Ghosting issues..

I think the Sega Nomad had the worst ghosting of any screen to date. It kinda makes me wonder if that screen has gotten worse over time because I play one now and I'm like 'Holy crap, need to stop to know what is going on'. I had never heard the term ghosting until I heard it applied to the PSP though. I think the PSP cost so much that a lot more people pointed it out.

Yes I bought a Nomad when they first came out and yes that screen does have ghosting bad, It was still a far better screen the the Game Gear. It was still good enough to play around.. But it did get to me at times.

True on the Nomad, but at that time I used to think the game was too fast... But I too didn't hear the term till the PSP.

I'm thinking this is why Sony decided to go with AMOLED screens for the PSP2(NGP) maybe to shed that distinction. There probably isn't a really good LCD screen of that size that wouldn't ghost with the kind of graphics they will be pushing on it. I wonder if in a couple of years they will have complaints on the Blue fading etc. I've always wondered what the life of those screens will ultimately be. Last I heard they still don't hold up near as long as LCD's do.

Anyone here ever try to play fast-moving games using a DSTN display? :lol:

Anyone here ever try to play fast-moving games using a DSTN display? :lol:
:lol: - i think I have, not sure whether the DECpc 325SL (aka AST PowerExec 3/25SL or the like) passive matrix display is DSTN or what, but I have played pinball fantasies (for DOS) on one... the ball is such a blur that its comical :p

I played through Jazz Jackrabbit 2 on one, back when it was first released. If you've played it, you know how fast things can go in that game. :lol: Good times.

(For those unfamiliar with DSTN displays, they were once common in lower-end laptops due to being a lower-cost alternative to a TFT, because the display was the single most expensive part of a laptop at the time - it was these that helped laptops to begin to become affordable. It was not advisable to play games on them because they quite simply weren't designed for fast-moving images, and would even ghost when simply doing things such as word-processing, but many folks used them for games anyway. Now THAT was some bad ghosting.)

OH my DSTN, I forgot those. I remember now they were the kind you'd find in any affordable pocket TV, the kind where if you were watching Seinfeld and Kramer slid into the room he looked like one big wide Kramer for a second. The TFT's were in fact only in higher end devices, now they are in everything. Thanks for bringing that bit back to my old mind Prometheus! Tending to forget more stuff as I get older and more medicated.

I think my old Game gear and Game boy have DSTN screens too! I used to have a old IBM Thinkpad running Win 3.1 that had one aswell come to think of it. Good times! I loved them dearly haha Unluckily for my old consoles they will probably never get played again now as there all in my Pandora.

Saying that I don't actually remember a Game gear Emu knocking about yet. Picodrive doesn't support them ATM

I think my old Game gear and Game boy have DSTN screens too! I used to have a old IBM Thinkpad running Win 3.1 that had one aswell come to think of it. Good times! I loved them dearly haha Unluckily for my old consoles they will probably never get played again now as there all in my Pandora.
I'm pretty sure that the Game Boy and Game Gear don't - DSTN displays have a large and very visible horizontal line right through the middle as a defining characteristic. Those two are just proof that screen technology has improved for the better. :lol:

Saying that I don't actually remember a Game gear Emu knocking about yet. Picodrive doesn't support them ATM
Look up Dega. I believe it does. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand corrected and thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the emu tomorrow.

Haha I was well off, I was thinking of my Nomad and it was a STN LCD not DSTN.

Edit, was just getting my facts right on a Wiki and found this

"Small monochrome displays such as those found in personal organizers, electronic weighing scales, older laptop screens, and the original Gameboy have a passive-matrix structure employing super-twisted nematic (STN) or double-layer STN (DSTN) technology (the latter of which addresses a colour-shifting problem with the former), and colour-STN (CSTN) in which colour is added by using an internal filter. Each row or column of the display has a single electrical circuit. The pixels are addressed one at a time by row and column addresses. This type of display is called passive-matrix addressed because the pixel must retain its state between refreshes without the benefit of a steady electrical charge. As the number of pixels (and, correspondingly, columns and rows) increases, this type of display becomes less feasible. Very slow response times and poor contrast are typical of passive-matrix addressed LCDs."

found it here

Not meaning to prove you wrong but it says it there :lol:

Funny how I'm the only person I know of that owns a Sega Nomad in my circle of friends or people I met.. Not sure if any of them even knows what a Nomad is... And on the Pandora boards I find a bunch of people that own them.

Edit, was just getting my facts right on a Wiki and found this

"Small monochrome displays such as those found in personal organizers, electronic weighing scales, older laptop screens, and the original Gameboy have a passive-matrix structure employing super-twisted nematic (STN) or double-layer STN (DSTN) technology (the latter of which addresses a colour-shifting problem with the former), and colour-STN (CSTN) in which colour is added by using an internal filter. Each row or column of the display has a single electrical circuit. The pixels are addressed one at a time by row and column addresses. This type of display is called passive-matrix addressed because the pixel must retain its state between refreshes without the benefit of a steady electrical charge. As the number of pixels (and, correspondingly, columns and rows) increases, this type of display becomes less feasible. Very slow response times and poor contrast are typical of passive-matrix addressed LCDs."

found it here

Not meaning to prove you wrong but it says it there :lol:
I stand corrected - thankyou. I always appreciate learning something new. :)

Funny how I'm the only person I know of that owns a Sega Nomad in my circle of friends or people I met.. Not sure if any of them even knows what a Nomad is... And on the Pandora boards I find a bunch of people that own them.

Yupp, looking on Ebay there worth quite a mint if you keep boxes for stuff. Unfortunately I was quite young and didn't really care for keeping original packaging for stuff. I don't these days either apart from my current stuff. IE iPhone. Unfortunately I don't have a box for my Pandora either as I picked it up in person!

I stand corrected - thankyou. I always appreciate learning something new. :)

NP, me too. I find it very interesting the evolution of electronics is fascinating to me TBH :)

As for the thread I haven't noticed any ghosting at all. I play mostly PSX/N64 and the odd episode of Top Gear and it's a really nice crisp screen, very smooth for gaming so far.

Back