Beta Pndstore

Esn said:
Also do you know what causes this? http://postimage.org/image/y4ehyjhg/

It happens with a number of apps. Pidgin is one, also Audacious, just coming to mind. The old version was downloaded long ago, not from the repo. But for most files like that, it accurately links it to the repo version...

the reason this happens id because the PNDs have different unique pkg/app ID's so they are treat as different items.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just cannot get this to run at all - no .out file in /tmp either. Any ideas what's wrong? I tried mounting the PND and running /mnt/pnd/PNDstore and got an undefined symbol in libpnd.so.1: __cxa_pure_virtual

D.

Dunny: That's a minor bug in libpnd. There are wrapper scripts, called wrapper-PNDstore.sh and wrapper-pndst.sh that get around this. All they do is set LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 before launching the PNDstore executable. So you can execute the wrapper script, or export LD_PRELOAD before launching PNDstore.

Tempel said:
Dunny: That's a minor bug in libpnd. There are wrapper scripts, called wrapper-PNDstore.sh and wrapper-pndst.sh that get around this. All they do is set LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 before launching the PNDstore executable. So you can execute the wrapper script, or export LD_PRELOAD before launching PNDstore.

Aha! It runs. Now, what would be really nice is if it runs from the PND file and not from the terminal - mounting that PND file and doing manually feels very messy indeed.

D.

Oh! I missed the part where you said the PND wasn't running. I assumed you just wanted to mess around with the source.

If the PND's not running and you get no .out file, you'll need to update your pnd_run.sh. That was a bug in one of the older versions of sebt3's beta pnd_run.sh. Installing the latest version should fix it, but let me know if it doesn't.

milkshake said:
Esn said:
Also do you know what causes this? http://postimage.org/image/y4ehyjhg/

It happens with a number of apps. Pidgin is one, also Audacious, just coming to mind. The old version was downloaded long ago, not from the repo. But for most files like that, it accurately links it to the repo version...

the reason this happens id because the PNDs have different unique pkg/app ID's so they are treat as different items.
Ideally, it would be nice if there was an option to check for "duplicates", and if the user agrees that they are a duplicate, from then on PNDstore will treat them as the same program.

Ideally, it would be nice if developers used a consistent package ID schemes. Fortunately, using milkshake's repo will help steer them towards that. So this problem should gradually fix itself. Attempting to heuristically spot duplicates would be messy, though not totally infeasible.

since just about everything is in alphabetical order, why not remove the local one and install the one from the repo? would eliminate duplicates for the most part in an active manner. I think that the duplicates supercede updates too... I'm pretty sure I've had a duplicate and the package version was different for both, but I'll have to look again...

Tempel said:
Ideally, it would be nice if developers used a consistent package ID schemes. Fortunately, using milkshake's repo will help steer them towards that. So this problem should gradually fix itself. Attempting to heuristically spot duplicates would be messy, though not totally infeasible.
Yep. I guilty for some of them :(
I need to clean some more package-id, so there will be a few more duplicate.
But dont worry, next PND will be clean from the begining now ;)

EDIT : wrong quote

I agree with both of the above comments. :)

Attempting to heuristically spot duplicates would be messy, though not totally infeasible.
Every one that I've seen has the exact same title, if that helps... it would be a nice feature, is all I'm saying, although probably of a lower priority than the features of being able to sort by the icon on the left (if a PND is installed or not), of having checkboxes beside PNDs so you can install or uninstall multiple ones at the same time, of being able to sort PNDs by category, and of being able to access the description of a PND by pressing a button. (well, it may be tied with that last one)

The application looks pretty impressive so far, so thanks to everyone involved for their hard work.

Is there any plan to implement categories/sorting and searching in the frontend?

If not, I could probably contribute such a thing. :unsure:

Tom: Those are all on my to-do list, but I won't be making them happen any time soon. My current focus is on making the backend solid for inclusion in HF6, so I haven't touched frontend code for a while. But if you want to try implementing it, I would be incredibly grateful! As a reminder, source is on Github, and I generally keep code organized with this branching model.

Hi, PND Store does not run. please see my output of /tmp/pndrun_pndstore.out:

Code:
{ App start }
[---------------------------------] 
Traceback (most recent call last):   
  File "./PNDstore", line 6, in <module>     
    from pndstore import options   
  File "/mnt/utmp/pndstore/pndstore/options.py", line 6, in <module>     
    import shutil, os, locale ImportError: No module named shutil 
[-------------------------------]
{ App end }

Thanks!

rohmux: Thanks for the report. That looks like a problem with your OS installation. The "shutil" module is a standard Python module, and is included in the Pandora firmware as of hotfix 4. So either you're on an old version of the firmware, or you managed to remove the module from your firmware. Either way, you'll probably need to reflash your firmware with the latest hotfix 5.

Finally, it works and it's awesome.
Reflash needed, even redownload the whole image while the first seemed to have issues (but no errors when flashing).

Thanks again.

New beta here! I'm calling this one version 1.0 because you need to empty the pndstore appdata directory before using (no need anymore)!

Get the 1.0 beta here! Despite the version number jump, there are very few user-facing changes here. But there are some significant backend changes, so I need it abused as best as you can.
  • Updated to fully use repo spec version 3.0. This should make list updating faster and more bandwidth efficient.
  • Made remote list updating much more robust. Not that's it's needed for milkshake's repo, but now I say bring on the hastily-coded alternate repos!
  • Now searches all the directories it should for PNDs, including /media/*/pandora/mmenu.
  • Ctrl+Q can be used to close the GUI.
The repo v3 change required a lot of changes to the backend code. But though I've tested it as best I can, I can't be fully confident in it until it's used for real for a little while. So please keep an eye out for any inconsistencies in the package lists, like if new packages don't appear or installed packages aren't aware of upgrades, since those would be critical failures here.

And to remind you, you need to empty the pndstore appdata directory before using! Expect me to say that a lot in the near future.

If it's really important to empty the appdata folder, maybe the new installation could do that automatically? It's ok when you announce it here, but when you upload this to the repo, some people might update PNDstore directly from PNDstore and therefore never see the instruction.

I just tried this out, and it seems to work well. I'm not sure I noticed any speed increase. I like the new feature of there being checkboxes beside what you want to update, so you don't have to do all of them at once.

Another suggestion for a potential feature: maybe if you're updating a PND, there could be a checkbox for whether you want to archive the old version in some folder such as /pandora/oldpnds. I already do this sometimes (because new versions can be buggy), but it would be a handy feature to have built-in.

actually, the ability to downgrade could be a better option... Since the repo now supports the ability to archive previous versions of PNDs, why not offer the ability to downgrade... so someone who is using the PSX emu can upgrade or downgrade as they see fit for whatever game they choose to play (as this ver. is better than that dep. on which game you're talking about)... also, the ability to directly downgrade a program that may be buggy or lost a feature worth reverting for. Compounding on Esn's suggestion, having the ability to archive local PNDs would be nice too... maybe set a parameter in the config for the folder where you desire your archive to be saved to... something like that.

I did consider suggesting that, but is the "archive" feature actually part of the Repo spec, or is it just something that milkshake's site does by itself? Archiving the ones that are already on your Pandora might save some download time, that's all (most PNDs are pretty small, but not all are).

well the "archive" Idea I had was more like moving the file to another location on the SD card (or allow you to transfer it to a local NAS or something) as opposed to overwriting (or deleting) the pnd that is already there... Also, if PNDstore handled the ability to pick which version of a pnd you wanted to install, you should be able to tick which one(s) you want and possibly give a download size (not necessary, but would be REALLY nice).

Back