Youtube?

ryz0z

Still Fresh
I would think that this would be rather simple, but despite my attempts, I simply cannot get my Pandora 1ghz to play youtube videos in a respectable manner. Playing from a browser only seems to be working with Firefox, and that ends up being a total slideshow. The dedicated applications on the repo have no subscription/account support, and download videos rather than stream them. The youtube app on Android works, but for some reason my wifi connection is reduced significantly (barely usable) while Android is running. Are there any solutions, or do I just have to live with it?

I would think that this would be rather simple, but despite my attempts, I simply cannot get my Pandora 1ghz to play youtube videos in a respectable manner. Playing from a browser only seems to be working with Firefox, and that ends up being a total slideshow. The dedicated applications on the repo have no subscription/account support, and download videos rather than stream them. The youtube app on Android works, but for some reason my wifi connection is reduced significantly (barely usable) while Android is running. Are there any solutions, or do I just have to live with it?
I fear its the latter - well you could try using slackware, but I have my doubts that the experience will be better in a scale that really matters

If you can get a download link (I don't know if you can for Youtube videos) then you could try to stream them in VLC.

I'm sure someone could code an app which would make it entirely possible to use all of Youtube's features even on the oldest cc Pandora's (as long as it could play the video if it was on disk, no downscaling 1080p), someone would just need to do it.

The dedicated applications on the repo have no subscription/account support, and download videos rather than stream them.
No, TheTube streams then if you get the beta version that it's in the associated thread.  

I'm sure someone could code an app which would make it entirely possible to use all of Youtube's features even on the oldest cc Pandora's (as long as it could play the video if it was on disk, no downscaling 1080p), someone would just need to do it.
Basically you need to code a whole Youtube client and that's a hell of lot of work. A better solution is to improve on TheTube -> and as far as I know the source code is open so anyone can contribute to it. That's the best shot we have.  

Your best bet for using YouTube right now may well involve a USB wi-fi dongle.  If that won't help with the Android app, it will definitely help with XBMC and the YouTube plug-in.  I use a wi-fi dongle and the XBMC YouTube plug-in right now.  I haven't really tried Android on the Pandora yet, though I keep meaning to.

Edit: I do have to admit that the DailyMotion plug-in for XBMC has a much better success rate for playing videos than the YouTube plug-in (it seems to be about one hundred percent).

Last edited by a moderator:
XBMC has a little too much overhead for my taste and hate the search feature on youtube app for it.. As for Android it's version of youtube just doesn't work well..

I prefer The Tube, which the PND on the repo is broken, but there is a beta version posted in it's thread that still works fine, only downside the TV out capability is broken.. http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14810-the-tube/page-7#entry325189/URL]

Well, I have to admit that XBMC is not great for this because the YouTube plug-in is often behind the latest YouTube efforts to thwart external clients.  I just checked and a lot of videos don't work, though almost all were working a week and a half ago.  For this reason I tend to end up using DailyMotion on XBMC a lot more.  I'm more likely to use other devices for YouTube.  I use SMTube on devices that don't play well through the browser, but the Pandora version of SMTube seems to have been removed from the repo, which is just as well since it was too old to work anyway.

I can not even stream low res youtube videos, somehow the streaming does not work when the video is running, only when it is pausing... weird...

I can not even stream low res youtube videos, somehow the streaming does not work when the video is running, only when it is pausing... weird...
That's typical of Pandora wi-fi issues.  It can be solved by using some kind of USB WiFi dongle.  I have used a Panda Wireless dongle and a TrendNet dongle successfully to stream video on the Pandora.  Sometimes streaming will work over the built-in WiFi, but it's not consistent.

Yes, WiFi is crap on my Pandora. But my Linksys WiFi dongle from PC does not work at all onto the Pandora, even with the drivers (tip from notaz). I really hope the Pyra will get better WiFi than the Pandora has.

I have found that if you buy a dongle that people sell for use with the Raspberry Pi, it seems that it will work with no hassle on the Pandora as well (both that I have tried did anyway).

Back