Promoting The Pandora Via Youtube

craigix: make a video of the pandora running the following psx games: final fantasy VII, diablo 1, tekken 3, resident evil 1 2 or 3, gran turismo 2, tomb raider, metal gear solid, twisted metal 2

also make a video of the video playback and mp3 performance. for mp3 maybe you can get visualizations working?

also a web browser performance video where you visit various websites

IMHO, 10 min of video is too long for most casual viewers. We need to capture their attention in the first 3 min or so. I'm not saying the video can not be longer than 4 min, I'm just saying the 1st 3 min must WOW them.

I would show off the following in that first 3 or 4 min (not in any particular oder) :
* Touch screen (both finger and stylus)
* Nubs. In game action and as a mouse within an app.
* Web browsing:
----- Bring up popular sites : Twitter, Facebook, Wiki, Google, audio streaming site, etc... (although Flash is going to be a problem).
----- Show the easy of navigation within the browser using the D-pad, Nubs, touchscreen, keyboard, ...
----- Downloading a file from a website.
----- Typing an email in Yahoo/Google/etc...
* Pic browsing : some hot bikini girl, a Lamborghini, a creek, etc ...
* Show music player at work. Do a File Open and put emphasis on the files it will support.
* Same as music player for video.
* Show a wordprocessor/excel/etc... at work.
* Show off emu games, I would put emphasis on MD, SNES, NeoGeo, PSX, GBA, and a couple of homebrews.
Choose the ones PSP have trouble emulating.
* Showing a development IDE in action to let them know you can use this thing to do programming.

Do a 2 to 3 second cuts of each to give that "rush" we get when we watch those movie trailors.
The next 5 to 6 min can be more on the specs of the device.
End it with a 15 sec of Doom3 carnage. :)

haptagud posted on May 21 2009 at 01:49 PM said:
In the UK it is still illegal to rip your own CD's to your iPod.

Though I have no idea what the law says about other media, such as playing a "backup" of a game you own via emulation...
As ToaD says the open source catalog is large.

/
That is a strange law. Why in the world should you be forced by the law to pay someone else to do something you could easily do yourself? What about recording off of the radio is that illegal too?
Every time a new technology comes along the record and movie industry screams bloody murder, that they are going to loose their shirts and jobs blah, blah, blah. Truth is, every time a new tech comes along, they fight it and fight it, then they make billions off it. They were so afraid of the VCR... They did everything they could to stop it and when they failed they created a new market that didn't even exist before that made them untold billions from movie sales and rentals. Napster and other file sharing software made the industry unprecedented profits. Look at Sony. They will sell you the content, the computer and the player. Napster was free advertising and free hosting of their music which resulted in record cd sales.

Somewhere along the way the attitude of lawmakers has changed and new and silly laws are being passed slowly chipping away at the consumer and (I think) new ways to make money for the industry. Hopefully they will wake up.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
OpenTheBox posted on May 22 2009 at 07:55 PM said:
IMHO, 10 min of video is too long for most casual viewers. We need to capture their attention in the first 3 min or so. I'm not saying the video can not be longer than 4 min, I'm just saying the 1st 3 min must WOW them.
I would show off the following in that first 3 or 4 min (not in any particular oder) :
* Touch screen (both finger and stylus)
* Nubs. In game action and as a mouse within an app.
* Web browsing:
----- Bring up popular sites : Twitter, Facebook, Wiki, Google, audio streaming site, etc... (although Flash is going to be a problem).
----- Show the easy of navigation within the browser using the D-pad, Nubs, touchscreen, keyboard, ...
----- Downloading a file from a website.
----- Typing an email in Yahoo/Google/etc...
* Pic browsing : some hot bikini girl, a Lamborghini, a creek, etc ...
* Show music player at work. Do a File Open and put emphasis on the files it will support.
* Same as music player for video.
* Show a wordprocessor/excel/etc... at work.
* Show off emu games, I would put emphasis on MD, SNES, NeoGeo, PSX, GBA, and a couple of homebrews.
Choose the ones PSP have trouble emulating.
* Showing a development IDE in action to let them know you can use this thing to do programming.

