Asus in the EeePC line is that they're either of similar quality to, or in the case of the earlier models not as good as, the one in the Pandora. (The first EeePC had a really horrible screen, now that I look back on it...)

It's the nature of these high res LCD screens. Even the iPhone4 does it on big contrasts between colours and if Apple can't fully eliminate it...
It would be nice if there was a simple option in the gamma editor (LCD settings) to simply decrease the contrast (while keeping other colour gamma settings the same). I would happily trade high contrast for less ghosting.

Back