Ghosting issues..

The only time I have ever seen ghosting is when XFCE starts up, and there's the high-contrast black and white temporary mouse pointer on a grey background - move the mouse quickly and it ghosts. After that, I have never seen any ghosting - the display is lovely.

D.

personally i find it very bad, very noticeable on ghouls and ghosts using mame and castlevania on the snes. Its a shame because the machine is amazing but the ghosting really puts me off fully enjoying it. Cant wait for the tv out cable.

I posted on the other forum but I have seen bad ghosting when playing 1942 on Mame4All. When the plains flyover the solid blue ocean, you can really see the ghosting with the plane movements and bullets...

Has anyone else noticed this with 1942 in particular ?

David...

I posted on the other forum but I have seen bad ghosting when playing 1942 on Mame4All. When the plains flyover the solid blue ocean, you can really see the ghosting with the plane movements and bullets...

David...

Hi i just checked 1942 on my system with default settings the ghosting is there but barely noticeable, with a custom gamma setting you can pretty much eliminate it. My main issues is with games that make the background blur when you scroll. i.e. robocop, ghouls and ghosts, castlevania

Last edited by a moderator:

David...

Hi i just checked 1942 on my system with default settings the ghosting is there but barely noticeable, with a custom gamma setting you can pretty much eliminate it. My main issues is with games that make the background blur when you scroll. i.e. robocop, ghouls and ghosts, castlevania

I get a small amount of black edging under the bullets on 1942, but that's all - hardly worth bothering about. Scrolling games have no ghosting at all, even fast paced ones like the Sonic series.

D.

The people who don't notice the ghosting probably own thin LCD screens on their home computers that ghost as well (rather than CRTs), so they don't notice it any more.

It's not awful, but there is indeed ghosting, especially in high-contrast games. I really do think that if there was less contrast, ghosting would diminish.

The people who don't notice the ghosting probably own thin LCD screens on their home computers that ghost as well (rather than CRTs), so they don't notice it any more.

I run my desktop on a 21" CRT monitor. My laptop has an LCD, yes.

It's not awful, but there is indeed ghosting, especially in high-contrast games. I really do think that if there was less contrast, ghosting would diminish.

Meh, can't say it's a deal-breaker for me - but if the OP is sensitive to ghosting, he's probably better off getting a Wiz, or another dual-analog-with-keyboard handheld which doesn't have the ghosting so bad.

D.

Maybe I am misunderstanding Ghosting.. What is happening is a residual trace of the bluets and plains when they scroll. Slight trace but enough to make it noticeable.. It is not sharp. There is a definite blur happening but also a trace residual.

David...

To me ghosting is very obvious on Pandora, although not to the point where it especially bothers me. It's nowhere near as bad as PSP-1000 but it's worse than my GP2X's. Of course, I can also easily notice the ghosting on my TV which has a 5ms response rate (and can see Pandora ghosts worse than this, as well it should according to specs) so I'm probably pretty sensitive to it. But PSP-1000 was actually the first handheld where I really noticed anything. I've never noticed it on my computer LCD which is a 22" Acer X223w that also claims 5ms, so I dunno.

EDIT: TV ghosts less when I change some settings, apparently >_>

I seriously think there's some variation between individual samples, too. :p

I seriously think there's some variation between individual samples, too. :p

Always is going to be at least a little, such is the nature of electronics. The datasheet gives you the worst case, IIRC it's 30ms black to black, which should give you the 15ms you need for "real" 60Hz.

My guess is there's more variation between how individuals perceive this sort of thing. I had someone watching my TV where it was ghosting and it was plain as day to me but they couldn't even see it.

^ Agreed. I'm quite sensitive to it, myself, but I would still have to say that my own Pandora isn't bad with it.

I get huge ghosting! Massive! Sometimes a second or two of blur!

The fact that it's -10 degrees out may have something to do with that, though ;)

I have yet noticed any ghosting on mine.. I even played some of the games mentioned above.. I don't see it.

Before the PSP-1000 came out I had never even heard the term ghosting. This was to me the most apparent case of ghosting I have ever seen on an LCD screen. I never had an early TV or PC monitor though, so to me it was the most distracting thing I had ever seen. However, despite this the PSP's visuals were amazing to me so I got over it quick. My TV is the cheapest Visio on the market as of a year ago and I have no issues with it. Which once again, makes the PSP the worst case for me. Yet I still was able to enjoy that device.

Since people say they see it in the videos for the Pandora I will have to concede it exists, but clearly not as bad as the PSP, which had Sonic nearly looking like a hedgehog speeding through green mush. I think of Ghosting as 3 different aspects which can vary, the actual Ghosting, the amount of what I call Contrasting and the Overall Blur. It would seem the PSP was Ghosting with heavy blur and contrasting. My Laptop screen has a bit of contrasting and my TV seems fine all the way around (lucky I guess) and it looks like the Pandora will suffer more Contrasting than blur. So I'm happy enough with that

Hope that makes sense, very little of what I think does :p .

I think the Sega Nomad had the worst ghosting of any screen to date. It kinda makes me wonder if that screen has gotten worse over time because I play one now and I'm like 'Holy crap, need to stop to know what is going on'. I had never heard the term ghosting until I heard it applied to the PSP though. I think the PSP cost so much that a lot more people pointed it out.

Is this something that a little holy water, a young priest and and old priest could cure?

Seriously though, I can see it, but only when I really look for it. I can ignore it being a long-time PSP user. The screen is very nice, and I wouldn't expect it to be the world's most premium screen with a 1 nanosecond response time.

I think the Sega Nomad had the worst ghosting of any screen to date. It kinda makes me wonder if that screen has gotten worse over time because I play one now and I'm like 'Holy crap, need to stop to know what is going on'. I had never heard the term ghosting until I heard it applied to the PSP though. I think the PSP cost so much that a lot more people pointed it out.

Yes I bought a Nomad when they first came out and yes that screen does have ghosting bad, It was still a far better screen the the Game Gear. It was still good enough to play around.. But it did get to me at times.

Yes I bought a Nomad when they first came out and yes that screen does have ghosting bad, It was still a far better screen the the Game Gear. It was still good enough to play around.. But it did get to me at times.
I had both and I guess I just never noticed them as a kid. I played each more than any other 2 systems combined and never really noticed it. I did notice it on the original Game Boy, one of the main reason I never got into Nintendo handhelds when I was a kid.

True on the Nomad, but at that time I used to think the game was too fast... But I too didn't hear the term till the PSP.

Edit: @ second.exodous: Wow you are so right! Now that I think about it Contra on the Gameboy also had ghosting, but I think the grayscale and my youth didn't really care about it much...

Back