Do a 2 to 3 second cuts of each to give that "rush" we get when we watch those movie trailors.
The next 5 to 6 min can be more on the specs of the device.
End it with a 15 sec of Doom3 carnage. :)

I personally think the screen is too small to really enjoy web browsing or email and word processing. The keyboard is more for emulating machines with keyboards and for quick stuff. I wouldn't want to use a pandora as a blogging device.
The Pandora is a gaming console and it should really concentrate on the gaming. We don't want it to loose it's identity. That problem has killed many great hardware projects.

Chris

christo930 posted on May 22 2009 at 09:27 PM said:
I personally think the screen is too small to really enjoy web browsing or email and word processing. The keyboard is more for emulating machines with keyboards and for quick stuff. I wouldn't want to use a pandora as a blogging device.
The Pandora is a gaming console and it should really concentrate on the gaming. We don't want it to loose it's identity. That problem has killed many great hardware projects.

Chris
The screen is bigger than the iphone's and on the iphone browsing is really enjoyable.

efegea posted on May 22 2009 at 08:38 PM said:
christo930 posted on May 22 2009 at 09:27 PM said:
Chris
The screen is bigger than the iphone's and on the iphone browsing is really enjoyable.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong and people will enjoy it.
Safari though seems to be WHY people like using it. Firefox is a good browser, but it's not as good as Safari is on a small screen (at least what I have seen of it).

Chris

MDave posted on May 22 2009 at 07:59 PM) [quote="Awakening posted on May 22 2009 at 02:15 PM said:
MDave posted on May 22 2009 at 01:16 PM said:
Awakening posted on May 22 2009 at 11:51 AM said:
BTW, I think Matchbox is a lot more visually appealing. People are getting more and more used to that kind of interface through modern mobile phones and handhelds. It's also very touch friendly with large icons so you can use it with your fingers.
I've wondered why we haven't seen Matchbox since when they shown the theme I made for them. That was like January :(
IIRC ED was working on some updates, some time ago. It looked very clean and functional, only problem was the lack of a task bar for easy multitasking. I really liked the look of it, and it also gave the Pandora a style of it's own. Great background too.
Ahh, but there is a 'task bar' for easy multitasking :) when you have a program or more running, you select the top of the window (the title of the program to be exact) and a drop down menu shows up showing programs running :) Fullscreen applications (like games"] won't have this feature of course, but I'm sure there is something equivilant to windows alt-tab, perhaps the Pandora button.[/quote]But that is not a task BAR :) A bar is much nicer because you can see all your currently active programs, it's at the bottom of the screen and switching is just 1 click away. A bar where I could rearrange the tasks would be great, like you can do with the tabs in Firefox.

Awakening posted on May 22 2009 at 08:48 PM) [quote="MDave posted on May 22 2009 at 07:59 PM) [quote="Awakening posted on May 22 2009 at 02:15 PM said:
MDave posted on May 22 2009 at 01:16 PM said:
Awakening posted on May 22 2009 at 11:51 AM said:
BTW, I think Matchbox is a lot more visually appealing. People are getting more and more used to that kind of interface through modern mobile phones and handhelds. It's also very touch friendly with large icons so you can use it with your fingers.
I've wondered why we haven't seen Matchbox since when they shown the theme I made for them. That was like January :(
IIRC ED was working on some updates, some time ago. It looked very clean and functional, only problem was the lack of a task bar for easy multitasking. I really liked the look of it, and it also gave the Pandora a style of it's own. Great background too.
Ahh, but there is a 'task bar' for easy multitasking :) when you have a program or more running, you select the top of the window (the title of the program to be exact) and a drop down menu shows up showing programs running :) Fullscreen applications (like games"] won't have this feature of course, but I'm sure there is something equivilant to windows alt-tab, perhaps the Pandora button.[/quote]But that is not a task BAR :"] A bar is much nicer because you can see all your currently active programs, it's at the bottom of the screen and switching is just 1 click away. A bar where I could rearrange the tasks would be great, like you can do with the tabs in Firefox.[/quote]I'd rather have that part of the screen used by the actual application that's running, we are going to be playing around with 4'5 inch screens here :p but anyway, I'm sure that type of functionality is possible. It is open source for you to change it how you want it :)

efegea posted on May 22 2009 at 10:20 PM said:
Thagerg posted on May 22 2009 at 10:18 PM said:
why would we want firefox if we can get chrome...
We can get chrome? :huh:
Chromium can be compiled... but why use a beta, unstable browser instead of Firefox, which is rock-stable?

