Protecting the pyra

For those who have never touched a sheet of PC, PC is very ductile, you can "cut" a 2 mm sheet of acrylic by marking it with a sharp tool and then bending, but if you try that with PC, it doesn't break, it just bends. PC's high impact capacity and clearness is why it's usually used for motorbike screens (windshields), car headlights, and any application which requires transparent impact protection (but not heat protection).

So if you drop your Pyra, its case will not break, but most likely it would dent.

My only personal experience of testing polycabonate parts to destruction is in breaking up old CD-Rs and DVD-RWs. Those are made out of layers so the individual thicknesses are even thinner than that of an optical data disc. They almost always delaminate when I bend them (inside a plastic bag in case of shards flying out), and then break at some point past 90 degrees from memory.

I think what's happening in that video is due to the impact compressing the metal there's quite a lot of heat generated. I've never known a cold drop to dent any kind of plastic I can think of, it'll either shatter or scuff as it rolls.

Maybe scuff would be the right term, you would need to drop it on purpose against something sharp to dent it, another example (though that's 6mm thick):

But yes, PC is what you choose when you need a cheap impact resistant transparent plastic. It's a shame it's not so easy to find (as sheets) on hardware stores, as it's great for some projects...

this belongs in the politics thread, but gun death statistics in other countries show a different reality than the hypothetical reality you're painting.

not against gun ownership, but america needs to learn from countries like Japan and Switzerland to prevent needless deaths...
I doubt that without seeing any evidence, so I'd like to see which statistics that you mean. But that would indeed be better in the politics thread (which I follow).

Im more a fan of Knives, as these are also meant as a Tool, you can slice your bread roll whit your knive for breakfast, or open a Package whit a Pyra in, but a Gun is only meant as a Weapon, and you cant do anything else whit this..
Shure there are also Sporting Guns, but these arend also no tools..
My favourite weapon is the pen.

Reactions: rSl
To bring this Thread again up: I can report the Pyra is mightier than my Leg: 2 Years ago, i bought a nice Yellow Electric Bike, awesome peace of 2 Wheel Device, drove every Sunday about 70 km until i had an Accident whit the Troitwar..

This might be the first reportet Pyra Caused Injury as i got my Leg between Pyra, Sidewalk Stones, and the 26 kg E-Bike Frame (Maybe a bit more as i was still on it), .. so it might pushed against the inside stuff in my Leg, and caused some trouble..
In the Clinic, they put my Leg on a Röntgen Device, but nothing was broken, only some inflamations..
Allthough i still have some trouble bending my leg up, so this year i ditnt drove sadly..

But the Pyra is still fine, i only had to click back a few pegs in the Lid frame, so i dont think it would need some Protection of the Pyra, i carry it all the Day in my Leg Pocket, and it ditnt even looks now like my Pandora..

If you search for "DragonBox Pyra Screen Protector" on Amazon, there's offerings from Synvy, Vaxson, and Puccy. In addition to the standard, there's also anti blue light and privacy screen options.

Last edited:
Back