Ps3 = £425 Without A Game

Hmm...so that's about £150 more than a 360 at the moment (presuming MS don't reduce that by the time the PS3 is released, which they almost certainly will). Looks like Sony are pricing themselves out of the market right now.

Sure plenty of people will buy it on launch day, but a lot more will turn to the 360 (and later the Wii) over time. Sony need to get that price down and QUICK.

Fuck it, I'm going to get a 360 when they reduce the price. And a Wii.

To go on about the PC thing. A colleague of mine just made a PC for around 500 euros that plays World of Warcraft on the highest settings as if it was strolling on th epark on a summer day. Not even a sweat on it's brow (it hasn't got a brow!).

And I'm with Dec. This is far too much money. I know the PS2 was pricey etc. But that didn't use SUCH new technology (did it???). How can the price fall so quickly? And with the Wii starting low, I believe all the casual gamers that have made Sony what it is will just turn to the Wii.

But I could be wrong. But I won't buy one on launch now. And if enough other people feel the same. The Playstation brand has proven to be fallible-look at the psp v DS etc.

I'm going now.

Oh. My. God.
Nintendo's plan is actually working perfectly to plan?
Seems that they were expecting something like this, and Xbox isn't going anywhere with 360 in Japanlandia.
Could they actually "win"?

40% of the PS3's cost is due to Blu-Ray, which they are attempting to push right now. That tech is due to go down in cost a LOT so the PS3 will most likely be cheaper within a few months.

lubidog posted on May 18 2006 at 10:21 PM said:
moz posted on May 18 2006 at 05:47 PM said:
declaration posted on May 18 2006 at 06:39 PM said:
You could almost buy a top of the range gaming PC for that price.
err no

Er yes!

(If you make it yourself without monitor)

im interested

list the parts and prices for this top of the range headless PC that will play decent games in say 2 years time.
dont forget the OS+virus protection etc. guess you'd better make the OS vista to future proof it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly wouldn't buy a 360 if it was $20. There are absolutely no games that even mildly appeal to me so I have no reason to buy it. ps3 has MGS and FF but, that would make it be around $300 a game if thats all I got (and that is all I would get).

moz posted on May 19 2006 at 10:30 PM said:
lubidog posted on May 18 2006 at 10:21 PM said:
moz posted on May 18 2006 at 05:47 PM said:
declaration posted on May 18 2006 at 06:39 PM said:
You could almost buy a top of the range gaming PC for that price.
err no

Er yes!

(If you make it yourself without monitor)

im interested

list the parts and prices for this top of the range headless PC that will play decent games in say 2 years time.
dont forget the OS+virus protection etc. guess you'd better make the OS vista to future proof it.
7900gt = £200 in some places. There is no way that won't run every game in two years time.

cpu + mobo (amd 3500+ and budget mobo = £160ish)
memory = £40
hdd + DVD RW = £50
case + psu = £25

mouse, keyboard, and monitor = £20 combined (from comp fairs/ charity shops)

That's £500. I said almost originally. It might not be top top of the range if you are argumentative about it, but it'll run any game you throw at it easily.

plus Linux is free. And at least that comes with a game. Plus everyone can get Windows for free.

Just calm down and stop being so pedantic. I didnt mean the best PC in the world ever, just that it would almost buy a PC which is near the top of the mainstream range for gaming.
£425 for a console without a game is getting ridiculous.

Huxley posted on May 19 2006 at 02:33 AM said:
I don't know why anyone wants a 360 if they have a decent PC. PC gets all the big games for 360 and will look better; 90% of 360 games are PC RPGs and FPSs. 360 is a not-so-poor-man's PC that has some of the best PC games. BTW I heard about the rivalry between MS PC gaming division and 360 division; a classic sign of winning team. :p

Shikaku posted on May 20 2006 at 03:31 AM said:
.... There are FREE anti-virus protection programs...

