Production Status

EvilDragon said:
Sphinxter said:
EvilDragon said:
svs-57 said:
No comments from OPT :(

<sarcasm>
OMG! OMG! OMG!
No reply within one hour! Those guys really must suck! I would sue them immediately!
They really need to be up 24/7 and rather check these boards to reply!
Bad thing might be that no more Pandoras will be finished since they can't build any when they have to browse the boards all the time... but who cares!
</sarcasm>

Fight rudeness with rudeness. I'm sure victory can be yours but at what cost.

Hmm... it cost me my life :D

Honestly, I'm happy when this all is working fine.... as I'm really worn out lately :/
You should cut down on work seriously.Once i was wondering why i was so tired.I was suffering from exhaustion.Took best part of a week to return to normal.Not healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
conso said:
Maybe some of the ones we can fix ourselves. For the rest: Read up above. As long as no nubs arrive in Texas, we won't get any boards.
OK, so we are actually waiting for the nub-company testing and fixing all nubs, sending them to the board company, the board-company soldering to the 200 boards (they are so fast, it's amazing) they already prepared and then testing those boards. Amazing, with a bit of luck, production might start again in about 2 months.

I always wonder where you guys get your estimations from.
The company is already testing the nubs, so the first batch might even arrive in Texas within this week.
Why do you know there are 200 boards ready and just waiting for nubs? I didn't tell any number, in fact, I don't know since I haven't asked anyone yet.
Could be 200, could be 500, could be 1000.

I believe Conso got his estimations from your previous posting?

There are a couple hundred boards already produced, just waiting for the nubs to be soldered to them (which doesn't take long).

Couple=2.

I believe the main issue is that the Pandora Project in some respects presents itself as a commercial concern, and in others as a moderate sized hobby project. I believe this confuses customers who are not familiar with hobbyist or open source projects. They expect sales service similar to larger electronic suppliers.

There is no reason why this cannot be so, however the Pandora Project has not yet achieved what most companies would call mass production. The project is in Beta testing and the first batch of customers are actually Beta testers.

Any production line, however small needs to run for a while to iron out any kinks. That is what is happening right now. Most of the major problems have been ironed out, and without any future major incidents the production should become smoother and more predictable.

The only thing keeping production rates low after this point will be manpower and logistics.

Manpower is simply ensuring that there are regular and competent staff to build the units. My personal view is four people working 4 days a week on construction and 1 day dealing with returns, shipping and so on.

Logistics is ensuring that there are no stoppages due to waiting on components, and the secret is anticipating this as accurately as possible.

I am sorry.

I am no longer able to maintain the Pandora Production website due to problems that are personal.

If anyone wishes to take over, I will hand over the login to the website.

email - pandoraproduction@yahoo.com if you are interested.

http://www.pandoraproduction.comze.com

I'm supposedly 450-550. I _really_ thought I'd have my Pandora by now and am getting quite frustrated, but there isn't anything to be done about it. But if it isn't sent in this first batch of 1000 cases I might have some kind of breakdown!

How many have been built?
I've been gone for awhile now.
Last count I remember was around 600 - 800 units.

I'm supposedly 450-550. I _really_ thought I'd have my Pandora by now and am getting quite frustrated, but there isn't anything to be done about it. But if it isn't sent in this first batch of 1000 cases I might have some kind of breakdown!
[/quote]

I FEEL YOUR PAIN -
Spare a thought for those of us that are just over 1000 (or is that 10,000?) whenever i think of my order number the words; written on, paper, and not worth seem to spring to mind.

