Picodrive 1.80

Excellent emu, but I'm still getting problems with key mapping. For example, if I swap the A and B buttons for Populous 2 and save the key config for that game - when I load a game directly afterwards, it remembers the key config for Populous 2 and also adds the default key config. So in the key config menu, MD button A = both wiz button A and X - and MD button B = both A and X.

First, the obligatory thanks to you for Picodrive :)

I have recently tried to play Herzog Zwei using my Wiz. I've never really tried the game before and had Picodrive 1.56 loaded on my SD. The player's sprite is not being drawn, even using all 3 different render methods, no idle loop patching, 5 versions of the ROM, etc etc. I tried with Picodrive 1.80 and still had no luck. I noticed through searching that this problem was once corrected, but now seems to have regressed.

A pause button for Master System would be great, several games need it to access maps/inventories etc.

Any chance it could be added please?

joeycaruzo said:
Nice emulator ;) i have a problem... the sound on sonic cd stops after some minutes of playing :huh:
It doesn't like your mp3s, you need to have them encoded as 44kHz stereo CBR, preferably 128kbps.

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
joeycaruzo said:
Nice emulator ;) i have a problem... the sound on sonic cd stops after some minutes of playing :huh:
It doesn't like your mp3s, you need to have them encoded as 44kHz stereo CBR, preferably 128kbps.

I was using 192kbps,that is the problem? :huh:

Yes, I checked my Sonic CD and the mp3s are 128kbps just as notaz noted. However I don't remember if I had to convert them or if it came that way.

Notaz, any word on Game Gear support? I've been kind of disappointed in AlexKidd2X on the Wiz, so if you could add Game Gear support to this thing, that would be awesome!

joeycaruzo said:
I was using 192kbps,that is the problem? :huh:
Could be, maybe try 128, it's been a while since I did that code..

jmetal88 said:
Notaz, any word on Game Gear support? I've been kind of disappointed in AlexKidd2X on the Wiz, so if you could add Game Gear support to this thing, that would be awesome!
No progress there I'm afraid, but I plan to return to PD after I'm done with PSX stuff.

notaz said:
No progress there I'm afraid, but I plan to return to PD after I'm done with PSX stuff.
Hopefully this means propper Vsync on the Caanoo port..

I'm desperate to see something on the Caanoo actually support Vsync.

It seriously needs investigating on what the LCD timings are.

lnx64 said:
Hopefully this means propper Vsync on the Caanoo port..

I'm desperate to see something on the Caanoo actually support Vsync.
Kinda unlikely. And vsync is already there, but it doesn't result in what you want because the LCD runs at different rate than the game (no use to vsync to it).

That seriously bites. I bought the Caanoo because everyone told me it had Vsync then turned out I was lied too with a product that didn't work as I was told.

notaz said:
...I plan to return to PD after I'm done with PSX stuff.

Awesome! Do you have an idea of what you'll be doing with it? Maybe some 32x optimization? That
would be great so we can get a good Star Wars fighter game.

Picodrive 180 has 4 systems and when i tried run games in all systems it shows black screen,when will get update to play them on tv.

You can't stop anything being open source if anyone else already has a copy of it, which I suspect is likely for picodrive. If you're the developer you can license future changes however you like, although if the base is GPL that restricts what you can do.

The actual license for Notaz's port on github looks to be very similar* to the MAME license, which actually forbids it's use in a commerical product, but I doubt that's been tested in court yet.

* May be identical from all that I've seen so far.

Reactions: rSl
Back