Please, More Delays!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't have any problem with waiting. If it takes until the holidays to get it that is fine with me. Not that I'm saying I wouldn't like it sooner, but if that what it takes to have the hardware in order then I'm all for it. It looks like it's pretty much ironed out though, so we won't have to wait. I'm still using my GP2X so I'm in no rush.

Thanx,
Stan

chad78 said:
If this thing isn't out by August, I'm jumping ship. There are plenty of other things that are coming out that will be just as good / better for the same price / cheaper. Nvidia is leading the pack with those. In 6 months, the Pandora won't be leading anything - it will be following. It might still be the only system with game controls - but, god, how hard is it to plug in a USB controller or buy and mod a PSP? If this isn't out by Sept. Waiting a year is not worth it. And, yeah, since the initial release dates were Feb / Mar of 08 - six months from the August-at-the-soonest release date now would make it over a year delayed.
Considering that NVidia's part isn't faster than the OMAP (Keep in mind, they're using an ARM11, not a Cortex)- they're not leading the pack save with possibly a better GPU. I'll say it again for everyone- a faster GPU, with higher fillrate doesn't do you JACK if you don't have a CPU to keep it filled up. Sitting idle does you not a lick of good. Having NVidia in the space is good. What they have right now isn't competitive with what we're hoping to see with the Pandora- honest. It's about half as powerful on everything but the GPU, and it remains to be seen if the GPU's any better than the SGX we've got in hand on our SOC.

Having said this, there's some potential competitors that might show on the horizon in about 8-10 months from now that might fill the role- but nobody out there right now has the same story that I know of and I do track the market and have a few connections.

At some point, you've got to stop tinkering and ship the damn thing.

Uh, Chad, they had a smallish setback that pushed it back a month with the shipper effing up boards (mine, amongst them...). We'd be on track, I suspect, if they hadn't have had that little problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
I've got a conference in September, and I was really looking forward to showing off my Pandora - but I might just have to "show off" something else. An iPhone 3G, a N810, a Nvidia Tegra 650... Something.
Craig - did you hear...? Chad has a conference in September!! Stop dilly-dallying and get your skates on or you'll lose a sale :p

PS Chad - what kind conference is this that you'll be impressing the other delegates with your portable hardware?

I have to agree with Chad in regards to the possibility of competitors emerging. For different reasons, the Nvidia Tegra has to be considered a solid competitor with it's own advantages. Forgetting the graphics chip - the Tegra features HDMI output, with early models capable of putting out 720P video, and later (larger?) devices able to handle 1080P.

If the Pandora's delayed too long, more details about the Tegra devices will emerge that may tempt other users like me. People have to consider that when this device was announced, the release was supposed to be Spring of 2008. Though no official dates were provided - you have to consider that a significant setback with respect to release.

dak said:
I think it is in everyone best interest that this project be play tested and refined as much as possible. Its not like Microsoft or Apple is coming out with a similar gadget to compete. If Craig suddenly said the Pandora would come out six months from now and would be $200 more, I would gleefully wait for conceivably the greatest gadget ever. We must remember this project was started because all the other companies were "doing it wrong". Just the prospect that someone will do it right has me very excited. So please, everyone involved, take your time. The Pandora deserves it.
You have got to be kidding me.
A ) I am not as rich as you. In fact I am already doing a lot of preparation just to pay $330 for something I will use for playing with the OMAP 35xx.

B ) Already the shipping date is roughly August. If its 6 more months late, a variety of new mobile devices will be out and there is no reason to stick to the Pandora when I can have fun with some other system.

As Chad said, at some point of time you just have to ship. And at some price, you just have to say no to price increases. If you have that much extra money, I know a couple of good charity organizations.

Considering that NVidia's part isn't faster than the OMAP (Keep in mind, they're using an ARM11, not a Cortex)- they're not leading the pack save with possibly a better GPU. I'll say it again for everyone- a faster GPU, with higher fillrate doesn't do you JACK if you don't have a CPU to keep it filled up. Sitting idle does you not a lick of good. Having NVidia in the space is good. What they have right now isn't competitive with what we're hoping to see with the Pandora- honest. It's about half as powerful on everything but the GPU, and it remains to be seen if the GPU's any better than the SGX we've got in hand on our SOC.

