[Ported Game] Duke Nukem 3D - EDuke32

By the way Mcobit, while the mouse sensitivity can indeed be parametered in the settings of the game, it seems that it only works on the right nubs (aiming) and not the left nub (moving). Moving is still exceedingly fast - is there a way to make it a little more balanced, or do I have to go in the Pandora options to modify the sensitivity settings for the Pandora mouse itself?

The left nub is set to joystick.

You can alter those settings in the game, too :)

Go to joystick axes and play with the scale settings.

Got a nice soundfont and compiled Timidity to package into the pnd.

Strangely playing a midi from commandline orks great, but EDuke doesn't seem to pick up timidity :( .

Need to investigate further.

Strangely playing a midi from commandline orks great, but EDuke doesn't seem to pick up timidity :( .
Oh the joys of timidity is it like open duno all over again?

They should be stored in the eduke32.cfg in the .eduke32 folder in the appdata/duke3d directory.

Oh the joys of timidity is it like open duno all over again?
Oh, as it is played with sdl, there is no soundstuttering or anything. Just need to find out how to tell sdl that it should look for the timidity libs in the pnd, not on the nand I think.

Does these Midi libs that you want to add sound better than the larger ~38Meg sets from the Timidy PND?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, as it is some soundbank for Rock and roll.

I could also make it optional. Just download the soundfont file and place it into appdata and it will be used along with the timidity installer.

Can those custom grp you have maybe only be used with the gl port of duke or with the hrp?

As you can read, F_slim had some problems wirh adding mods, too.

Or maybe they are using some assembler or other code in the grp, that only runs on x86 PCs?
Well they seem to work for the most part its not crashing the problem is that the episode names arent showing up in the episode selection screen. In order to play them i have to go to user map option and manully select them and sometimes the enemys dont move. Other than that they seem to work.

this might have to do with useing the autoload folder because i think its for useing mods not loading grp's and i still cant get any grps to load with editing the eduke32.cfg

A joyous offering. 800x480 rendering with aspect correction, and very good mouse support (yes that's important for me :p ). Supports up to five mouse buttons and the wheel on the VX Nano. A proper Duke experience on a pocket device FTW!

Ok, got it to use a freshly compiled SDL_mixer with fluidsynth and soundfontsupport.

Now the bad news: It is toooooo slow. It stutters like mad. I read, that fluidsynth makes heavy use of floating point math, which seems to kill it. :(

I won't upload it as it is unplayable with fluidsynth.

So for the competition, this is my entry as it is on the repo right now.

It stutters like mad. I read, that fluidsynth makes heavy use of floating point math, which seems to kill it. :(
Maybe you compiled it with soft float? I don't see any float or ARMv7 instructions in a disassembly of your current release, you must be compiling them wrong.

There is no fluidsynth in the current release.

It was an experiment I did here, but didn't release.

I compiled libfluidsynth with all optimisations. I think I forgot to add the flags to the eduke makefile, but it doesn't matter performance wise.

Edit: milkshake and I patched that dune2 remake with fluidsynth also and had the same results, so no dice.

SDL_mixer itself uses a very outdated fork of timidity, that can't handle soundfont (sf2) files.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about attempting to add a timidity++ module to SDL_mixer soon for my android app, as I can confirm that fluidsynth is one of the most inefficient midi players in existence. Licensing would be an issue as timidity++ is GPL while SDL is LGPL...

Hey mcobit will we get a gl render option as I hate the fake mouse look around affect of the software renderer ;-)

Back