netbooks are better than the pandora?!?

This is totally off-topic, but why can't english speakers pronounce linux?

http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/

'li' is pronounced with a short [ee] sound: compare prInt, mInImal etc.

'nux' is also short, non-diphtong, like in pUt. It's partly due to

minix: linux was just my working name for the thing, and as I wrote it

to replace minix on my system, the result is what it is... linus' minix

became linux.

-
Linux Torvalds

Sorry, it just bugs me.

'li' is pronounced with a short [ee] sound: compare prInt, mInImal etc.

'nux' is also short, non-diphtong, like in pUt. It's partly due to

minix: linux was just my working name for the thing, and as I wrote it

to replace minix on my system, the result is what it is... linus' minix

became linux.

-
Linux Torvalds

Sorry, it just bugs me.

I dunno. Why can't American speakers pronounce Aluminium?

I dunno. Why can't American speakers pronounce Aluminium?
Its spelled Aluminum here. Not Aluminium. Is it spelled that way over there? I forget how iupac work there. Been a while. Thought it was international, so nomenclature was the same. I suspect Aluminium may be and old enlgish variation. Pretty sure according to contemporary iupac nomenclature, its Aluminum. Wouldnt surprise me if teachers in UK still call it Aluminium tho. That is, if I understand your post correctly.

al.jpg

let us google it :D

aluminium : 34.200.000 hits

aluminum : 44.700.000 hits

I use aluminium because Im dutch but it looks like aluminum is a bit more widespread.

and some explanation

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) officially standardised on aluminium in 1990, though this has done nothing, of course, to change the way people in the US spell it for day to day purposes.

so technically its aluminium!

Last edited by a moderator:
let us google it :D

aluminium : 34.200.000 hits

aluminum : 44.700.000 hits

I use aluminium because Im dutch but it looks like aluminum is a bit more widespread.

and some explanation

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

Huh, I guess IUPAC nomenclature would be Aluminium. According to that source anyway. I never met a chemist that called it that tho. Even professors. Not surprising, were irrationally stubborn about those things here. Does make more sense to me, to use aluminum, if its based off of alumina tho. How do you pronounce alumina there? aluhminna? Or aloomina?

Because Linus is a common enough name in North America and is pronounced "Line-us". Doesn't matter what the original name was supposed to sound like, if your only method of conveying it is in writing, people are going to pronounce it as they read it.

Linus -> Line Us

Linux -> Line Ucks

Sometimes it is pronounce lin ucks (like tin), but I can't think of any word in the English language that has "li" making a "lee" sound, so it doesn't make any sense for an English speaker to conclude that that's how it is pronounced.

For the ux part to be ucks, we also look at the originating word "minix", pronounced min icks. Soft 'i' replaced with a soft 'u', you get min ucks.

What I don't understand is why non-native English speakers would expect it to be pronounced a specific way despite there being no rules for it to be so in English, as if we can hear accents in text. :p

While we're on the subject, why do British people like to end words with "er"? Like pronouncing "Corsica" as "Corsicker."

Huh, I guess IUPAC nomenclature would be Aluminium. According to that source anyway. I never met a chemist that called it that tho. Even professors. Not surprising, were irrationally stubborn about those things here. Does make more sense to me, to use aluminum, if its based off of alumina tho. How do you pronounce alumina there? aluhminna? Or aloomina?
Aloomina. Why, how do you pronounce it? ;)

True, in English, the stress is in different places in aluminium and alumina - but in my (limited) experience English chemists usually call it aluminium oxide anyway.

Damnit, nearly wrote aluminimum. All this typing bolds is confusing me!

Aloomina. Why, how do you pronounce it? ;)

True, in English, the stress is in different places in aluminium and alumina - but in my (limited) experience English chemists usually call it aluminium oxide anyway.

Damnit, nearly wrote aluminimum. All this typing bolds is confusing me!

We say aloomina, or aloominum oxide(AlO2) and pronounce Al, as aloominum. Seems to makes since to me, since the root word is alumina, not pronounced aluhminna, like how english say aluminnieum...wouldnt that be aluminna?

We say aloomina, or aloominum oxide(AlO2) and pronounce Al, as aloominum. Seems to makes since to me, since the root word is alumina, not pronounced aluhminna, like how english say aluminnieum...wouldnt that be aluminna?
Like I say, the emphasis has shifted between alumina and aluminium. The U is emphasised in alumina, while in aluminium it's so unemphasised as to almost be silent - alla-minnium.

Besides, why should the oxide and the metal share a name family? Should copper be named cooper after cuprite ;)

Because Linus is a common enough name in North America and is pronounced "Line-us". Doesn't matter what the original name was supposed to sound like, if your only method of conveying it is in writing, people are going to pronounce it as they read it.

Linus -> Line Us

Linux -> Line Ucks

Sometimes it is pronounce lin ucks (like tin), but I can't think of any word in the English language that has "li" making a "lee" sound, so it doesn't make any sense for an English speaker to conclude that that's how it is pronounced.

For the ux part to be ucks, we also look at the originating word "minix", pronounced min icks. Soft 'i' replaced with a soft 'u', you get min ucks.

What I don't understand is why non-native English speakers would expect it to be pronounced a specific way despite there being no rules for it to be so in English, as if we can hear accents in text. :p

It just always weirds me out a bit because as a german speaker, "lainacks" (your "line ucks") sounds so wrong

Just imagine all germans calling it kompooter instead of computer, then you know what I mean :)

Btw, my first successfull thread hijack and it wasn't even intentional. I'm so proud *sheds a manly tear*

While we're on the subject, why do British people like to end words with "er"? Like pronouncing "Corsica" as "Corsicker."
What's with that certain kind of British accent that replaces "th" sounds with "f"?

It pissed me off in the Portal 2 trailer when the British Sphere was all "oh my goodness I FOUGHT you wah ded"

I don't think they had it in the Sherlock Holmes movie, but they pronounced "suit" as "shoot" which is weird.

One begins to twist fearies to shoot facts... maybe they did have the th->f thing. Fing.

Uh, but about netbooks... Don't they have crap battery life, still? That concerns me a lot. If they could make an ARM netbook with a decent battery life, I might be interested, but sadly all current ARM ventures seem to be proprietary, "OMG ANDROID DERP", or worse, both. Or the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's with that certain kind of British accent that replaces "th" sounds with "f"?

It pissed me off in the Portal 2 trailer when the British Sphere was all "oh my goodness I FOUGHT you wah ded"

I don't think they had it in the Sherlock Holmes movie, but they pronounced "suit" as "shoot" which is weird.

One begins to twist fearies to shoot facts... maybe they did have the th->f thing. Fing.
That's a feature of a number of London accents, most famously east London and cockney, I think.

Uh, but about netbooks... Don't they have crap battery life, still? That concerns me a lot. If they could make an ARM netbook with a decent battery life, I might be interested, but sadly all current ARM ventures seem to be proprietary, "OMG ANDROID DERP", or worse, both. Or the Pandora.
True, and the iPad has turned all those plans to make ARM smartbooks into plans to make damn tablets. Just give me a decent keyboard, damnit! I'm quite tempted to pick up a Toshiba AC100 since it gives you Nvidia graphics, 2xA9 processors at 1GHz, what appears to be a passable keyboard and a netbook screen. Just a shame, as you say, at present it runs Android. I've not been able to find out if you can install alternative OSen on it.

Back