Ps3 = £425 Without A Game

daclassicgamingmaster posted on May 20 2006 at 08:04 PM said:
declaration posted on May 20 2006 at 04:58 PM said:
DVD would 100% have taken off without the PS2 (although probably more slowly).
Blu-Ray may not take off even with the PS3.
Thats the difference.
Really? Because without hindsight, you would be able to say the same thing about the ps2 and dvd? Please.

You havent the faintest clue how Blu-ray will fare until the world gets a taste of it from a ps3. Im sure many people would have said the same thing about dvds when the concept was released.

Oh, there are several "clues" to be had, if you know where to look.

Betamax
Memory Stick
Minidisc
ATRAC

Steve-O posted on May 21 2006 at 05:07 PM said:
the blu ray drive makes it future proof as well so in time games can make use of the format...

Also, if you are realy pissed about the price, why not get a money saving tin which cannot be opened and bang £10 a week in for a year or so then you will have more than enough for it ;)...

It's not "future-proof" if HD-DVD becomes the standard and Blu-Ray joins the above formats in Sony-exclusive obscurity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what you said, GeminiDomino. If Sony didn't have their hand in every single facet of the electronics and media markets, they'd be a sunk ship by now. Now they're in line to ruin their most popular franchise, the Playstation.

Here's a fun fact-
Nintendo, which makes only games and consoles, makes more profit per quarter than Sony, which makes gaming consoles, games, televisions, a record label (Sony/BMG), a movie publisher/studio (something like that), walkmans, cd players etc.

iignotus posted on May 21 2006 at 06:16 PM said:
Exactly what you said, GeminiDomino. If Sony didn't have their hand in every single facet of the electronics and media markets, they'd be a sunk ship by now. Now they're in line to ruin their most popular franchise, the Playstation.
Playstation is definitely a victim of its own success. If it wasn't as successful and market dominating, Playstation didn't have to carry the whole company, that is sinking, alone.

Sony is like MS, Google, and Starbucks that their success is measured by the rapid speed of expansion and market penetration. By definition, they have to keep expand, and one day, like MS is now, they reach to the point where there is no more room to expand. Sony, as an electronics company, is stretched too thin.

Jumping in...

Yes, Dec-you are right. They are forcing an unwanted concept on us. Blue Ray may be fantastic (I don't know), but I don't need/want it. I am happy with DVD etc.

But the real point here is that although a couple of of us are saying that it's fine to be so expensive and that they will get one, the majority aren't. And if this carries over to the gaming world at large, then PS3 is doomed. I was gonna get one at launch. Now I don't think I will. I just think they are making a big mistake.

And Nintendo are getting everything right...

lubidog posted on May 22 2006 at 08:20 AM said:

Which is probably the most disturbing thing....
Where did Nintendo go all right all of a sudden?

Goity posted on May 22 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
lubidog posted on May 22 2006 at 08:20 AM said:

Which is probably the most disturbing thing....

yakuza? So they kicked microsofts mafia's ass
And sonys stomach is to big to see nintendo coming, and even if they did see them comming sony's to big to move and do something. Well apart from copying nintendo's controller

Goity posted on May 22 2006 at 08:37 AM said:
Around the end of SNES days, Ninty's ego was bloated to the size of a whale. After a few smack downs by Sony, now the disease is transfered to Sony, it seems. Also, Iwata and Reggie are very smart-thinking-no-none-sense type execs whereas Yamauchi and Howard Lincoln combo was the model for current Sony's Kutaragi and Phil Harrison team - bullish-I'm-running-you-over-type.

The DS is everything at the moment. I just got some new stuff and it is all brilliant!

Nintendo are just making great games. Simple as that! This brain training game is so good. As is Mario Bros and Metroid.

Just great stuff. I only want to play games, not buy new tvs.

The GB carried Nintendo through some hard times, maybe the PSP will carry Sony through this "Blue Ray" thing that they feel is needed for their system. :)

darkman posted on May 22 2006 at 07:36 PM said:
The GB carried Nintendo through some hard times, maybe the PSP will carry Sony through this "Blue Ray" thing that they feel is needed for their system. :)

The PSP that is failing to keep up with the DS...?

But I know that the PSP is doing okay. Just falling behind Ninty in sales etc.

Can anyone explain to me why I need Blue Ray? I have a pet Sting Ray in the shower. It's quite blue. That was a terrible joke. I'm...I'm having a bad day.

(naw)mcx posted on May 18 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
<bad wii joke>I just had a wii</bad wii joke>

Yeah im gona get a wii. Ps3 is teh suxzorz

Yep, same for me... At least one company who makes another kinda console each time, instead of just making better graphics...

NoidZ posted on May 22 2006 at 04:12 PM said:

Yep, same for me... At least one company who makes another kinda console each time, instead of just making better graphics...
I believe you mean "makes new consoles with a different control scheme but doesnt bother touching the graphics from the current gen" ;)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on May 23 2006 at 03:05 PM said:
NoidZ posted on May 22 2006 at 04:12 PM said:

I believe you mean "makes new consoles with a different control scheme but doesnt bother touching the graphics from the current gen" ;)

Noooooooooo, It has some improvements though. And yeah, if the controller works as nice as I think it works, the Wii IS revolutionary. There are even topics on other sites which on people have a discussion about: How do you think the controller is used in for example Zelda: TP. But what you said was right about the controllers.

Every Nintendo console has another look and feel. (NGC controller are perfect)
Xbox360 has the same controllers as Xbox, only white and rounder
PS1+PS2 had exactly the same controllers, only PS2 was black PS1 was white or gray (which I think really suck) and now you have the PS3 "Banana" controllers which also look and feel the same.

The best controller of all is ofcourse the good old NES pad cause that one is almost just as unbreakable as a pair of socks :)

Nintendo is the only company who comes up with something new everytime! That's good accept for the GameBoy's ofcourse cause in that kinda shit Nintendo is just as stupid as the people who buy a GameBoy then a GameBoy Pocket, then a GameBoy Light, then a GameBoy Color, then a GameBoy Advance, then a GameBoy Advance SP, then a Nintendo DS ,then a Nintendo DS Lite and the really stupid (and people who have too much money) also buy a GameBoy Micro.

That's what I have to say :)

lubidog posted on May 22 2006 at 08:38 PM said:

Can anyone explain to me why I need Blue Ray? I have a pet Sting Ray in the shower. It's quite blue. That was a terrible joke. I'm...I'm having a bad day.

Hop on Nova's lap and tell us all about it.

NoidZ posted on May 23 2006 at 10:08 AM said:
The best controller of all is ofcourse the good old NES pad cause that one is almost just as unbreakable as a pair of socks :)
Unbreakable, yes. Comfortable? HAHA

Nova posted on May 23 2006 at 10:31 AM said:
lubidog posted on May 22 2006 at 08:38 PM said:

Hop on Nova's lap and tell us all about it.
:blink:

Graphical improvements are all well and good, but Sony have concentrated on them too much.
The Wii will definitely be noticably better graphically than the GC, and wont look much worst than the other two on a normal TV.

Sony have neglected other things. Their decision to stick with the dualshock 2 is a joke. Its a PS1 pad with two analogue sticks slapped on it. They could at least swap the Dpad and left analogue stick around.

Back