Release PNDManager

I know this has been said before, but a universal menu/launcher based on PNDmanager's interface would be awesome.
If you meant making a launcher with Panorama:

(in case you didn't know) Panorama, which PNDManager runs on, was actually initially designed for that purpose. Basically everything needed for doing such launcher is in place. Before making a serious attempt at this (I've made a few prototypes), Panorama should either lose some weight to run alongside any applications (most memory usage is from Qt libs) or launch faster so it can be killed while the app is running.

Qt5 should help with the slimming down, but it's gonna take a while to release, after which I'll need to port Panorama and any UIs to it. Also since PNDManager is apparently making its way to the firmware in .next, I probably should stick to the Qt version available there.

If you meant making a launcher with appearance/functionality similar to PNDManager:

I agree :p
I think I meant both :)

peelie: Try removing "libpndman" appdata from all sd cards and resync. You may have old incompatible remnants in the database. I have two of the same packages installed and can't reproduce that issue.

Nice! Seems to work nicely for me.

Remark: you need to sync after editing settings.cfg, otherwise it will get stuck when you try to view comments.

Now it would be nice to have an easier way to input login credentials - it especially sucks that you cannot easily copy the API key from firefox (for some reason it does not want to select that text, I had to go to the HTML source).

Minor things:

Try typing some comment text and then go back with left DPAD to edit the text - for some reason, the text wobbles vertically when you do that.

The right bracket in "Comments (N)" is always covered with the guihint.

I just entered a comment for FlipClock from PNDManager, and it shows up twice (in PNDManager). On the repo website I see it only once though; restarting PNDManager solved it.

Thanks for the bug reports _wb_, I'll fix those in the next release. I still need to think about a good way to input the credentials without cluttering the UI. I have some ideas that I want to try out, but it won't be in the next release at least.

I noticed the same thing with copying the API key from repo. Very annoying.

Maybe something like milkshake does on the repo would work. Just click on a small login button and a layer drops down where you can put in the data.

peelie: Try removing "libpndman" appdata from all sd cards and resync. You may have old incompatible remnants in the database. I have two of the same packages installed and can't reproduce that issue.

tried that but no dice, so decided just to upgrade and that works of course :) , impressed with the multiple upgrade, though it didn't like it with large file like cli love and had to upgrade that individually.

Great work, B-Zar! Thank you so much!

One idea for a slight improvement:

PNDStore used to show up right in the main menu of XFCE, in section along with "Log Out", "Switch GUI" and "About Xfce".

Now that PNDManager can fully replace PNDStore, I suggest letting it appear at this place, instead of PNDStore.

It's nice to have it accessible at such a central position.

Daniel

you're right!

After some investigation I found out, that this seems to be done in file /etc/xdg/op/menu/xfce-applications.menu.

At least there the current layout of the nenu is reflected.

However, adding the line

Code:
        <Filename>pndmanager#0.desktop</Filename>

directly after

Code:
        <Filename>op_pndstore.desktop</Filename>

does NOT change anything in the menu. I wonder, if this file is only used as a source for some other configuration file, and something needs to be triggered to write the real configuration file from the contents of xfce-applications.menu.

Even after a reboot, the menu doesn't change.

Any idea?

Daniel

Oh, so I should delete the old stuff in appdata first, to see the comments? I already wondered why it doesn't shown anything and only the loading spin thing forever. ^^"

PND Manager also crashed my entire system once after trying to update the PND Manager over PND Manager. But I guess it was because the Download was broken, like so often from the repo. I even have this issue over Firefox Download Manager. But finaly I was able to download the Update correctly and besides the comments, PND Manager works fine. :) These problems with milkyhelper ranking and it's gazillion stars are also gone, very nice.

hey, now it is able to download contents without the need to stop/restart them several times !! That's great :)

Anyone who thinks the updated bottom bar is stupid, please comment.

I'd be surprised if there weren't at least some people who think it is 'unfitting'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you upload these updates directly to the repo? It's ironic that I have to go through the trouble of manually downloading the PND file and putting it in the right spot...

_wb_: I wasn't able to reproduce the duplicate comment bug. I there anything special you do when posting a comment that results in a double? Also I post the beta versions here first to catch any mistakes I may have missed in my own testing before plaguing the community with a broken build. Once I get enough feedback I move to release.

Back