netbooks are better than the pandora?!?

This is totally off-topic, but why can't english speakers pronounce linux?

http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/

It's because the name "Linus" is pronounced with a long i here, not a short one. I rarely see people make this mistake anymore though, since the name has been commonly spoken for a long time.

EDIT: Enh, WizardStan got it first. Okay, I'll talk about something else then. People call American English backwards, but IMO British English is quite a bit more archaic. American English moved to using z instead of s and o instead of ou in various words, for instance, because it's more phonetically consistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's because the name "Linus" is pronounced with a long i here, not a short one. I rarely see people make this mistake anymore though, since the name has been commonly spoken for a long time.

EDIT: Enh, WizardStan got it first. Okay, I'll talk about something else then. People call American English backwards, but IMO British English is quite a bit more archaic. American English moved to using z instead of s and o instead of ou in various words, for instance, because it's more phonetically consistent.

The -ize vs -ise ending for words in still valid in British English, though the -ise ending is currently more popular. The -ize ending has been acceptable in British English since before the arrival of English speakers in Jamestown.

Some of the differences simply come from whoever wrote the dictionary. Both color and colour were in use in English before the first dictionaries, but Dr Johnson documented only 'colour' while Webster documented only 'color'. Neither language is newer.

On the other hand, the use of 'practice' for both the verb and noun form (as opposed to 'practise' for the verb form) has been dropped from American English, which makes American newer.

Certain other words were dropped from British English since America was founded, but all the ones I can think of (being a Britisher) have been reimported, or never left. I think terms like 'alright' might have disappeared and now returned. Those that have not come back yet make American English older.

In short, both languages have evolved a long way since our communities separated. Both are only as old as the last word invented in them.

The -ize vs -ise ending for words in still valid in British English, though the -ise ending is currently more popular. The -ize ending has been acceptable in British English since before the arrival of English speakers in Jamestown.

Some of the differences simply come from whoever wrote the dictionary. Both color and colour were in use in English before the first dictionaries, but Dr Johnson documented only 'colour' while Webster documented only 'color'. Neither language is newer.

On the other hand, the use of 'practice' for both the verb and noun form (as opposed to 'practise' for the verb form) has been dropped from American English, which makes American newer.

Certain other words were dropped from British English since America was founded, but all the ones I can think of (being a Britisher) have been reimported, or never left. I think terms like 'alright' might have disappeared and now returned. Those that have not come back yet make American English older.

In short, both languages have evolved a long way since our communities separated. Both are only as old as the last word invented in them.

It's an interesting discussion at any rate.. goes to show how dynamic and difficult to constrain language can be. I've just seen a lot of smug commentary from UK residents who think their dialect is more sanitary.

Even in America, you can't get people to say normal things right let alone worry about differences internationally. There are so many people I know who call a simple word like Library as "Lie-Berry" or February is commonly said as Feb You Airy just like library as if the first R doesn't exist. It doesn't stop there by any means.

Then Regional dialects can be a concern as I had an American Government teacher in high school years ago who said there was one word you would never hear her say and she held up a paper with the word "Fork" on it. She never said it despite many attempts by students to get her to say it. As it would come out sounding like the F word. She was from New England. I would say "Park the Car" She would say "Paak the Caaa" She was obviously self conscious about going into a restaurant and saying she needed a "Faack"

So people calling Linux as Line Ucks, well, I just say it correctly and they just adjust it or say "how ever you say it".

Heck I have heard southern people say their computer thing had Winders on it. :D

I had an American Government teacher in high school years ago who said there was one word you would never hear her say and she held up a paper with the word "Fork" on it

Heck I have heard southern people say their computer thing had Winders on it. :D
There was a news report a year or so ago about some politician or something who made the serious suggestion that the US English written language should be revamped over the coming years so everything would actually be spelled the way they sounded. This was in response to some kind of "our kids aren't learning how to spell properly" kerfuffle. My response to that was that if they did that, they'd have to print three versions of every book in the US: one for Boston with no 'r's in it; one for Tennessee where all the extra 'r's would go; and one for everyone else who didn't feel like putting up with that nonsense :p

Some free energy guy was trying to sell his machine, and described how the "ARN" (iron) created "PAR" (power) via the magic of magnets. It was pretty funny, because it was like a terrible exaggeration of a Texan accent or something.

Back when I watched a lot of free energy videos so I could laugh at people who take it seriously.

inline void offtopic(topic * LINUX_PRONOUNCIATION){

:\ Linux is free (as in freedom!) software, you are free to pronounce it however you like.

Being Australian, I pronounce it Line - Ucks. Just like I pronounce Linus like Line - Us(That pronounciation can also be seen in The Simpsons, when they did a 'behind the scenes' episode - why the HELL did I remember that?). Were I speaking directly to Swedish/Finnish people, in Swedish or Finnish(which I hope to learn someday - both of them), I'd change my pronounciation, like I would speaking German instead of English. But, as Line-Ucks is the norm in Aussie-English, at least around people I know, I use that...it's kinda like indenting your code. If you're doing a tutorial, you'll often make the spaces large(I always tab btw - spaces ftl. Only time I use spaces is when I call a function I defined myself, and that's rare because I forget). Otherwise, you have your preference of a single space, 3 spaces, or no indents at all

;) .

But yeah, Lean-Ucks is (an approximation) of how Linus Torvalds says it, and how you should if you are unsure/want to be a perfectionist/etc. Just play that clip

;) .

Well, English really, really really sucks. Learn a language-other-than-english and you'll see for yourself

;) . I guess it's what happens to languages of conquest. Germany didn't do much of that and so the language is pretty much the same, in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland, as far as i've heard from people from each of those countries - YMMV(ew YMMV feels weird when talking about people

:eek: ).

Iron is one word that just shouldn't exist the way it does. I pronounce that kinda like 'Ion', that gets annoying when talking about 'Iron Ions'

;) . I've heard 'Eye - ron', and that person wasn't joking. And 'Arn', too.

Linn-icks annoys the *shit* outta me. How the hell do people reach that one? No offense, carry on, but what? Do people not get that Unix/Minix and Linux are different? That's all I could come up with. What?

}

Back