I'd accept embedding Arora or something. Would make an excellent alternative.

And hey, make the task bar an option. What's there to argue about.
If you are a good designer, you make all your layouts fluid anyways (if you use pixels as an unit even once (except for borders and similar) you're doing it wrong), and I think that Matchbox has such a layout, so just rescale the whole thing and fit in a proper task bar (could be done like the on-screen keyboard is displayed atm), or combine it with the existing bar(s) as an applet.

christo930 posted on May 22 2009 at 03:23 PM said:
That is a strange law. Why in the world should you be forced by the law to pay someone else to do something you could easily do yourself? What about recording off of the radio is that illegal too?
I don't know the UK law, so I'll speak about what I know about US law. I'm not a lawyer, so take what I say with salt (and vodka. Add slice of a lime)
There is no law that says "you cannot copy a CD". It's a generic "you cannot copy copyright materials without the copyright holders permission". Period. End of debate. That is what copyright law says. If that's what we're basing on, then it is illegal to copy a CD. However, in the US at least, there is then "fair use" exceptions which includes things like satire, or certain forms of education, and a few other things I could look up but am feeling lazy. I suspect that this "fair use" also exists in the UK. Unfortunately, this fair use law still does not include the right to copy a CD (or any thing, really, be it CD, game, book, radio, whatever) for personal use like this; it's very specific about what is and isn't fair use, and this isn't one of them. If that were the end of it, it would still be illegal to copy a CD in the US, and I suspect that's where it really did end in the UK.
Fortunately, in the 70s or 80s (again, I'm too lazy to look up the details) audio tapes became a huge thing, and the mix tape was an obvious usage. People were using audio tapes to record music off the radio and off LPs to listen to later on their walkmans. This was, by the definition of the existing laws, illegal. So the recording companies got together and attempted to have the government enforce these copyright laws. In response, a law was passed that allowed copying of material for personal use between formats (radio and LP to audio cassette, specifically). That same law today allows the copying of CDs and video games, assuming you are the owner of the original, and you are the person making the backup, for the sole purpose of playing it on a system other than the original intended.
So you see, it is not a silly law made to prevent the copy of CDs, it is lack of a law that excludes it from the catch-all copyright protection. Unless there is such a law in the UK, in which case that's pretty messed up.

dflemstr posted on May 22 2009 at 03:35 PM said:
efegea posted on May 22 2009 at 10:20 PM said:
Thagerg posted on May 22 2009 at 10:18 PM said:
We can get chrome? :huh:
Chromium can be compiled... but why use a beta, unstable browser instead of Firefox, which is rock-stable?
I'd accept embedding Arora or something. Would make an excellent alternative.

And hey, make the task bar an option. What's there to argue about.
If you are a good designer, you make all your layouts fluid anyways (if you use pixels as an unit even once (except for borders and similar) you're doing it wrong), and I think that Matchbox has such a layout, so just rescale the whole thing and fit in a proper task bar (could be done like the on-screen keyboard is displayed atm), or combine it with the existing bar(s) as an applet.

>Chrome

>Firefox
>Stable

:lol:

is illegal, then so is copying your old CDs, tapes and records on to an ipod and playing them on that.

So I'm not too worried about emulation, well not as much as i used to be.
Don't get me wrong, I love emulation. It's why I read this forum and bought a gp2x.

But seriously, do you really own a DonDonPachi arcade cab or other games demo'd in the youtube videos?

Even internally at TI, they're careful in their powerpoint presentations and demos of the Pandora and Beagleboard emulation.

Thagerg posted on May 22 2009 at 04:18 PM said:
Because Firefox is more stable, has extensions, and has a lot of basic features that Chrome does not.

for me, it's just a matter of one word:

Vimperator

-God Ginrai

Chromes stability isn't bad at all... what basic features is it missing? it seems to have many features that i like that other browsers don't have. More extensions will probably be coming for it soon.

Best of all it's fast and it's simple.

FASTERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Back