• Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
ECHO   f   Greek Mythology

Means "echo" from the word for the repeating reflected sound, which derives from Greek ηχη (eche) "sound"
Was mentioned already (by me).
I actually quite like this. The new system will be a lot like the old one but with slight changes. Most of which you can't see.

Certainly better than the other options. At least it has a meaning :)
Pyrrha (or Pyra) also has a meaning:

In Greek mythology, Pyrrha (Greek: Πύρρα) was the daughter of Epimetheus and Pandora and wife of Deucalion.

[...]

In Latin the word pyrrhus means red from the Greek adjective πυρρός, purrhos, i.e. "flame coloured", "the colour of fire" or simply "red" or "reddish".[1] Pyrrha was evidently named after her red hair. Horace (Ode, i. 5) and Ovid describes her as red haired.

The daughter of Pandora, whose name is related to fire (-breathing dragons). What more do you want?

Nothing but a case with a red-haired, beautifull woman as an relief on it kind of "Jugendstil" :)

So no guess what's my vote ...

(did I mentionied that I LOVE red-heads?)

Last edited by a moderator:
ECHO   f   Greek Mythology

Means "echo" from the word for the repeating reflected sound, which derives from Greek ηχη (eche) "sound"
Was mentioned already (by me).
I actually quite like this. The new system will be a lot like the old one but with slight changes. Most of which you can't see.

Certainly better than the other options. At least it has a meaning :)
Pyrrha (or Pyra) also has a meaning:

In Greek mythology, Pyrrha (Greek: Πύρρα) was the daughter of Epimetheus and Pandora and wife of Deucalion.

[...]

In Latin the word pyrrhus means red from the Greek adjective πυρρός, purrhos, i.e. "flame coloured", "the colour of fire" or simply "red" or "reddish".[1] Pyrrha was evidently named after her red hair. Horace (Ode, i. 5) and Ovid describes her as red haired.

The daughter of Pandora, whose name is related to fire (-breathing dragons). What more do you want?
Something to do with the device or community and not dragons maybe? It's already going to be called dragonbox anyway. That's like calling it Dragonbox Dragon :wacko:

Nothing but a case with a red-haired, beautifull woman as an relief on it kind of "Jugendstil" :)

So no guess what's my vote ...

(did I mentionied that I LOVE red-heads?)
Echo was a hot redhead Nymph, so may be something for you too. ;)

Fits in many ways, partly because she deliberately distracted Hera a lot

and I find my Pandora quiet distracting from other tasks I should attend to.

^^^^^Spelling of it with a 'Y' is trademarked.

My arse would be trademarked also, if it was not my arse.

The device name should not have 'dragon' or any component in it.

None of the names suggested have 'legs'. There is no lead to a future 3rd device.

Miriad is a fail. It is borderline impossible to pronounce in English without it coming out as Myriad.

Of the names listed, Myridon has potential - but is easily confused with Myrmidon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmidon

Which - brings me around to a point...

How about Myrmidon?

It's the name of a Greek hero - following the Greek origins of Pandora.

It's a strong name - possible to pronounce in most languages that I'm familiar with without misinterpretation.

I know you're trying to close this out, but I like "Myrmidon" far more than the rest in the list.

The origin of Myrmidon is not very nice....

Zeus changed Eurymedousa (daughter of Cletor or Achelous) into an ant and then raped her, also impregnating her. As a result, she gave birth to Myrmidon.
So who is Craig and who is ED in this story?

Reactions: moz
None of the names suggested have 'legs'. There is no lead to a future 3rd device.
"Pyrrha" (or "Pyra") would give plenty of options for a "3rd generation" device following the same parent-child naming pattern:

Deucalion and Pyrrha had three sons, Hellen, Amphictyon, Orestheus and three daughters Protogeneia, Pandora II and Thyia.
Granted, Pandora II would be a confusing and bad name for the P3, but I'm sure the other 5 children of Pyrrha can be used as inspiration for successors of the successor. In fact, Pyrrha is an ancestor of about all humans in Greek mythology, so there will be no problem to find descendants further down the line.

It's been said before, amongst others by ED, but names such as pyrrha, miriad or myridon (and to a lesser extent pyragon) are simply bad imho due to spelling. In French i and y are usually pronounced the same. Even English friends were couldn't agree how to pronounce "lychee" ("lee-chee"? "lie-chee"), so for non-native speakers... Frankly, imagine talking to a friend about your sweet new little device:

- Hey, check it out, the new Myridon !

- The Miridon ?

- No, with a y !

- I can't find info for the Mirydon...

I understand ED doesn't want more options (perfectly agree), but I wouldn't mind an option "DragonBox" (nothing else). In the mean time I'll vote Pandragon as it keeps a hint of the Pandora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back