After years of using the expensive Norton's Anti-virus, this year I switched to AVGFree (literally free) and have found it MUCH better. I'll never go back to paying for anti-virus again, it's such a con for a home user.

itsme posted on May 20 2006 at 04:48 AM said:
I don't know why anyone wants a 360 if they have a decent PC. PC gets all the big games for 360 and will look better; 90% of 360 games are PC RPGs and FPSs. 360 is a not-so-poor-man's PC that has some of the best PC games. BTW I heard about the rivalry between MS PC gaming division and 360 division; a classic sign of winning team. :p

You're an idiot.

davey g posted on May 20 2006 at 10:34 AM said:

You're an idiot.
How? He's right; everything released on the 360 is (for the most part) on the PC.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on May 20 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
davey g posted on May 20 2006 at 10:34 AM said:

You're an idiot.
How? He's right; everything released on the 360 is (for the most part) on the PC.

Agreed. And as for being future proof (a few posts back), better get a 360-2.

Huxley posted on May 20 2006 at 08:54 AM said:
Perhaps, but the 360 is bloody cheaper than a comparable PC.

I can build a pc for around $500 that plays games in similar quality as x360 and do more as a PC. Anyway, the point that I was trying to make was that Xbox has always been trojan horse for MS unlike Sony and Ninty with their consoles. MS's ultimate goal is entice people to use their PC-based online services (WindowsLive) and use Xbox as a jumping board. That's why Xbox will NEVER have the full media funtionality like Windows Media Center do; the same kind of idea that Apple allowed only 100 songs on iTunes compatible cell phones. All MS's first party games for XBox made (will make) appearence on PC because that's their actual target platform. Even their executives openly admitted that. As a console gamer, I don't like that; I found it rather intrusive.

Cyclops posted on May 18 2006 at 08:51 PM said:
and is more powerful than my desktop. I'm getting one.

It will most likely be more powerful than your desktop :)... the PS3 Hardware is going to kick ass and is worth it whe you think of it... Eg your getting a Blue Ray Drive, imagine the cost of a Blue Ray dvd player when they are first released etc etc... and the original PSX when it was first released was £300 area PS2 was £350 odd so realy all consoles start off high priced then drop...

I don't see why it's so great that you're getting a Blu-ray drive in your PS3. I don't own an HDTV and I'm not likely to get one soon, and even if I did, the selection and price of blu-ray movies is not worth it at this point in time. Maybe in a few years I'd be all over it if/when the format is more popular, but right now it serves no purpose in the PS3. PC games have been providing higher resolutions than HDTV for a while now and those games are fine on a single DVD. The blu-ray isn't necessary for gaming, it's just pushing up the price of the machine and serving to give Sony's new format a foot in the door.

Ravnos posted on May 20 2006 at 07:09 PM said:
I don't see why it's so great that you're getting a Blu-ray drive in your PS3. I don't own an HDTV and I'm not likely to get one soon, and even if I did, the selection and price of blu-ray movies is not worth it at this point in time. Maybe in a few years I'd be all over it if/when the format is more popular, but right now it serves no purpose in the PS3. PC games have been providing higher resolutions than HDTV for a while now and those games are fine on a single DVD. The blu-ray isn't necessary for gaming, it's just pushing up the price of the machine and serving to give Sony's new format a foot in the door.
exactly. blu-ray is clearly not needed for gaming.

I really hope including blu-ray into the PS3 messes things up for Sony. You shouldnt push a format no-one wants down peoples throats. Sony are basically exploiting fans of their gaming division.

It was different with DVD. There wasnt a similar format war at the time, and the public overwhelmingly were dissatisfied with VHS and ready for DVD.

DVD would 100% have taken off without the PS2 (although probably more slowly).
Blu-Ray may not take off even with the PS3.
Thats the difference.

itsme posted on May 20 2006 at 05:12 PM said:
I can build a pc for around $500 that plays games in similar quality as x360 and do more as a PC.

Yes, but I already have a PC for doing 'other stuff' and I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds upgrading it just to play what would amount to a couple of games. At least the Xbox has a much larger choice and variety of games available.

Back