Having said this, there's some potential competitors that might show on the horizon in about 8-10 months from now that might fill the role- but nobody out there right now has the same story that I know of and I do track the market and have a few connections.

Hmm btw I hear Qualcomm has a chip called Snapdragon that incorporates AMD's Imageon ES 2.0 capable graphics core?

randomhack said:
Hmm btw I hear Qualcomm has a chip called Snapdragon that incorporates AMD's Imageon ES 2.0 capable graphics core?
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/01/10/n...use-snapdragon/

If they deliver the things, I'll be concerned. They're the only one that's actually got the Cortex series in their SOC plans for this spin of things. IF they get the thing taped out (not having cores to demo and claiming they're prototypes, when they're not doesn't inspire confidence...) in a timely manner, and IF they get the drivers going they might have something to be "concerned" about.

To be sure, they're one of the ones I was alluding to- but without silicon when they demoed last means they're at least 6 months behind where TI is right now with their stuff, hence the comment I made on the subject.

Based on the latest Blog post, I should be seeing my board here shortly and we probably are more on track for a one month later release than planned timeframe. I'll know more when the MK0 lands in my hands... ;)

andyB911 said:
PS Chad - what kind conference is this that you'll be impressing the other delegates with your portable hardware?

An Internet conference. - no, not a conference that takes place on the Internet - a conference about the Internet.

Svartalf said:
Uh, Chad, they had a smallish setback that pushed it back a month with the shipper effing up boards (mine, amongst them...). We'd be on track, I suspect, if they hadn't have had that little problem.
The OP of this thread wasn't talking about small set backs - he is asking for *MORE* delays to tinker with shit. No. No more tinkering. Get it working and get it out the door. No more polls asking would you be willing to wait for feature X - no more can we add option Y - no more well, there's coming out with a bigger display in 2 months....

Screw it. It's fine the way it is, ship the damn thing.

chad78 said:
The OP of this thread wasn't talking about small set backs - he is asking for *MORE* delays to tinker with shit. No. No more tinkering. Get it working and get it out the door. No more polls asking would you be willing to wait for feature X - no more can we add option Y - no more well, there's coming out with a bigger display in 2 months....

Screw it. It's fine the way it is, ship the damn thing.
I agree. It's like sending a kid off to college. Time to let go.

And Chad, I think I smell a YouTube video idea! :p

dak said:
I think it is in everyone best interest that this project be play tested and refined as much as possible. Its not like Microsoft or Apple is coming out with a similar gadget to compete. If Craig suddenly said the Pandora would come out six months from now and would be $200 more, I would gleefully wait for conceivably the greatest gadget ever. We must remember this project was started because all the other companies were "doing it wrong". Just the prospect that someone will do it right has me very excited. So please, everyone involved, take your time. The Pandora deserves it.
can't you guys recognize a troll when you see one? the opinions expressed are to get people riled up. there's no other reason for him to post this.

magicman5421 said:
dak said:
can't you guys recognize a troll when you see one? the opinions expressed are to get people riled up. there's no other reason for him to post this.

Successful troll is successful.
but honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if some people agreed.
not that i do, but..

those who agree are fanatics and should be burned at the stake.
/angry
but seriously, many people have said it, there has to be a time when it just ships even though there are small bugs.

I really don't see the "bugs".
There are minor problems, but honestly i think its likely they will not be crippling for the system. We have to consider that as of yet, there are no completed Pandora, as far as i know. Lacking analog clicking will not cripple the system. It never being released will.

Maybe some people are happy to go and jump ship for 1 of the supposed 'competitors' if the pandora doesnt turn up soon, but can someone please remind me which one of these is mainly focused towards gaming with PROPER controls?

If you really feel the need to go, you certainly won't be missed.

chad78 said:
dak said:
If Craig suddenly said the Pandora would come out six months from now and would be $200 more, I would gleefully wait

No way in hell I'm waiting 6 months and paying almost twice as much.