Im sure i can speak for others when i say that most of us here fully appreciate and understand, that the team are working their proverbial socks off to get our Pandora's to us as fast as possible (increased QC etc) - but that doesn't really help mitigate the frustration felt in not having definative (or at least more regular (RELIABLE!) updates, even if it's just to say "nothing much to report")

If some people here aren't inclined to sound off about their frustrations (or if they don't have any) Great - bully for them!! (perhaps they would like to share their endurance skills with the rest of us) but don't castigate others for having a rant (i would suggest that in the vast majority of cases, it isn't an attack on the team merely an outlet for some pent up anxiety, and let's face it if you can't blow off some steam here - then where?) despite what others may tell you it definately IS good for the soul (or maybe that is just because i live in the UK, especially in light of recent events)

Anyway that's my lot - peace to everybody, (especially the team Keep on truckin' im sure most of us here are behind you, even if it sometimes doesn't sound like it!)

breakdown is usual crap

It looks like its going to take longer and longer

Before anyone says it I am giving my order number (900-1000) on 1st july to anyone who can paypal my £217 from a few years back - I need the money to get something I can code off now instead of 2+ months

No I am not making a profit from this

By the same token its better to get a refund in cash and change order details (name and address as I bet it would take over 2 months to get a refund in a timely fashion, this way OP dont lose money and someone gets my order place coz I aint waiting any longer)

EvilDragon said:
Caine said:
This is why I believe you guys will fail to ship all 4000 units this year. I challenge you to prove me wrong :)

Oh, I'm pretty sure we can manage that :)

I wouldn't get people's hopes up like that.

At the current rate of production, you're already into next year. Each day waiting for parts causes the current rate to go down, and pushes #4000 later into next year. No facts have been disclosed that would allow one to believe that this trend will be reversed.

Chairman_Now said:
Each day waiting for parts causes the current rate to go down, and pushes #4000 later into next year. No facts have been disclosed that would allow one to believe that this trend will be reversed.
Except that at the moment, there is no current rate of production. The rate ED quoted was 50 per day, once they get going again. (with a team half the size of the team they actually have)

If they had carried on with the process they started a month ago, there would be more boards with faulty nubs already attached - and those boards would then need to be fixed, adding cost and time. As soon as more PCBs arrive, the production rate will go back up. By delaying for a couple of weeks, they have sped up the next 3000.

p.s. it's worth waiting for :)

So they started building Pandoras around 20th May, its now the 29th and roughly 700 have been made, but with a delay in when they will actually start building them again. No word on how the cases are going, delays on the boards being made due to the nubs.

Such high hopes when stuff started arriving but everything has slowed down, great for the people who have them already, depressing for the ones who dont. If there was more official word there wouldnt be need for whinging threads like this. We ask questions and get slightly shitty replies saying its been answered, but the answers are generally not a direct answer imo.

mali said:
^ The answers can be found inside this thread right now ;)
Actually, that's part of the problem. Unless you follow these forums day a night there simply is no news concerning production. It's frustrating to say the least. Besides, you can't expect anyone to read all posts hoping to find a half cryptic message.

Arg... didn't want to post in this thread... look what you made me do ;)

Zotty said:
Actually, that's part of the problem. Unless you follow these forums day a night there simply is no news concerning production. It's frustrating to say the least. Besides, you can't expect anyone to read all posts hoping to find a half cryptic message.
Anyone can revive the Quotes Thread if needed. I thought most people prefer the stalker now.

I'm at the end of the line and I'm not getting stressed. Maybe when my unit gets close to shipping, the excitement will kick in. Maybe I'll want to cancel then? I'm happy a few units have shipped, because that got my parents off my back about this being a scam. Even the (plural of Pandora) being sold on eBay doesn't really upset me, because if the team were experiencing financial troubles, they could sell some to stay alive. Once again, parents and my back. But I'm not really worried about the operation going bankrupt, because I think the community would find a way to keep the project going.

I'm developing something for the system, and I want to get most of the conceptual stuff ironed out before I receive mine. I know I'd be playing video games if I got it right now. Plus, I won a netbook recently, so one of my desires has been temporarily satisfied. It's not as nice as I expect the Pandora to be, but I'll take what I can get.

Wow, I feel really optimistic right now.

Back