Release PicoDrive revival (1.9x)

Outstanding job as usual Notaz. I just tested Night Trap 32X CD and it is working perfectly (being playing for a couple of hours now - really wierd game :) ).
However, Corpse Killer 32X CD doesnt´seem to recognize any input (none of the buttons I´m pressing seems to be working) so I´m stuck at the "Start Game" screen. Am I missing something here? Thanks!
^Wasn't Corpse Killer 32X one that required a light gun for gameplay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again Notaz, your the best.

Sadly, my Pandora in on the injured list(LCD cable finally went bad) and I have no idea when I might be getting it fixed, as the parts I need are out of stock and I have no idea when that may change. 

With upgrade N64 emulation coming soon, and updates to the awesome Picodrive, the wait for parts is going to be hard :D

Chris

However, Corpse Killer 32X CD doesnt´seem to recognize any input (none of the buttons I´m pressing seems to be working) so I´m stuck at the "Start Game" screen. Am I missing something here? Thanks! 
It does that on real hardware too when 2 gamepads are connected, you have to disconnect second one (in PD, set input device 2 to "none").

Perhaps it assumes one of them to be a light gun (should support those someday too, yeah..)

I've added lightgun support to PCSX and there hasn't been much feedback on it. Is anyone using that feature? I don't even know if it still works.

This is great!  Looking forward to trying this out.

I noticed a problem when trying to clone your git repo.  It looks like you might have forgot to push some changes in the cpu/cyclone submodule.

Unable to checkout '590d780f20871b29fdc803bd2c74b046fd2d0f28' in submodule path 'cpu/cyclone'

Sorry, this may have been reported already, but I just noticed a minor glitch in Knuckles Chaotix 32x - in training mode, after level select and single/two player select there's a screen called 'player select' which is character select. As you scroll through the menu it's failing to clear the screen. Not a big issue since even if it were emulated perfectly that game would be borderline unplayable, but it's an easy to reproduce bug hopefully.

I've also noticed the 'reset' option failing to work on that game on occasion, though now I've tried it again I can't reproduce it. I'm running at 1.05GHz on a 1GHz pandora fyi, which so far seems to be stable for all purposes.

It does that on real hardware too when 2 gamepads are connected, you have to disconnect second one (in PD, set input device 2 to "none").

Perhaps it assumes one of them to be a light gun (should support those someday too, yeah..)
You are right (as usual :) ) Awesome! I´ll try the lightgun on PCSX.

Thanks for this great emu Notaz. I used this all the on the GP2X many moons ago and am now using this on my new Pandora! It'sgreat to see so many improvements over the last version of Picodrive I used.

I have one question relating to the Master System side of things. I know this wasn't supported on the GP2X versions but I'm wondering if it has been on the Pandora version .... that being "Master System FM Sound" emulation (the Yamaha ym2413 chip that was inside the Mark 3 sound module & the Japanese version of the Master System). A few European released games were programmed to take advantage of this FM chip. R-Type & Wonderboy Monster World are two that spring to mind, although I know there's about 30+ games that used the chip.

Does this new Pandora version emulate this FM sound chip? If not, would it be difficult to implement?

(Not sure how to embed a Youtube vid, so here's a link to some Master System R-type music in all it's FM glory!)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hnSI169TCoE?feature=oembed

The FM chip is inside the Mark III system, that was release in Japan only.

Very few games (and emulator) support it. Meka does (but the sound is not it's strong point sadly).

The GP2X emulator "AlexKidd2x" did support the FM sound. As I'm coming from the GP2X to Pandora it's going to be one of those little things that I would miss. Having FM sound on Picodrive would be the icing on the cake .... at least for me!

Although there are around 40 games if memory serves rightly, there are enough of the the system's "gems" amongst them to possibly warrant it's inclusion. Ultimately though it's down to Notaz as to whether it happens!

After Burner, California Games, Double Dragon, Fantasy Zone 2 & 3, Outrun, R-Type, Shinobi, Wonderboy In Monsterland ..... some of the best games on the system that are FM sound enabled.

Thank you so much notaz, greatly appreciated.

Edit: can the emu be used to load just the sound files, as i have quite alot of those, and remastering to flac is wasteful.

Hello folks  :) .   Just got a TV Out cable, and for some reason, this version of Picodrive it goes on the screen in black and white.  Anybody else having this problem?  Version1.80 didn't do that.  Also do I need a special bios to play 32X CD, or do you use the regular Sega CD one?  Can't get Corpse Killer to work, although that game was alwaystough to get to run on an emulator.   

Have you updated your firmware fully? There was a few updates when you use Update OS feature dealing with the TV scripts..  I think this version of Picodrive will swap to the scaler layer automatically as it's needed.. I think it makes assumptions of what your configuration is currently set to and I think the latest updates help with that.. 

Back