If this thing isn't out by August, I'm jumping ship. There are plenty of other things that are coming out that will be just as good / better for the same price / cheaper. Nvidia is leading the pack with those. In 6 months, the Pandora won't be leading anything - it will be following. It might still be the only system with game controls - but, god, how hard is it to plug in a USB controller or buy and mod a PSP? If this isn't out by Sept. Waiting a year is not worth it. And, yeah, since the initial release dates were Feb / Mar of 08 - six months from the August-at-the-soonest release date now would make it over a year delayed.

At some point, you've got to stop tinkering and ship the damn thing.
I doubt Craig would want to postpone the release just for the fun of it. If there is a delay, it has a reason and it seems to me that he is not the one to be blamed now. If it was Sony, you would act like a good boy and wait, but because it is a guy who has been part of this community, takes people's opinions into consideration and keeps us informed about the news, you feel the urge to show your "rightful exasperation". It is not like I would want to wait a day more than necessary and embrace the news of delays with joy, yet exclamations like "If it is not released by then, I will buy this and that and you will see Craig!" is childish and only a tongue sticked out is what you are missing at the moment (or maybe you are not). Either wait for the device to be published, as waiting and discussing is also part of the whole experience, or buy something else and be finally satisfied. Your threats/comments are not going to make the production faster anyway.

There will always be critics no matter what CraigX does. If he ships early there will be posts of "pandora sux" and "hardware too flaky" if the hardware has issues. If he waits until the hardware is 100% with good software support some people who are too impatient will lose interest and flame others and bugger off. You can't win. Just ignore the doubters and stick to the plan I say - have the courage to stick to your convictions.

WhiteFalcon said:
I doubt Craig would want to postpone the release just for the fun of it. If there is a delay, it has a reason and it seems to me that he is not the one to be blamed now. If it was Sony, you would act like a good boy and wait, but because it is a guy who has been part of this community, takes people's opinions into consideration and keeps us informed about the news, you feel the urge to show your "rightful exasperation". It is not like I would want to wait a day more than necessary and embrace the news of delays with joy, yet exclamations like "If it is not released by then, I will buy this and that and you will see Craig!" is childish and only a tongue sticked out is what you are missing at the moment (or maybe you are not). Either wait for the device to be published, as waiting and discussing is also part of the whole experience, or buy something else and be finally satisfied. Your threats/comments are not going to make the production faster anyway.

First of all - if it was Sony, and they had promised a device to be released in Feb / Apr - which got pushed back to June / July - which got pushed back to August / Sept - which, (again, read the first post, which is what I'm responding to), got delayed for another 6 months.... If it were Sony, you can believe, I'd be on Digg, Engadget, my own blog, and possibly YouTube and other places, calling Sony out on it. In fact, if you care to google for my username and ps3 you might find evidence of that.

Secondly, my rightful exasperation was at the suggestion we delay it for more tweaking. To hell with tweaking. Get it working and get it out the door. I mean, within a week of "no major delays" we get "um... would you mind waiting if we got the best super awesome nubs in the universe?" YES! Yes I do mind. You can say that Craig never set a date all you want - just search the forums, read the Wiki, read openpandora.org's wayback machine - there have been plenty of dates set - and plenty of delays. I understand stuff comes up. I understand it's not easy mass producing an electronics device. Granted - but purposeful delays just to mess with it some more? No way in hell.

As far as my "threat" - I said it wasn't a threat. I said, and still repeat, I know my one sale or not sale isn't going to matter either way. But it is simply a fact that I can't / won't wait forever for this thing. It's not because it's a guy in the community - it's because I have other things to do with my money. It's because things that I need this for are time sensitive. And that's not just a matter of "showing it off" - I mentioned that part because it's the part that might matter to the makers of the Pandora. Not that my glowing endorsement matters - but having a bunch of tech geeks - many of which with disposable income - finding out about your product is always a good thing. Heck - people pay thousands of dollars to have someone show off their products at these things. But I need it to use while I am attending lectures, classes, etc.. It's 12-hour long days of non-stop tech talk. I don't know of a laptop with a 12-hour lifespan while in full wifi use, do you? I certainly don't own one. But the Pandora has a 10-hour life span, right? And that's the minimum. So....

I've been ready to buy this thing since I first read about it.... months and months ago. No more delays. Ship it and I'll buy it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back