• Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't vote for the openPPAYYRARAAHHLLLALRRAA

how do you spell that? how do you say that? what is it?

The problem with OpenPyra is that it doesn't make sense the way that OpenPandora did. Like, Pandora's box, opening that was actually a thing. Pyra doesn't really have anything that she opens :p Unless you mean like opensource. In my opinion, Pyra flows better than the former, but that's just me :)

Looks like EvilDragon's already made his choice, he's even stuck his picture on the box.

51099S4y%2BFL.jpg

;)

EDIT: Just realised that i'm never going to be able to show my face around here again.  :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, "Pyra" is ahead of "DragonFly" now! If we can get a few more "Miriad" supporters to change their minds to "Pyra", "Pyra" can win this poll :)

1. Dragora (5 votes [2.44%])

2. Miriad (43 votes [20.98%])

3. Myridon (11 votes [5.37%])

4. Pandragon (21 votes [10.24%])

5. Pyragon (32 votes [15.61%])

6. DragonFly (35 votes [17.07%])

7. Pyrrha (21 votes [10.24%])

8. Pyra (37 votes [18.05%])

Wow, the top five has changed completely overnight, with Pyra pretty much coming out of nowhere!

For me it matters how it sounds with the 'Dragonbox' prefix.  We might rarely refer to it as the 'Dragonbox Foobar' in these boards, but that's how it'll be sold, so it needs to sound good.

Significantly, for me that means that 'Dragonbox Dragonfly' doesn't work, or 'Dragonbox Pandragon' - too much repetition.  Of the others, I don't mind 'Dragonbox Miriad', 'Dragonbox Myridon' or 'Dragonbox Pyragon' - having a rhythm of three syllables followed by three syllables works for me.  'Dragonbox Pyra' is okay as well, but for different reasons.

Of those, I tend to prefer Dragonbox Miriad, as even though it's a corruption of 'myriad', it's quite common in English-language advertising at least to make use of misspellings of common words with the intention of referring to the original meaning.  And a myriad of possibilities is exactly what these devices are about.

Oh crap, competition.  Well, Miriad has the number of syllables Dragnbox has.  Dragonbox Miriad, I like that.  Do you like that?

Dragonbox Pyra feel more like, falling off an unexpected ledge.  Pyra also sounds more exclusively female in English.

Well, Miriad has the number of syllables Dragnbox has. Dragonbox Miriad, I like that. Do you like that?
Not really.. the word Miriad seems a bit clumsy to me.

To me Pyra seems like a more stable name and don't see it as a ledge or however you picture it. Also don't see why a Feminine name would be bad.. Hell Pandora was a female Deity.

To be honest I wouldn't consider Pyra to be specifically male or female at all.  Are you associating the name with a specific person or character?  

- Neelix

Would Pyra make us in the community "Pyrates"? :p
:lol: Pyra is definitly the best name.

To me it should be Pyra or OpenPyra or Pyra wathever, Pyra as the main name because Pyra is the daughter of Pandora in mythologie. And there are only one Pyra, the console would be THE Pyra, not like DragonBox which sound like another (cheap) things.

The reasons that i liked "Pandora" is because it was simple, sound good, class, meanful. The reason that I didn't like it was because besides all this, "Pandora" is a name which is used everywhere, so to a device wich is UNIQUE  it is paradoxal to have a name used everywhere. "Pyra" take the advantage of "Pandora" without this disadvantage, it is as simple, sound good, class, meanful(not as), as "Pandora", but because it isn't as hype as "Pandora" some people can't feel it.

But when THE Pyra will be hype, everyone will feel it.

I don't see a good plus to trying to continue a name series.  Starting one, maybe, but if this new device was to primarily be thought of as the new Pandora then there'd be much less reason to run from simply calling it Pandora 2.  Pyra may be the name of some past human with a connection to another past human named Pandora, but nothing pertaining to a massively open purpose portable computer game console comes to mind when I think of that person's history.  I don't think there is an "Oh I get it" to be found.

@Tenka

The good plus is that the name have an history. It's not like you choose "Akzre" even if you think that it sound good, it don't mean nothing, people allways ask what a name mean, it's not an accident that name always mean a thing.

It will be like

"Pyra? that's sound good but... why Pyra, what is Pyra?

-Pyra is Pandora's daughter and the Pyra's forefather was the Pandora

-I see, cool"

If you chose a name that hasn't meaning, you should build the name, give recognition.

If you chose a name that has a meaning you should justify the name, if you can enough that's ok but is your name sound good? if it yes so that's the best circumstance.

if you can't, you should overtop the former meaning that's hard especially if                                                                                                                 it famous. Or make us of it (depend of your meaning)

DragonBox has a weak justification compared to the fame so it should overtop the former meaning wich is (in my opinion) cheap, toys"r"us but strong because it is attached to "Dragon", "Box" and "DragonBall"

Pyra is between "has meaning + way enough justification + sound good" and "hasn't meaning" because less people now who is Pyra.

So you should give recognition to the name but the link with Pandora will be helpful.

Edit

If the series is called the Dragonbox... it'd be neat to have the individual ones named after famous dragons.  :)
:D   Seriously +1

I'm not opposed to naming it after famous Dragons. I like that idea far more than using the Greek term for 10,000 - which translates into US English as, "lots 'n lots".

DragonBox Tiamat sounds great to me.

However, I keep coming back to the idea of emphasizing the Box part of DragonBox instead of the Dragon.

The Pandora and it's successor are all about being more than their size would dictate - the box is bigger on the inside. (Dr. Who Tardis reference.)

DragonBox Tesseract

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract

or...

DragonBox HyperCube

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercube

A Tesseract is a 4th dimensional cube. It is a type of HyperCube. It is commonly represented in 2 dimensions like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:4-cube_t0.svg

Remove the red dots from that picture, make the lines thicker and you have a good logo.

Nice, "Pyra" is ahead of "DragonFly" now! If we can get a few more "Miriad" supporters to change their minds to "Pyra", "Pyra" can win this poll :)
Don't forget the Pyrrha votes which perhaps change to Pyra as the second best choice under thix cricumstances...

Don't forget the Pyrrha votes which perhaps change to Pyra as the second best choice under thix cricumstances...
Except that you can vote for multiple names, so more than probably most people that voted for Pyrrha already have modified their vote to add Pyra…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back