Picodrive 1.80

Hey guys,

i just made a video of picodrive (using my mobile) to show you the diffrence in settings with ffdshow, unfortunatly the diffrences are not that very noticeable when making a video but when viewing it in real life you would see them. You can however notice the diffrences if you put the youtube movie fullscreen... when i turn off and on the ffdshow settings... on the menu you can easily see what i'm getting at (with the red bar), i used a little blur + sharpen filter and resized everything to hd res... along with a deinterlace filter etc

here is the movie..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrneRdHkbBU[/youtube]

PS. if you want to use picodrive with tv out, get either gmenu2x or picklelauncher to launch a rom for Picodrive, that way you don't get a messed up screen in the rom selector ... cheers

I don't see the goal of your things
Better to play directly with a pc emulator like Gens!
Finaly the Caanoo TV-Out is more gadget than usefull.

Azerty16 said:
I don't see the goal of your things
Better to play directly with a pc emulator like Gens!
Finaly the Caanoo TV-Out is more gadget than usefull.

to be honest i don't understand why people would play with the caanoo on the television set either. my point is NOT to use it on a pc screen but on a television for those people who have problems

this is is what i showed :
caanoo -> pc video capture card -> program that supports ffdshow to mess with filters to improve image quality -> pc monitor

what people should do is :
caanoo -> pc video capture card -> program that supports ffdshow to mess with filters to improve image quality -> Television using HDMI calbe

the point i'm getting at is that people just hook up the caanoo directly to a tv which gives you way too less options to improve image quality (only the options of the television set) if you put a pc between them you can improve every aspect of it (using ffdshow)...

but then again if people own a pc why would they play it using the caanoo instead of with a pc ... (i have no need for tv out just showing what's possible)

this doesn't only apply to caanoo though you can use the same options for like watching crappy divx / xvid movies on a big tv screen.. if you use ffdshow to upscal to hd format (1920x1200) with a couple of extra filters, your image quality of that movie is way better and far more aggreable to watch the movie on a tv screen. Most people just use some divx player or hook it up to their tv without playing with such options. a for example 640x480 movie would look like crap on it without extra filters... most tv's do the upscaling themselves and just stretch and don't give many options

but then again same question remains, why not just watch it on the pc directly instead of a television set

the video did not show this but a screenshot does, this is how it actually looks when not using ffdshow on my video capture card and the gp2x tv out cable :

http://img301.imageshack.us/i/withoutffdshow.jpg/

and this is with ffdshow, (i overdid the blurring though, still looking for the optimal settings)

http://img222.imageshack.us/i/withffdshow.jpg/

about the usefullness :
it is usefull to dev's to show of their work that's about the only reason i'm using it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about anyone else, but I can't get Sonic 3 & Knuckles to save my games. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, were they able to solve it?

jutley said:
any ideas how to compress cega cd files down?
Bit late here, but there's a utility with previous versions of Picodrive called 'bin_to_cso_mp3' which converts .bin/.cue Sega CD images to .cso/.mp3. FMV games don't compress much, but sprite-based games with lots of CD audio can compress to about 10%!

Go to notaz's site and download Picodrive 1.56 to get the utility:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/pico.php

The readme file explains everything, you need to get a couple of third-party utilities (links in readme) and a little bit of console line experience is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else having trouble with NBA 97? Sound works fine in the intro screen until you get to the menu, the sound shuts off. When you play games it is still muted.

And also, during games, where it is supposed to display the player's name it displays mutombo.

Something also strange is that the mutombo glitch shows up in the caanoo snes emulator

Back