Videos Uploaded By Devs

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
Has there been any discussion about asking the developers to upload to other video sites besides YouTube?
I'm thinking specifically of blip.tv. I've had an account there for a while, and they have a number of advantages over / similarities to using YouTube:

1. Flash Video is not the only format. Videos are always available as their original unaltered source, which offers the viewer more flexibility.
2. Because they offer the videos in their source format, there is no delay after uploading: All videos are immediately available in high-quality, and the lower-quality conversions come out later.
3. Videos can be downloaded in any of the formats with no restrictions. This isn't really an advantage from the publisher's standpoint, but it's convenient for viewers to have.
4. As easy to watch as YouTube. The default format is a Flash Player, so it's not harder for a user to watch videos from Blip.tv than from YouTube.

I really like it, because Flash has horrible performance on Linux, and watching Youtube's FLVs in anything besides the default player is inconvenient to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Mithrildor' said:
Youtube offers HD and HQ options.
Which are pretty crap.
I'm with this guy, I've wanted to kill Google ever since they put those little pop ups that block the lower part of the screen in. With sites like CODE
http://www.vimeo.com
around I seriously wonder why people still go on You-watch-me-talking-about-my-boring-life-on-a-webcam-and-rickroll-you-for-the-100000000th-time-tube.
Sorry, I felt the need to rant a little.

It's because youtube is the most popular and is convience so people know it better. Most people probably already have a youtube account, they probably don't want to make another account at some other website.

'femngi' said:
'Mithrildor' said:
Youtube offers HD and HQ options.
Which are pretty crap.
I'm with this guy, I've wanted to kill Google ever since they put those little pop ups that block the lower part of the screen in. With sites like CODE
http://www.vimeo.com
around I seriously wonder why people still go on You-watch-me-talking-about-my-boring-life-on-a-webcam-and-rickroll-you-for-the-100000000th-time-tube.
Sorry, I felt the need to rant a little.

I just went to take a closer look at vimeo, and...wow. I think this clip (view it in HD, fullscreen) shows the difference. I've never seen anything even close to this quality in youtube.
CODE
http://www.vimeo.com/hd#3744985

I guess they use Youtube because it is, by far, the most popular video sharing site on the Internet. Those videos they upload are not just to inform us, but also they serve as advertisement for the Pandora, which I think is great (the most people find out what the Pandora is and what it can do, the better!).

So maybe, just maybe, they could upload those videos to other sites as well, like Vimeo (yep, it is a great site) if they have the time. But with their tight schedules... well, I doubt it.

EDIT: Oops... Eksasol already posted this point, sorry :unsure: .

Vimeo is technically nice, but they're ruthless in terms of taking down videos of things that the video uploaders didn't make, so it's pretty much useless for Pandora videos showing off games, emulation, movies, music, etc.

I agree that there should be an alternative to Flash video, since Flash support on Linux is abysmal. Perhaps direct links to the video files could be posted?

P.S. What's with that single quote to double quote conversion thing? It's really annoying.

'sindbad' said:
I find that YouTube Perfect http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/38074 helps a lot, especially with the rewriting of flash to native plugins. Usually halves CPU usage.
Thank you so much.

You certainly won't get the same advertisement factor as on YouTube, but some people would rather bypass FLVs all together, and this site is really good about using standard formats.
The only thing might be that the Flash is only available at YouTube's SD, and to get HD you have to go to a different format [which some people might not like]

Direct links to videos would be great, assuming it's already being hosted somewhere. blip.tv is mostly just a hosting service with very basic low-definition Flash conversion.

Posting to both sites would be ideal, as YouTube has high traffic, and blip.tv has non-FLV formats. I seriously think you can upload any format in there and they'll just send it to the viewer. They definitely support Ogg, but I don't think they convert it to Flash.

edit: Vimeo has good HD quality, but my point is that this site offers basically "whatever definition you upload" in whatever format you upload, not Flash.
Again, posting to both somehow would be perfect.

'Skofo' said:
Vimeo is technically nice, but they're ruthless in terms of taking down videos of things that the video uploaders didn't make, so it's pretty much useless for Pandora videos showing off games, emulation, movies, music, etc.

I agree that there should be an alternative to Flash video, since Flash support on Linux is abysmal. Perhaps direct links to the video files could be posted?
Vimeo is the best, I use it all the time (www.vimeo.com/sparkymark) for general uploading of 720p stuff and the benefit is that it offers the ability for the user to download the original file as well (bottom right hand corner when viewing a vid). There is sometimes a few issues with conversion which causes timing to be a bit off but thats as I often export to WMV, then upload it to Vimeo which converts it again. I'm sure there's better ways, probably H264 but it suits my needs.

BTW if anybody watches the Meerkat video, don't ask, it's just random camera/editing testing. Currently using a Lumix TZ5 digital camera for 720p shooting. turns out alright if anybody needs a new digital camera that they want for shooting the odd video with as well - but thats completely off topic...........I'll get my coat!

Oh back on topic, I have never had anything took down from Vimeo and all my stuff generally has songs on them which would have been removed had they been on youtube!

If you use this, you can download the HQ/HD version in .mp4 format, so there's no reason to complain.

Is it really that important at this stage?

Watch, absorb, wait for next. The device itself will be with us soon :)

I find youtube annoying because it's blocked where I work. I wish I could just directly download them.

I always use CODE
www.Zamzar.com/url
to download youtube vids at work :D

Ah Zamzar, I used to enjoy thee.

Anyhoo, my thoughts are basically in line with lulzfish in that it would be nice to also have the videos uploaded to something more Linux friendly as Linux users seem to be where the device will most likely land home with. Maybe you should PM or email OP and see if they will consider it.

'Korlithiel' said:
Maybe you should PM or email OP and see if they will consider it.
I would if I knew who at OP was in charge of videos.. From what I can tell, they mostly manage that on their own.

Maybe just a rapid share rar file for those on linux and those who want a good copy for there HDD.

Evil Dragon seems to post a lot of videos, so maybe contacting him would be a good start. I suspect each member who has a camera posts their own videos, and from what little I've noticed that wouldn't be many of them.

Back