Picodrive 1.40

Got my GP2X F200 last night and the first emulator I tried was Pico Drive, and frankly it's awesome. Great job Notaz and all who worked on it.

I tried a load of games last night, the only one that didn't seem to work was Championship PRO-AM, everything else worked like a charm.

Thanks again and keep up the great work.

benjamouth said:
Got my GP2X F200 last night and the first emulator I tried was Pico Drive, and frankly it's awesome. Great job Notaz and all who worked on it.

I tried a load of games last night, the only one that didn't seem to work was Championship PRO-AM, everything else worked like a charm.

Thanks again and keep up the great work.
Must be your rom. I play championship pro-am on picodrive all the time, including last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
naples39 said:
Must be your rom. I play championship pro-am on picodrive all the time, including last night.
Ahhh thanks for that, I'll try and get another one.

Duddyroar said:
I honestly didn't think this emulator could get any better - excellent work! Virtua Racing runs like a dream!
The funny thing is, I've tried Virtua Racing on my PC with GENS...it doesn't work! :lol: A PC Emulator can't handle a game, the GP2X Emulator can, very interesting. :D

fusion_power said:
By the way, what's the correct aspect ratio of Virtua Racing? The unscaled Image in Picodrive or the horizontal streched one? The unscaled 1:1 looks sharp and good but it seems to be a little bit to "thin" ^^""
Ideas, anyone? ^_^

fusion_power said:
fusion_power said:
By the way, what's the correct aspect ratio of Virtua Racing? The unscaled Image in Picodrive or the horizontal streched one? The unscaled 1:1 looks sharp and good but it seems to be a little bit to "thin" ^^""
Ideas, anyone? ^_^

4:3, see a video from the real hardware:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO7dbgTIUYs

fusion_power said:
The funny thing is, I've tried Virtua Racing on my PC with GENS...it doesn't work! :lol: A PC Emulator can't handle a game, the GP2X Emulator can, very interesting. :D
Yeah, but Fusion(Gens) can handle VR 32X, so what is this, a tie? :)

Notaz, would any of your work on the Virtua Processor be useful to people working on SuperFX for SNES emus? Just curious.

bman said:
Yeah, but Fusion(Gens) can handle VR 32X, so what is this, a tie? :)
And they usually have > 10x of horsepower to do that..

imhotep said:
Notaz, would any of your work on the Virtua Processor be useful to people working on SuperFX for SNES emus? Just curious.
No, unfortunately. SuperFX is a completely different beast.

SVP on a small machine like the GP2X do always win. :)

SVP has more power than the Nintendo SFX Chip. But I know how complicated the SNES emulation is. SFX Games are slow even on my (old 1.1GHz) PC when I play Starfox with ZNES. This Emulation Thing really can be a weird science when we see, that we have a Full-Speed Mega Drive Emulator WITH SVP Emulation on GP2X and we still have no full Speed SNES Emulator without SFX Emulation. :lol:

fusion_power said:
SVP on a small machine like the GP2X do always win. :)

SVP has more power than the Nintendo SFX Chip. But I know how complicated the SNES emulation is. SFX Games are slow even on my (old 1.1GHz) PC when I play Starfox with ZNES. This Emulation Thing really can be a weird science when we see, that we have a Full-Speed Mega Drive Emulator WITH SVP Emulation on GP2X and we still have no full Speed SNES Emulator without SFX Emulation. :lol:
Yeah even the normal SNES games can be slow still. I am hoping that eventually some more tweaks could be done to DrPocketSNES to maybe speed it up.

I think the rendering is what is slow to emulate.

Notaz, I know that you poked around in the SNES code before. Is it the rendering code that is inefficient? Are there things that still could be done if someone wrote a better renderer or is it at the limits of the GP2X hardware?

rememberthe8bit said:
I cannot do soft scaling anymore for some reason, it works when I am in the menus but it just disappears when I exit them.
You have to use 16bit renderer for soft scaling to work.

DaveC said:
Notaz, I know that you poked around in the SNES code before. Is it the rendering code that is inefficient? Are there things that still could be done if someone wrote a better renderer or is it at the limits of the GP2X hardware?
Probably, but I don't remember much, I know squidgesnes (which is only OpenSnes9xGP from gp32, really) had some really messy renderer code, and I haven't looked at PocketSnes renderer at all.

notaz said:
I've just uploaded another quick release with some recently reported minor bugs fixed. Download here.

Nice... Thanks. :)

Thanks for the update Notaz, though I'm having trouble with the download. Can anybody who's already downloaded mirror this?

EDIT: Nevermind, working nice and fast now.

Back